Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb 23-24th Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that area sure is looking prime right along the Wis./Ill. border.

That would be where I am at! +S right now. 1/4 mile visibility. 33.0° here. Ground is covered and it is snowing hard enough to stick on the roads. Had about 20-25 minutes of mix, then went straight to monster sized flakes.

come on now, first off, the term is Alberta Clipper, second the original low has already given way to the secondary which is cutting NE from southern MO....This isn't a clipper by any stretch.

Yeah, it's a hybrid. The dividing line between a clipper and a gulf connected low is somewhat ambiguous though. They both come off the Rocky mountains, just one does it in Canada and the other in the central US.

That slant stick'n rascal is going to make out like a bandit. (insert haters ball pic here)

56095738_15d318e014.jpg

Flakes starting to mix in here...hopefully this is the beginning of the real changeover

Lol! I take a picture of my final measurement for ya!

I was watching the cars coming northbound on Green Bay Rd and some of them had 1-2" of snow on them. - not that much here yet. Sounds like central Lake County has done pretty good so far.

Yeah, it's a hybrid. The dividing line between a clipper and a gulf connected low is somewhat ambiguous though. They both come off the Rocky mountains, just one does it in Canada and the other in the central US.

Clipper is an overused term. This is definitely not a clipper by any stretch, not even close. Classic clippers form along the Polar Front beginning as surface waves and are usually Pacific occlusions that reform in the lee of the Rockies...preferably Alberta. By their nature and where they form they basically never have any sort of GOM feed. They certainly are not long wave rossby waves.

Trying to figure out how I'm going to get my sleep in tonight... I can't exactly just crash early since I'm in a dorm with another guy, probably wouldn't like it if I turned the lights off at midnight.

When do you guys think the best chance for TSSN will be for SEMI? I've swear I've always happened to be at some noisy indoor event every time theres thundersnow in the area and I've never heard/seen it :( (#firstworldproblems)

Lol! I take a picture of my final measurement for ya!

I was watching the cars coming northbound on Green Bay Rd and some of them had 1-2" of snow on them. - not that much here yet. Sounds like central Lake County has done pretty good so far.

You look good, your area is pretty much prime along with McHenry Co. Good Luck.

Clipper is an overused term. This is definitely not a clipper by any stretch, not even close. Classic clippers from along the Polar Front beginning as surface waves and are usually Pacific occlusions that reform in the lee of the Rockies...preferably Alberta. By their nature and where they form they basically never have any sort of GOM feed. They certainly are not long wave rossby waves.

Yeah, I got somewhat confused by posters saying there was a Saskatchewan low, looking at the sfc map archive it's clear that one has basically nothing to do with this.

Clipper is an overused term. This is definitely not a clipper by any stretch, not even close. Classic clippers from along the Polar Front beginning as surface waves and are usually Pacific occlusions that reform in the lee of the Rockies...preferably Alberta. By their nature and where they form they basically never have any sort of GOM feed. They certainly are not long wave rossby waves.

Thanks for this. That is what I always thought of when using the word clipper. Since being on these forums I hear clipper all the time now and was wondering.

Trying to figure out how I'm going to get my sleep in tonight... I can't exactly just crash early since I'm in a dorm with another guy, probably wouldn't like it if I turned the lights off at midnight.

When do you guys think the best chance for TSSN will be for SEMI? I've swear I've always happened to be at some noisy indoor event every time theres thundersnow in the area and I've never heard/seen it :( (#firstworldproblems)

Go to bed now. We have a few hours before anything really gets going in Oakland County.

I am going to argue against that...only gulf connection is 850. Vort max coming out of wyoming/nebraska area. Certainly not an Alberta clipper...and I don't picture it as a Saskatchewan Screamer or manitoba momma but it's in between everything since it did dig far enough south before heading eastnam_namer_000_500_vort_ht.gif

I am going to argue against that...only gulf connection is 850. Vort max coming out of wyoming/nebraska area

I really don't want to clutter the thread with this disco, but this is not a clipper by any definition. Clippers are low amplitude waves along the polar front. A classic config is a nearly straight polar jet featuring a low amplitude disturbance along it with a sharp low level baroclinic zone. They have an incredibly fast phase speed due to their short wavelength config aloft (and total lack of LHR given their dry nature...hence cyclogenesis along the polar front is steady state...not nonlinear) and remain short wavelength features through their life span. A large upper level rossby wave (like this storm) is the opposite of a clipper. This is also why this storm is so slow to develop. Driven strongly by jet scale forcing along an amplifying upper level trough. Saying the "mid level wave ejects WY/NE" really means nothing.

Some pretty cool waves showing up on the DVN 88D. BI would appreciate this.

They're standing gravity waves at that, so they're propagating directly opposite to the flow at the exact speed of the flow. Know what else goes exactly opposite to the flow? A mountain range!

Water vapor suggests these waves are coming directly off a range in the Rockies. I'm not 100% sure about this, but if it's true there is some incredible ducting going on in some layer.

http://mapmaker.aos.wisc.edu/scr3/sat/g8/g8wvflash.html

Check the most recent DtX AFD I thought it stated 5z as the start of convective fun. Basically middle of the night weeee hours of the morning.

Archived