• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
2/29 - 3/1

NEG NAO

The 0z NMM was finally back to reality again after its 12z run which was too cold compared to the rest of the models. There's still some conflicting signs between a slightly cooler outcome, or a warmer one which the NMM/ARW, NAM and the 0z CMC are supporting, but for now I'd go with a solution a little colder than the NAM/CMC considering that there's still some cold around when the precip moves in, but with no accumulations in NYC, little to no accums in the N/W suburbs, and at least 1-3" going into southern CT and interior SE NY.

• Replies 883
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree that the colder solution. I expect a brief heavy burst of hesvy wet snow then go to sleet and eventually to rain for city and most of LI with little or no acculumation. It may the case that parts of LI may see more snow than NYC in this type of set up CAD is more prolong. The. E/SE flow will prevent this being major event.

probably grasping at straws but the precip is much more impressive than forecast over the GL

(obvi time sensitive)

http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/centgrtlakes_loop.php

it may simply be rain to start, but if NYC has the NAM's thermal profiles for 3-4 hours after the onset of precip I would not be surprised to see a slushy accumulation and persistent rain/snow mix with huge gloppy flakes... the rates could be quite nice before changeover. looks like the event may even be significant for the northern suburbs?

(question; more likely to see more snow with ~150' or so of elevation in West Harlem or 500' up in Midtown? we shall see come 10AM...!)

Lack of onshore flow, rural radiational cooling and slightly further north position closer to the cold air source are the name of the game.

I know, if the onset was sooner people would be surprised, but its not. montauk is in a better situation then NYC in this setup due to latitude but the end result is the same cold, Sh%*y rain.

Why ppl are surprised montauk will be colder then NYC is beyond me, they are further north, DUH.

EDIT: DUH :facepalm: :facepalm:

Now that this is effectively a banter thread i will respond...i am not surprised...i said it is weird...because 19 times out of 20 montauk will be warmer in a winter storm.

Did i ever mention how could montauk be colder on a clear night? Or during the summer with a sea breeze? Im not a moron dude, i was stating that it was peculiar and abnormal, which it is. Sometimes you need to realize we have a bit more knowledge than you think and elevate the discussion a bit.

I know, if the onset was sooner people would be surprised, but its not. montauk is in a better situation then NYC in this setup due to latitude but the end result is the same cold, Sh%*y rain.

If latitude was the issue, why are sections north and west of here warmer too? Montauks latitude has very little to do with why they might stay colder longer....their longitude does in this case though. LOL at expecting montauk to be colder because its further north.

Most areas south of I -80 will start as rain - areas north of I-80 might see a mix at the start only areas that will see mainly frozen to start are northwest NJ and maybe  northern Westchester - orange counties

http://www.intellica...cation=USDC0001

i disagree with this statement. I think alot of people will start has sleet south of I80.

It's not looking so good south of I-80. DPs are quickly on the rise with an east wind. It's not really looking so great south of the apprx. 287 line. But it's possible the surface temps will cool a few degrees below the wetbulb temp as sometimes happens in heavy precip. I think I saw 43/29 at Newark. That's ugly.

Archived