gopenoxfox
2/29 - 3/1

NEG NAO

• Replies 883
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like the NAM gave parts of Northern NJ nearly a foot of snow

snow60.gif

Is it just me or are the E-Wall snow maps for the NAM exaggerated for this storm? The soundings on Twisterdata show only 1 3-hour frame with moderate snow/sleet in NE NJ, the storm on the 18z NAM loop at NCEP also seems to support a brief period of snow/sleet over to rain, yet this map has me with nearly 8 inches... it doesn't seem to make sense.

Is it just me or are the E-Wall snow maps for the NAM exaggerated for this storm? The soundings on Twisterdata show only 1 3-hour frame with moderate snow/sleet in NE NJ, the storm on the 18z NAM loop at NCEP also seems to support a brief period of snow/sleet over to rain, yet this map has me with nearly 8 inches... it doesn't seem to make sense.

I really can't speak for the accuracy of these maps -- I don't know the algorithm or how it's made. In my experience that have been pretty "accurate" to what the model is showing...this time there does seem to be some disconnect between the other model data and the snowfall maps being produced.

And they gave you nothing last week and you woke up to 4 inches. What's your point? Do they control the weather? You bust on them left and right but now their zone forecast is the absolute outcome.

Never said that. Just stated what their forecast was. It's a tough call. Most of the time, the rain scenario verifies. But we had the 1 in 25 event last weekend and now you think every storm will do that...with the seasonal trend I'm thinking the rainn scenario for coastal CT is the correct one

NMM

hrw-nmm_eus_033_precip_p03.gif

0z runs should be interesting. Hopefully they stick with the cooling trend.

For what it's worth, it seems colder than the rest of the models... the NMM though does frequently show a wet bias, and this is possibly one of them - over 1/2" QPF in just 3 hours, even the NAM shows that much precipitation in a 6 hour, not a 3 hour frame.

For what it's worth, it seems colder than the rest of the models... the NMM though does frequently show a wet bias, and this is possibly one of them - over 1/2" QPF in just 3 hours, even the NAM shows that much precipitation in a 6 hour, not a 3 hour frame.

MM5 is also colder than the other models.

Never said that. Just stated what their forecast was. It's a tough call. Most of the time, the rain scenario verifies. But we had the 1 in 25 event last weekend and now you think every storm will do that...with the seasonal trend I'm thinking the rainn scenario for coastal CT is the correct one

people know where to find upton's forecast, the only reason to post it is if you agree with it

yeah, i am predicting every storm will do that. Show me where I said that. This is a better setup than that, that is what I said.

Great beginning of the latest AFD from NWSFO Minneapolis:

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TWIN CITIES/CHANHASSEN MN

523 PM CST TUE FEB 28 2012

.DISCUSSION...

WHAT A DIFFERENCE ABOUT 125 MILES MAKES... WHICH IS ROUGHLY THE

DIFFERENCE IN WHERE THIS SYSTEM LOOKS TO BE TRACKING VS HOW IT

APPEARED TWO DAYS AGO. OVERALL... THIS MEANS THE FORECAST IS

PRETTY SIMILAR TO WHAT HAS BEEN EXPECTED... EXCEPT EVERYTHING HAS

BEEN SHIFTED BY ABOUT THAT DISTANCE NORTHWARD. THERE WILL BE SOME

ADDITIONAL CHANGES FORTHCOMING IN TERMS OF THE HEADLINES AND

SNOWFALL EXPECTATIONS... AS WELL AS THE NORTHWARD EXTENT OF MIXED

PRECIPITATION.