12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Central PA Winter Cont'd cont'd

The Iceman

• Replies 981
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow...this "winter" has gone straight from an extended November right to May.

Those are some pretty respectable CAPEs for the middle of March. I remain blown away at the longevity of this major warm spell.

This is historic. It really is. I bought floating row covers for my cold hardy stuff to protect stuff from any freezes, so I can get planting.

I was poking around in the main forecasting forums' medium range, looks like we may turn colder toward end of month, and maybe below average first week of April. But up and down in April. MAG, pennman, I don't know if we have seen our last snow flakes.

But the back of this weak winter is totally broken. Onward to spring.

This is historic. It really is. I bought floating row covers for my cold hardy stuff to protect stuff from any freezes, so I can get planting.

I was poking around in the main forecasting forums' medium range, looks like we may turn colder toward end of month, and maybe below average first week of April. But up and down in April. MAG, pennman, I don't know if we have seen our last snow flakes.

But the back of this weak winter is totally broken. Onward to spring.

Full fledge buds on a couple of trees around the house have showed up today, probably about a month ahead of schedule. Gotta love this particular part of March, it could be 80 degrees or you could have the blizzard of the century. If we continue to have such high departures through next week I would imagine it's quite likely this month is easily going to be the warmest March on record...even if that reality check shows up the last week of the month. And I am a bit leery of eventually paying for this insanity down the road in some fashion.

Today should easily mark the 6th consecutive day with a >20° positive departure from normal here in State College. If the forecast holds for the week, we should manage 10-11 days in a row greater than 20° above normal...I wonder when/if that has happened before? It's not the most exciting weather, but it's extremely pleasant and extremely rare.

Talked to my dad last night, and he has planted the garden at home with typical cold season plants such as peas, broccoli, lettuce, and radishes. Earliest planting by almost 2 full weeks.

Today should easily mark the 6th consecutive day with a >20° positive departure from normal here in State College. If the forecast holds for the week, we should manage 10-11 days in a row greater than 20° above normal...I wonder when/if that has happened before? It's not the most exciting weather, but it's extremely pleasant and extremely rare.

Talked to my dad last night, and he has planted the garden at home with typical cold season plants such as peas, broccoli, lettuce, and radishes. Earliest planting by almost 2 full weeks.

So have I. I've planted cold stuff. I got floating row covers in case it gets too cold later.

Is everyone watching the monthly departure from normal at MDT? Through the 17th the departure was +8.4 degrees. Today's departure was 17 degrees above normal which means that 0.9 degrees of additional positive departure is added onto the 8.4 placing MDT at +9.3 degrees through the 18th. From the looks of the upcoming week's forecast the departure should have grown to between 12 and 13 degrees above by next weekend when we "cool down" to the low 60's for highs.

Can someone please look up the top 5 or 10 warmest Marches for MDT? It seems like we may destroy the previous number one slot by the end of the month. I have no idea what year the warmest MDT March would have been. I don't think I can remember ever having such a prolonged and extreme departure from normal on the warm side during a cold month ever...and I'm 52!

Just wait and see....we will probably turn around on April first and have a huge snowstorm during the first week of April. Who here is old enough to remember April 6-7, 1982? NYC NWS issued a blizzard warning for a snowstorm that dumped 9" of snow and set two record low temps for both days at 21 degrees. The high temperature on the 7th with full sun after the storm had departed only reached 32 degrees. So, stranger things have indeed happened before in the past. We'll see what later this month into next brings our way.

Meanwhile, I will keep updating the MDT departure each day until this insanity ends.

Archived