• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Pattern looks improved for possible KU event 2/18-2/25 time range

Mikehobbyst

This 84 hr NAM stuff has to stop. We have no idea if the new and updated model has any of the same problems the older versions do. The model has had several significant upgrades and just because its the 84 Hr NAM does not mean its wrong.

Upgrades or not the model isn't great at the edge of its scope. It doesn't take a met to see this. Looking at model runs after model runs for this whole winter will show all the models have been especially bad in the mid-range. So its not just the NAM. Its just historically much better in the <48hr timeframe

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am well aware of this. All I am saying is that we dont actually know if the NAM has those same biases anymore. ALL the models have been struggling this winter in the medium range.

Upgrades or not the model isn't great at the edge of its scope. It doesn't take a met to see this. Looking at model runs after model runs for this whole winter will show all the models have been especially bad in the mid-range. So its not just the NAM. Its just historically much better in the <48hr timeframe

GFS is introducing a new piece of energy dropping down from Canada at 72

Such a complex setup. Wouldn't surprise me if we don't see a united solution until 24-36 hours beforehand. One wave somewhere in this flow can destroy the whole setup when many of them are interacting.

Another reason I enjoy Ninos better than Ninas. So much chaos in these fast-flow setups.

Not sure if anyone saw this or posted it. But we got Pac Recon data in the GFS:

NOUS42 KWNO 151458
ADMNFD

SENIOR DUTY METEOROLOGIST NWS ADMINISTRATIVE MESSAGE
NWS NCEP CENTRAL OPERATIONS CAMP SPRINGS MD
1454Z WED FEB 15 2012
THE 12Z NAM HAS COMPLETED WITH NO DELAYS...THE 12Z GFS HAS STARTED
ON-TIME...
12Z RAOB RECAP...
TAE/72214 - PURGED TEMP/RH 968-950 MB...WET BULB EFFECT
NKX/72293 - PURGED TEMP/RH 851-826 MB...WET BULB EFFECT
SYA/70414 - UNAVBL
PPG/91765 - 10159
ADDITIONALLY...16 DROPSONDE IN SUPPORT OF WSR OPERATIONS WERE AVBL
FOR GFS INGEST...
$$
OREILLY/SDM/NCO/NCEP

We might be lucky that we have this confluence, kicker and fast northern stream, lol. Otherwise, this would make a bee-line for the Lakes with a strong southern vort and a phase. Such are the perils of no-blocking setups.

We need some blocking to force the northern stream furser south and to prevent the southern stream from riding too far north.

This is why we're dealing w/ a very delicate situation here, walking the tightrope as we've seen the full spectrum of model solutions over the past 24 hours from out to sea, to rainy, coastal hugger. The 50/50 low is the only thing synoptically keeping us in the game for a snow event, as someone earlier had noted. The amount of phasing we get w/ the northern stream will determine the storm's path; for us on the coast, I think we need to hope for a partial phase. A monster congealing of energy in a Nina pattern is likely to result in a plastering of the interior Northeast and garbage fest in the I-95 corridor. The flow is relatively zonal and the cold air is lacking; the confluence in sern Canada via the 50/50 should prevent a solution more amped than the 12z gfs suggest however (I'd say this run is pretty much the NW limit)

The dynamics would likely make it snow up to just west of the track. For the coast though, looks like a driving rain with that track. We need it a bit further east. Wouldn't matter if there's a high or not.

Ya it looks like NYC west would do fine...except coastal sections (southern bklyn, southern queens). The 850line kind of straddles northern NYC.

Archived