Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2 Yrs Ago -- 2 Major Storms in 5 Days

blizzardlover

I

Could have sworn I was so caught up on the 1st storm, that the 2nd didn't even catch my eye till the snow ended on the 1st storm...

Talk about weenie alert! No one at work believed me either when I said another major storm was coming.

Which storm gave Philly 27"? 2nd largest snowfall behind 96.

This has to be my favorite week of winter ever, although '96 is still my favorite storm.

12.5" from the first storm.

23" from the second (although that was basically divided into two parts).

It's a shame these scenarios don't happen more often. Getting smoked by one storm while looking at the models come together on another stemwinder only days later was very exciting.

I

Could have sworn I was so caught up on the 1st storm, that the 2nd didn't even catch my eye till the snow ended on the 1st storm...

Talk about weenie alert! No one at work believed me either when I said another major storm was coming.

Which storm gave Philly 27"? 2nd largest snowfall behind 96.

February 5-6, 2010 gave Philly 28.5''. Especially crazy considering NYC only got a trace.

I was in awe, living in North Jersey, that PHL could have matched the January 1996 blizzard's total of 30.7"...

I thought they were gonna do it... I saw PHL had 26.7", then it was increasing to 28.5", then I thought "wow, they are two inches away from JAN 1996, can they hit 31?"

But IMO, I always will believe this, JAN 1996 dumped 3 feet in Philly.

Some incredible memories, for sure. 43.5" on the ground here the morning after round 2. I thought I'd never see 33" on the ground again after '96, so who knows if it ever happens again (def not this year). This shot doesn't illustrate the depth, just the beauty and awesomeness of such an incredibly snowy period...

post-383-0-07636000-1328652742.jpg

(during round 2)

Quite the month....with 5 Ft 3" (62.8") of snow falling here in NW Chesco here is how it went

2nd/3rd - 3.3"

5th/6th - 18.3"

9th/10th - 26.8"

15th/16th - 1.1"

25th/26th - 13.5"

Of course only good for 2nd snowiest month ever in Chester County history behind Feb 1899 with 69.8" - so we should be due for another 5ft of snow in a month sometime around February 2105 - I will only be 142 at that point!!

February 10 was quite amazing. It should have been the greatest storm of all time had it bombed quicker and pulled the temps a bit colder. PHL area had 7-8" of snow in 2-4 hours, then some warming and missed banding occured.

Upton was forecasting 25-27" up here, but it never occured due to the sfc low and H500 track was a bit SW.

• 2 weeks later...

I had so much fun that winter. I had bought snowshoes and had a great time. Unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity to use them since, because you need at least 6 inches of snow and we've only had one 6 inch storm here since last winter and my employer stayed open and the snow was gone fairly quickly.

Archived