Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
February 10-13 Storm Obs/Discussion

Deck Pic

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn. I've tried to ignore this threat because it just didn't seem probable at all that we would pop a low in front of the front.

NAM pretty much puts us in a decent stripe of .25-.49.

Not sure where the cold air comes from here. We got nothing n&w of us in this case. Maybe the time of year saves us. idk- kinda skeptical overall. Where's Wes?

let's not forget folks we were 36 or 48 hrs. ahead of yesterday's system and the NAM did the same thing with +.25" qpf and cold BL temps (colder than what it is showing for us now) and we know how that worked

as much as I hope we see something, one can't believe the NAM at this range (or any range for that matter this winter)

let's not forget folks we were 36 or 48 hrs. ahead of yesterday's system and the NAM did the same thing with +.25" qpf and cold BL temps (colder than what it is showing for us now) and we know how that worked

as much as I hope we see something, one can't believe the NAM at this range (or any range for that matter this winter)

Im mainly interested to see what the rest of the 12z suite has to say about the potential, many of the models have been trending, at least the nam and the euro were the ones to start it.

It's a paradox. Sub freezing temps pressing all the way down into tx and a beast of a hp coming out of canada. Move the further east and poof, storm goes way off shore. I guess we have to keep a close eye on se ca and upstate ny and see if anything favorable happens.

It's a paradox. Sub freezing temps pressing all the way down into tx and a beast of a hp coming out of canada. Move the further east and poof, storm goes way off shore. I guess we have to keep a close eye on se ca and upstate ny and see if anything favorable happens.

Yeah it is definitely sucking us in to at least watch for a miracle.

look at that Low over the PA/NY border...it's completely fooking up our surface flow; there's a reflection of it on the prior map or two also

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/NCOMAGWEB/appcontroller?page=Image&prevPage=Paramℑ=..%2FGemPakTier%2FMagGemPakImages%2Fnam%2F20120209%2F12%2Fnam_namer_042_10m_wnd_precip_l.gif&fcast=042&imagesurls=&model=NAM&area=NAMER&storm=&areaDesc=North+America+-+US+Canada+and+northern+Mexico&cat=MODEL+GUIDANCE&rname=SFC-LAYER+PARMS&pname=10m_wnd_precip&cycle=02%2F09%2F2012+12UTC&imageSize=L&currKey=model&scrollx=0&scrolly=102&nextImage=yes

hitting all these bl problems in late jan and early feb kinda goes against conventional wisdom in these parts. Even with hp's around the lakes and ca/ny area, we still can't really cool down. Is it the lack of snowcover? It's not like the cold air isn't aloft because it is. we keep battling ground temps and it seems odd. This time of year is easy to get cool seasonal air at the surface but it's just not around even when hp placements would argue against it.

This system has a few nice things in its favor... occurring at night, a deep moist layer and plenty of cold air aloft. Boundary level temps will be the biggest problem up until around 6z (per the models), but stuff that falls after 06z should be snow that has the potential to stick on non-paved surfaces (which would be UP TO 0.1" QPF for the DC region).

The analysis is only based on the most recent model runs... obviously there's still room for change (either in favor or against more snow).

EDIT: Added cold air aloft.

the NAM is warm in ENE

I'm sure if our friends to the NE check soundings, they won't like what they see any more than we like what we see

sure, they'll do better, but it won't be as it looks at first blush imho....understand I haven't looked at anyone's soundings, just the 2m temp maps off NCEP so maybe I'll be proved wrong

look at that Low over the PA/NY border...it's completely fooking up our surface flow; there's a reflection of it on the prior map or two also

http://mag.ncep.noaa...2&nextImage=yes

yea, i was looking at that on the raleigh maps but the ncep depicts the issue much better. even with that weak area of lp, you would still think that bl shouldn't be such an issue given the climo time of year. this year is odd on many levels.

Damn. I've tried to ignore this threat because it just didn't seem probable at all that we would pop a low in front of the front.

NAM pretty much puts us in a decent stripe of .25-.49.

Not sure where the cold air comes from here. We got nothing n&w of us in this case. Maybe the time of year saves us. idk- kinda skeptical overall. Where's Wes?

It almost looks like yesterdays lil event, up this way. maybe a tad warmer to start though

hitting all these bl problems in late jan and early feb kinda goes against conventional wisdom in these parts. Even with hp's around the lakes and ca/ny area, we still can't really cool down. Is it the lack of snowcover? It's not like the cold air isn't aloft because it is. we keep battling ground temps and it seems odd. This time of year is easy to get cool seasonal air at the surface but it's just not around even when hp placements would argue against it.

Bob, I can honestly say I've never seen a winter like this where our problem has been BL temps with every system, starting back in OCT; yeah, I could understand that one, but not, as you say, late JAN-early FEB

This place is groundhog day.

Archived