northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
February 2012 General Discussion

Nic

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a nice day.... Looks like some clouds could brush us, but more clearing to the south...

12z GFS IS A TORCH... Oh my God...

My greenhouse hit 80F earlier...just put it up a few days ago. Nice to sit in there and enjoy a little of the tropics...already put onion seedlings out there. Plan on leaving them unless overnight lows drop below 18F (inside should stay about 10F warmer).

If the GFS verfies we can kiss the snow we have goodbye.

Strong signal on the GFS ensembles for a big storm toward the end of the month. Almost every member has a big event of some sort in that timeframe...pretty impressive considering how far out it is.

Edit: P007 at 288 hours with a 972 mb low near Lake Huron.

Maybe a couple of systems, the 180-216 range had a good number of ensembles with a storm of decent magnitude.

buckeye-

Could spell doom for some plants. I wouldn't be shocked if trees start budding if we get too much warmth, especially areas in the south. I've already read about farmers in Ohio who are scared for their apple crops this year. Then just watch as we get a chunk of arctic air in mid/late March and just wipe out everything on the east side of the country.

18z GFS didn't back off an inch regarding Sunday's storm.

Per the NE forum, the EURO ensemble mean was 100-150 miles further NW than the OP EURO.

Maybe I'm grasping at straws as I see winter's conclusion rapidly approaching, but I think there's at least a small chance this produces some accumulating snow in the eastern OV/Lakes.

18z GFS didn't back off an inch regarding Sunday's storm.

Per the NE forum, the EURO ensemble mean was 100-150 miles further NW than the OP EURO.

Maybe I'm grasping at straws as I see winter's conclusion rapidly approaching, but I think there's at least a small chance this produces some accumulating snow in the eastern OV/Lakes.

I can already tell this will do one of two things here, given I have plans to go skiing/snow tubing Bellefontaine on Sunday...

1.) Miss completely, pissing me off a bit

2.) Come so close to being a major storm there that I'm in a bad mood the whole trip

3.) End up being a major storm, cancelling my plans.

I'd bet on the 1st one being the most likely, but for areas east of a line of Sandusky to CMH I could see a little bit of a snow tease, assuming anything like the GFS verifies.

Regardless of what the gfs is doing, the 800lb gorilla in the room sucking all the oxygen is the suppressed euro and it's fairly consistent solutions. I don't ever recall the gfs scoring a coupe in this timeframe over the euro....ever.

If this was the good ole days of the inevitable nw trend, I'd be sweating a Detroit cutter right now.

Ended up pulling off a decent finish to the day. Around 3 pm the sun broke out. Felt nice and did some damage to frozen snow dirt piles along the street. Turtlehuricane made a mention of a Cardinal and returning birds. This has now forced me to search for the 1st Robin sighting. Ideally you start to see these in early to mid March but it's not out of the ordinary to spot a robin or robins in late Feb.

f90.gif

The last one in the second row looks so beautiful and atleast this isnt a week out but I'm amazed at the amount of possibilities this storm has. If we can have atleast two storms this Winter over 8", I will take away all the bad stuff I said about this Winter, or most of them lol.

Its all a matter of timing with this one. Whether it phases or not is the big question mark.

The last one in the second row looks so beautiful and atleast this isnt a week out but I'm amazed at the amount of possibilities this storm has. If we can have atleast two storms this Winter over 8", I will take away all the bad stuff I said about this Winter, or most of them lol.

Its all a matter of timing with this one. Whether it phases or not is the big question mark.

I'd take P002 or P003 in a heart beat. Nice 2-4/3-5 type deal.

Just a shame that the kicker coming into WA cannot disappear. Would allow me to commit to the UKIE/GFS camp more fully.

I'd take P002 or P003 in a heart beat. Nice 2-4/3-5 type deal.

Just a shame that the kicker coming into WA cannot disappear. Would allow me to commit to the UKIE/GFS camp more fully.

I'm giving it till Friday 0z the latest. I suspect alot of model fluctuations thru the next few days as the energy gets sampled, etc. Basically its the GFS/Ukie/JMA vs the Euro/CMC.

The Nam is all over the place.

i just checked out the 18z gfs ensemble mean and it has the low over central VA at 90 hrs. really amazing as I would have expected that the OP might be the outlier and the ensembles would be much further east.

We need one of two things too happen, either the northern features slow down or the sw speeds up. One thing to look for in future runs is if the southern vort shows signs of opening up quicker. One of the issues is it closes off and slows down letting the northern branch out run it.

i just checked out the 18z gfs ensemble mean and it has the low over central VA at 90 hrs. really amazing as I would have expected that the OP might be the outlier and the ensembles would be much further east.

We need one of two things too happen, either the northern features slow down or the sw speeds up. One thing to look for in future runs is if the southern vort shows signs of opening up quicker. One of the issues is it closes off and slows down letting the northern branch out run it.

In my mind it would be good if the s/w vort energy slows down and secludes itself across the S/W and waits for the northern stream to move further East to allow for a better phase and a further West track. I wouldn't use the teleconnections to deteremine the track for this storm as its all about the placements of the vort energies and how it reacts.

Again alot of possibilities so dont get your hopes up until we see some consistency.

In my mind it would be good if the s/w vort energy slows down and secludes itself across the S/W and waits for the northern stream to move further East to allow for a better phase and a further West track. I wouldn't use the teleconnections to deteremine the track for this storm as its all about the placements of the vort energies and how it reacts.

Again alot of possibilities so dont get your hopes up until we see some consistency.

If you're talking about that kicker coming into the nw phasing with the sw, that would really crank this thing way west. I'd be sweating rain on that scenario.

Archived