northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
February 2012 General Discussion

Nic

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

March has been almost a non story for many years around here. I would agree we are due for a 6+ inch march cement snow. Although in this winter achieving that might be difficult.

Right on! Winter in the midwest the past couple years has been about two month...mid December to mid February. October now runs into December and March starts in February.

I'm no exper,t but the recent NAO has a different flatter look. Even a potential not (+ve) look in late Feb. Snow breeds snow, so lets all hope that winter becomes winter and not an over extended fall.

I've been following that as well. There even a ridge parked over southern Greenland right now. Labrador region contains some good cold weather right now.

A thought. We've moved into the favorable phase of the MJO for snows; 1, and yet this incoming system does not look like a widespread snow maker. Maybe there is a lag period involved.

Looks like I'll be cleansed of one Old Hickory next week.

Bets with BowMe updated. LSE gets to 20" after yesterday's snowfall. Bet #1 almost locked up. :guitar:

Bet #1 - MKE and LSE not getting to 20" for the season (season totals thru 2/13)

MKE: 17.8"

LSE: 20.0"

Bet #2 - Most snow the rest of the way...January 3 to present snowfall

LAF: 15.0" (thru 2/14)

MKE: 16.1" (thru 2/13)

YYZ: 6.9" (thru 2/11)

Looked like this week had a good shot of ending bet #1 but instead another turd sandwich was only on the menu here.

Should be a good race between LAF and MKE as we get a period of winter next week in to march.. Just don't know how YYZ is going to help my cause much but ya never know.

Looked like this week had a good shot of ending bet #1 but instead another turd sandwich was only on the menu here.

Should be a good race between LAF and MKE as we get a period of winter next week in to march.. Just don't know how YYZ is going to help my cause much but ya never know.

YYZ is a lost cause my friend. Go ahead and concede bet 2.

I've been following that as well. There even a ridge parked over southern Greenland right now. Labrador region contains some good cold weather right now.

A thought. We've moved into the favorable phase of the MJO for snows; 1, and yet this incoming system does not look like a widespread snow maker. Maybe there is a lag period involved.

there's more to it than just the MJO.

Seems YYZ has some measuring issues. It's up to you, and I don't mind, but we can drop them from bet #2 and just make it a two horse race between LAF and MKE.

Seems YYZ has some measuring issues. It's up to you, and I don't mind, but we can drop them from bet #2 and just make it a two horse race between LAF and MKE.

I haven't even been paying attention to YYZ (I just always like to read ssc post and how well he does) snowfall so I have no clue about any measuring issuses to date. I'm way cool with keeping the original bet unless its obvious from the canadian posters that YYZ is really off from here on out to the end and its a close race.. But as of right now I'm failing miserably with the YYZ end of the bet is all I meant and its not like MKE has the best measuring all of the time so in the end it probably evens out.

Nice pics, HM!

Madison should officially go over 20" today from this morning's snowfall.

ROFL, thats insane kinda, guess it was bound to happen eventually. I remember Madison in the Mid 90's, standing on top of giant snow mountains at West Towne Mall playing "King of the Hill".

I haven't even been paying attention to YYZ (I just always like to read ssc post and how well he does) snowfall so I have no clue about any measuring issuses to date. I'm way cool with keeping the original bet unless its obvious from the canadian posters that YYZ is really off from here on out to the end and its a close race.. But as of right now I'm failing miserably with the YYZ end of the bet is all I meant and its not like MKE has the best measuring all of the time so in the end it probably evens out.

Nice pics, HM!

Clowns measure at YYZ. In fact I think Tim may have paid them off. If you want a true representation of how much snow has fallen over here, use the North York station (quality controlled, measurements made by mets). I'll even put the number in my sig so you don't have to search. They're at 17.4" for the season so far. Much closer to what's actually happened over here and makes your bet interesting.

Clowns measure at YYZ. In fact I think Tim may have paid them off. If you want a true representation of how much snow has fallen over here, use the North York station (quality controlled, measurements made by mets). I'll even put the number in my sig so you don't have to search. They're at 17.4" for the season so far. Much closer to what's actually happened over here and makes your bet interesting.

:lol:

We're using the snowfall since January 3rd. The North York station is ok with me, if it's ok for BowMe. Any updates would be helpful.

YYZ is crap for measurements. I measured 4" of snow in my backyard this past Saturday.

Markham Buttonville also has good, accurate measurements.

YYZ is crap for measurements. I measured 4" of snow in my backyard this past Saturday.

Markham Buttonville also has good, accurate measurements.

Hey man I think you should have a talk with EC about there measuring styles at YYZ. Its horrible.....that March 08 blizzard really bothers me. 6" at YYZ when everyone surrounding got atleast 10". And how the F*ck did Pearson only get 31.3" in Jan 99 whereas every other station got over 40"?

So far I'm on par with Markham since its the closet station to me.

Archived