Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 20-21 2012 Snowstorm OBS & Disco

earthlight

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The last minute surge of WAA may be enough to change the south shore over to sleet or freezing rain...but it will come at the very end of the precipitation. I think it could reach my area as well.

But this is much more of a concern over Central NJ and even the NJ shoreline. I could see them getting really reduced amounts because of the initial boundary layer winds and then the mid level warming. These type of events almost never work out for them.

The last minute surge of WAA may be enough to change the south shore over to sleet or freezing rain...but it will come at the very end of the precipitation. I think it could reach my area as well.

But this is much more of a concern over Central NJ and even the NJ shoreline. I could see them getting really reduced amounts because of the initial boundary layer winds and then the mid level warming. These type of events almost never work out for them.

So you think it wont make it past the south shore?

It seems like where I am located is often where the battle line sets up. Sometimes I'll win and stay snow, other times 5 miles NW of me winds up getting a lot more.

snow is snow.

edit, looks like they have sleet mixing in a lot of zones now, they are favoring a warmer solution. oh well.

No they arent. Most models show sleet at the very end. Upton still going with the original 3"-6" for NYC area.

No models are really showing anyone over 6" of snow. Chances of that are isolated and low. Issuing WWA is the right move for the entire area, including north and west.

Edit: They raised accumulation to 4"-6" areawide.

I strongly agree.

Forecast looks on track. Moderate snowfall likely north of CNJ. Can't rule out mixing with sleet near the coast. I like the WWA but I understand why watches were originally posted and then taken down. This could be a borderline high end advisory and any changes to this afternoon's guidance could have warranted a warning.

Any normal winter, 4-6" is a big snow event. We have been so spoiled. As a kid I remember how excited I used to get about 3-6 inchers. Tonight and tomorrow morning should be a lot of fun.

Given the past two seasons, where 4-6" is a minot event, and last year we were talking about 1 to 2 feet events, but I would gladly take 3-5" of snow.

No they arent. Most models show sleet at the very end. Upton still going with the original 3"-6" for NYC area.

No models are really showing anyone over 6" of snow. Chances of that are isolated and low. Issuing WWA is the right move for the entire area, including north and west.

Edit: They raised accumulation to 4"-6" areawide.

Both Upton and Mt. Holly have gone with WWAdvisories only for up to 6", but with the assumption being that 6" won't be attained, generally, as would be needed to post the warnings. Looks like basically all snow north of about I-78 and for most of NYC metro, with sleet only mixing in south of there, near the end, as temps warm a bit. I'm guessing there is just not enough QPF for warnings, as there looks to be enough cold air in place in most areas. I'll still be ecstatic with 3-5" IMBY.

Yup, we always change over to plain rain in all SWFE's. However, still should get about 2" ahead of the H85 0c torch.

I have to say, taking the latest guidance into account, I am shocked that they did not go with warnings for at least part of the area.

Most NWS offices will not go with warnings in borderline situations like this. I agree that Orange county and some other ones in inland NJ likely will see warning amounts but there are few too many questions to be confident enough to go with a warning.

Most NWS offices will not go with warnings in borderline situations like this. I agree that Orange county and some other ones in inland NJ likely will see warning amounts but there are few too many questions to be confident enough to go with a warning.

I don't know, it seems pretty likely that inland areas will get at least 6". I never understood the point of ugrading to a warning either once the event has already begun. The guidance has been pretty consistent today, and that's why I'm so suprised.

Archived