• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 20-21 2012 Snowstorm OBS & Disco

earthlight

Any normal winter, 4-6" is a big snow event. We have been so spoiled. As a kid I remember how excited I used to get about 3-6 inchers. Tonight and tomorrow morning should be a lot of fun.

as an individual who grew up in the 80's i second this....

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The last minute surge of WAA may be enough to change the south shore over to sleet or freezing rain...but it will come at the very end of the precipitation. I think it could reach my area as well.

But this is much more of a concern over Central NJ and even the NJ shoreline. I could see them getting really reduced amounts because of the initial boundary layer winds and then the mid level warming. These type of events almost never work out for them.

The NE surface winds are going to save us big time. I doubt it gets over 30 at any point tomorrow, so we won't be anywhere near rain. Maybe sleet and a glaze of ice at the end. The fear yesterday was the development and advancement of a coastal front that would turn winds to the SE, and torch us fast. Looks almost certainly now like that won't happen and we keep land-based winds. For coastal NJ, NE winds are still from the ocean and still cause a torch. The coastal front might be a problem for many from I-95 east as well. It's probably a quick 1-2" to rain from southern Monmouth on south.

Isn't there a Phily forum. :P

More significant snowfalls usually have the 850mb 0 degree line very close by. Heavy snow is SNJ is not climatologically good for NYC north.

I disagree with this about heavy snow in south Jersey is not good for NYC. An example: PD '03 storm....

yeah, gfs cooled a little at 850. Basically city on north would be all snow, city would be right on that line, south of there, its sir mix a lot.

All of NYC is just fine on the GFS. Even the majority of LI is perfect.

The warming occurs way late in the game.

All of NYC is just fine on the GFS.

The warming occurs way late in the game.

At 15z, the 0c line at 850 is right along the south shore or just offshore. At 18z, it's over LI Sound. Between those two times, 0.1-0.25" falls across NYC and Long Island west to east. At least a chunk of that would likely be sleet or freezing rain.

Most NWS offices will not go with warnings in borderline situations like this.  I agree that Orange county and some other ones in inland NJ likely will see warning amounts but there are few too many questions to be confident enough to go with a warning.

I remember Upton issuing Winter Storm Warnings while forecasting 3-6" for NYC before the January 2002 storm.

At 15z, the 0c line at 850 is right along the south shore or just offshore. At 18z, it's over LI Sound. Between those two times, 0.1-0.25" falls across NYC and Long Island west to east. At least a chunk of that would likely be sleet or freezing rain.

saying .25 is a little optimistic.

.1" line is barely touching NYC. NYC gets .10"-.12" after hour 21.

Archived