12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
January 20-21 2012 Snowstorm OBS & Disco

earthlight

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

through 15z, 850 and surface but below freezing for the area, lift improves but is starting to move east, back edge approaching.

its a colder run for sure, but I think we lost some punch with this run.

absolutely not sure what others are seeing but this run cuts back on qpf

EAST so explain to me how Long Beach changes before Montauk?

Sort of depends on how the cold air is wedging...if a storm is offshore...a consistent easterly flow would likely change Montauk over first...but with the storm approaching from the west and a cold high to the northeast or north north east wedging south south westward, enough cold air at the surface can be drawn in from New England and the Canadian Maritimes to keep it colder over eastern LI..at least for a period of time until the cold air erodes...does not happen very often...but sometimes...

I dont know what others are seeing with the sim refl, but I see several areas of 20-30 dBZ which is more than enough for good snow. QPF always jumps back and forth in models and we are so close to the event i wouldnt buy too much into it. Im happy to see the warm nose not be as strong at 850 for LI as it still looks like snow here at 18z. Maybe sleet with 850 at 0.2C.

Definitely a colder run. Qpf looks to be about .35" to .40".

Very similar run to the euro.

Sort of depends on how the cold air is wedging...if a storm is offshore...a consistent easterly flow would likely change Montauk over first...but with the storm approaching from the west and a cold high to the northeast or north north east wedging south south westward, enough cold air at the surface can be drawn in from New England and the Canadian Maritimes to keep it colder over eastern LI..at least for a period of time until the cold air erodes...does not happen very often...but sometimes...

There are also some *very* rare occasions when a cold high will build in from the North / NE (very rare)...and draw cold air in from Maine and eastern Canada...I believe it happened a few times during the 1993-94 winter when rain changed to snow over the Twin Forks first as cold air was drawn in from the northeast...while it continued to rain over southern Nassau and western Nassau...

I dont know what others are seeing with the sim refl, but I see several areas of 20-30 dBZ which is more than enough for good snow. QPF always jumps back and forth in models and we are so close to the event i wouldnt buy too much into it. Im happy to see the warm nose not be as strong at 850 for LI as it still looks like snow here at 18z. Maybe sleet with 850 at 0.2C.

you could get away with .2 with better vvs but we lose that at the end

it matters not.

I agree with you, plenty of good echos on the sims.

you could get away with .2 with better vvs but we lose that at the end

it matters not.

I agree with you, plenty of good echos on the sims.

NAM was likely overdone anyway with the stronger warm push than any other model, and resulting heavier QPF. 0.3-0.5" of liquid is still a decent, 3-6" kind of storm, like we all were expecting. And fewer people having to deal with sleet or freezing rain issues is a bonus.

The 21z SREFs are 25-50 miles south of the 15z mean with the 850 0c line at 24 hours. I think that about puts a halt to the north trend -- but we will see. The 00z runs will have all the new stuff ingested.

I don't recall a discernable north trend, rather just shifts north and south for several cycles, which is to be expected.

The latest data, along with the radar and satellite, looks good to me for a slightly more southern solution.

Archived