Newest Member
    northernriwx
January 20-21 2012 Snowstorm OBS & Disco

earthlight

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes it did, but it has had some busts too

Yep, which means that it has been right and wrong in the past, so it's solution can't simply be thrown out the window.

As NYCSuburbs mentioned, it had an epic flunk on the 4/1/11 system, when it predicted 5 inches for the area, and we got a trace of snow.

Then there are times when it exactly nails the situation like 1/26/11.

It's sort of like black and white with the HRRR. It's either exactly right, or exactly wrong.

Can't say that the radar to the west is very impressive at all. You can see why the NAM has delayed the precipitation until 08-09z.

yeah, but its gonna come together with the stuff moving up from the south and also with the surface redevelopment which really aids the period from 12z-18z.

Looks like a light snow event to start with some moderate snows later on leading to a nice event. Everyone needs to stop worrying.

yeah, but its gonna come together with the stuff moving up from the south and also with the surface redevelopment which really aids the period from 12z-18z.

Can't say that the radar to the west is very impressive at all. You can see why the NAM has delayed the precipitation until 08-09z.

You sound like the SNE pessimists complaining they won't get the 2.8 inches the Euro promised them lol.

All we should care about are the results on the ground. A swath of 4-6 inches with locally higher amounts is present in the wake of this system. That's good enough evidence for me.

precip shield seems to be improving and building out in western PA in the last few frames of the national loop.Im feeling good, not worried at all.

http://www.intellicast.com/National/Radar/Current.aspx?animate=true

this radar shows virga but i definitely like what im seeing. Moderate-Heavy snow over the OH valley heading east with atlantic moisture in the SE heading north into the system.

Looks like the beggining of their front end thump down in Va per the Mid Atlantic subforum obs thread starting to fire up with reports....Staying at my brother's in North Brunswick since I have work in New Brunswick tommorrow, gonna try and wake up briefly to make some pre-dawn obs. Location is right near Rt 1/ Rt 130 junction.

Looks like the beggining of their front end thump down in Va per the Mid Atlantic subforum obs thread starting to fire up with reports....Staying at my brother's in North Brunswick since I have work in New Brunswick tommorrow, gonna try and wake up briefly to make some pre-dawn obs. Location is right near Rt 1/ Rt 130 junction.

right near my old stomping rounds....i use to work at the corner of adams lane and rte 130. the building across from Margaritas pizzeria.

good luck down there!

good, more snow in day light

it will still come in faster than progged.

Models probably backing off the overrunning that produced snow in IA, WI, IL, MI, and IN today, and keying more on the surface wave currently in TN that will eventually move off the mid-Atlantic coast tomorrow.

Rgem seems to delay precip a little as well. Through 7am tomorrow only about 1mm falls.

Everyone worries about mixing, but I wonder if a persistent dry air pocket will put someone in a localized screw zone? Some of the high res models clown maps have had odd lollipops and accumulation deserts in places where elevation wouldn't account for the discrepancy.

Models probably backing off the overrunning that produced snow in IA, WI, IL, MI, and IN today, and keying more on the surface wave currently in TN that will eventually move off the mid-Atlantic coast tomorrow.

yes, that actually is what brings the heavier totals to the area on the NAM

Thats right! I was saying something similar today to some other Meteorologists on campus. A few days ago, it didnt look like we have enough cold air. Now we do and we have snow hours away. Bring it!

Ah, never buddy. She'll do what she wants...thats the truth to it. Any snow we can get is a blessing in this current hemispheric pattern.

Archived