Newest Member
    mowsee447
Jan 21 event

Ian

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:weight_lift::snowman:

Tonight: A chance of snow between 10pm and 1am, then snow and sleet. Low around 27. Calm wind becoming southeast between 5 and 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow and sleet accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

Saturday: Freezing rain and sleet before 10am, then a chance of freezing rain between 10am and 1pm. High near 38. East wind 7 to 9 mph becoming north. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New ice accumulation of less than a 0.1 of an inch possible. New sleet accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

NAM 06z clown map is out and has cut back some on the snow to the south but has increased the amount to the north. What I found interesting though is the more defined CAD signiture shown on the 00Z as oppossed to the 06. I noticed this as well when comparing the 00Z NAM and the GFS.

Sorry, that's not the 6z map. This is.

Now, if you look at a specific spot, like DC, it is worse, but overall I think its better because it is more snow, heavier snow, and the whole region with heavier snow has shifted south. About a 30-50 mile south shift in this makes this a big deal. But not having the Euro with us more is a little nerve racking.

post-178-0-84815900-1327058615.gif

The NAM has been a little flippy, but not that bad. The GFS and Euro snow maps have been quite consistent with each keeping the "snow line" right alone the PA/MD border (the real snow). You would think that a small shift south either in the next few model runs or with regard to the actual weather tonight and tomorrow is at least within the realm of possibility.

Sorry, that's not the 6z map. This is.

Now, if you look at a specific spot, like DC, it is worse, but overall I think its better because it is more snow, heavier snow, and the whole region with heavier snow has shifted south. About a 30-50 mile south shift in this makes this a big deal. But not having the Euro with us more is a little nerve racking.

It is posted, right under the 00Z clown map for comparison.

Keeping an eye on the dry air in the low-levels at the onset of precip... could/should eat a little of the early QPF through about 06z. Looks like all the possible snow for DC/BWI is between 06z-09z... latest NAM looks to put down around 0.1" QPF over DC and BWI during that time, with just under a tenth from the GFS. Less faith in DC as the warm air intrusion works in before 09z.

Considering putting the 1" line down towards the northern edge of the Baltimore metro and through north-central MD. Frederick will likely stay less than an inch.

The NAM has been a little flippy, but not that bad. The GFS and Euro snow maps have been quite consistent with each keeping the "snow line" right alone the PA/MD border (the real snow). You would think that a small shift south either in the next few model runs or with regard to the actual weather tonight and tomorrow is at least within the realm of possibility.

What I am finding interesting is the fact that the off runs of the NAM do not seem to show the CAD as well. I think that may be why we are seeing that reduction west of the bay to the lee of the mountains down DC and N VA. This is the first time I have ever noticed this and am not sure if it may be just an anomoly or if it has to do with the model itself.

we're at a point where model performance is pretty important

NAM puts radar shield here at 7 AM

http://mag.ncep.noaa...el=&imageSize=M

here's the radar

http://radar.weather.../Conus/full.php

seems a hair south than what NAM proged, but NAM did a decent job

Yeah overall not too bad, what are you thinking in terms of snow for Baltimore? Latest NAM from 06z almost plays your miracle and shifts the heavy stuff south, 25 more miles are were rockin, but the 2-3'' it had I'd take too because 1-2'' seems likely for Baltimore IMHO.

Yeah overall not too bad, what are you thinking in terms of snow for Baltimore? Latest NAM from 06z almost plays your miracle and shifts the heavy stuff south, 25 more miles are were rockin, but the 2-3'' it had I'd take too because 1-2'' seems likely for Baltimore IMHO.

seems like an inch or 2 affair to me

2 or more north of the city and 1 or more imby

I posted last night that the 0Z GFS looked like it wanted to switch back to flurries at the end and the 6Z has it doing just that

Yay!

I don't even have rain in my forecast for tomorrow - I think I may get lucky and stay at or below 32 for the whole event.

Yay!

I don't even have rain in my forecast for tomorrow - I think I may get lucky and stay at or below 32 for the whole event.

good luck with that KT. You are going to have to go 2 miles to the north of you to stay mainly frozen. There is that stupid line just north of you. We never stayed all frozen in Cockeysville when i lived there for those years unless it was a miller A type of storm.

Archived