e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Jan 20th snow event

Thundersnow12

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will say it seems rather strange to have temps in the single digits all day tomorrow, and then have a system track largely north the next day. The Euro owns all this season though, so I won't be against it.

It's the battle of seasonal trends, the NAM's epic failure is aligned with the Euro's clear superiority.

I mentioned it in my call, but it's worth noting that if WAA is robust enough to do what the NAM and to a lesser extent the Euro shows, the higher QPF numbers might not be that far off.

I will say it seems rather strange to have temps in the single digits all day tomorrow, and then have a system track largely north the next day. The Euro owns all this season though, so I won't be against it.

It's weird to likely have a low below zero, then see a decent snow event for those who do get this.

I agree. Especially with another front to go through a day ahead of it. And with a rather meager SLP. Alas, yep...have to ride the Euro to the grave here.

It's weird to likely have a low below zero, then see a decent snow event for those who do get this.

Not weird really.

I agree. Especially with another front to go through a day ahead of it. And with a rather meager SLP. Alas, yep...have to ride the Euro to the grave here.

Not weird really.

Most snow events are between 20 and 32. The expected high on Friday is upper teens. This isn't even a clipper and is likely to be a tad juicier than your typical clipper.

Most snow events are between 20 and 32. The expected high on Friday is upper teens. This isn't even a clipper and is likely to be a tad juicier than your typical clipper.

Your moving the goal posts. You said it was weird having snow after a low below zero. Not this flim flam about what temperatures snow usually falls at. Never mind...moving along.

anyone catch Skilling at lunch?

Yeah I caught his forecast. He was concentrating on talking about the cold first. Then he said several inches likely Friday, so get out your shovel! Nothing very specific on the system.

His RPM temperatures for Friday are colder then other guidance. His RPM model puts northern IL in direct line, alot like the CMC. And the model paints a window of opportunity for lake effect snow on the west side of the lake. Extended forecast has cooled considerably.

Not sure if it means anything but it looks the the timing of the snowfall here in metro detroit will be overnight towards the morning. Assuming it always helps to not have the snow falling during the day to maximize accumulation.

Didn't we have this discussion before? It's mid January. The amount of snow loss due to insolation, especially when temps are going to be as cold as they are, is minimal.

Delta Ts around 19c and a solid 90-110 degree flow for about 18 hours might yield some half-decent LES on the west side of Lk Ontario. Inversion heights and shear will be a problem as always and will prevent things from going nuts, but I'm thinking I could add 1-3" of LES on top of maybe ~2" synoptic here.

Let's hope so! Although I do think that the euro will continue to increase its QPF output for us as it will start to trend more north. Good news is that the torch looks semi-muted next week but probably still will get a couple of warm days.

Archived