Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
January storm threat discussion #2

Ian

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't even think the GFS run was that bad...it wouldnt be snow, but it has the wedge and it would be legit icing....even DCA holds at 32 through 108 hours

I agree that the 00z GFS was not terrible, but it certainly was not as good as earlier runs. The Euro 00z run was a "solid" improvement and nice to see at this point. We also have going for us the fact that JB has this event pegged for 40 north. He hasn't been right about a DC event in quite a while.

MDstorm

no but the 500mb pattern continues to show some promise on the atlantic side....the PV is over greenland at the end of the run but heights are rising to the west and we have a 50-50 low that doesn't seem like it wants to race off

Hm talked about jan 30-31 possibility a few days ago which Gfs now has. Things are not as bleak as they were 3-4 days ago

Hm talked about jan 30-31 possibility a few days ago which Gfs now has. Things are not as bleak as they were 3-4 days ago

they aren't but it still would be nice to get some frozen saturday before we torch next week....a pattern improvement seems possible/likely at some point in the next 2-3 weeks, but that doesn't mean I don't want to get something minor before then....doesn't mean it will happen, but there is no real reason we can't get a T-2" event in this pattern if we have a weak WAA event into a wedge....the air mass looks pretty legit and climo couldnt be more favorable....we don't live in the deep south....of course that doesnt mean we wont get shut out....we need some luck too...

no but the 500mb pattern continues to show some promise on the atlantic side....the PV is over greenland at the end of the run but heights are rising to the west and we have a 50-50 low that doesn't seem like it wants to race off

I don't think it's much of a PV by that point anyway, which might be why the 50/50 low isn't a useless artifact. GFS/Euro + their ensembles all weaken the PV quite a bit in the long range and almost split it.

Well, this is model showdown at its best. One of them, as of this morning, is going to lose big time with the event on Fri/Sat.

Where you guys placing your bets?

Probably on the Euro, when the GFS has it Euro doesn't, then they flip, Euro is usually right. GFS had the right idea, then flipped, so we'll see. That's my call.

Well, this is model showdown at its best. One of them, as of this morning, is going to lose big time with the event on Fri/Sat.

Where you guys placing your bets?

Seeing as it is still noly Tues for something 3 days away, I will hold my chips off the table for another day. Too much variability to say one or the other. The high to the north is the key.

What are we looking at though? Is that total snowfall for a given time frame? How long? Also, is it QPF or total snowfall?

That map was just for the hour of 18z on Saturday, there was some snow that fell prior to that and a little afterwards. But that was the bulk of the precip.

I also wouldn't believe it 100%, its a weenie map all the way. Wunderground's version of a clown map.

I know the saying that "such and such model runs will be huge" but I do think we will have a pretty good idea after today's 12 z run. And, I admit, I won't jump either way until the Euro run comes out.

Edit: And I realize that nobody puts faith in the NAM at long range, but even so, I'd think you couldn't like the way it looks for Friday evening.

I know the saying that "such and such model runs will be huge" but I do think we will have a pretty good idea after today's 12 z run. And, I admit, I won't jump either way until the Euro run comes out.

Edit: And I realize that nobody puts faith in the NAM at long range, but even so, I'd think you couldn't like the way it looks for Friday evening.

So you are assuming the 12z runs today are the final solution AND you are extrapolating the NAM?

:lol:

Pretty sure we don't want Minneapolis getting a half foot of snow like the 12z NAM shows.

Archived