• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Next week's storm, Changes, Snow threats beyond (Part 2)

OKpowdah

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol wow the last few pages were pathetic.

DT is right about some signs of a -NAO in the making. It's been a positive trend on the Euro and GFS for a couple days now. Let's see what comes of it.

Still a ways to go in figuring out the next seven days. Much depends on the evolution of the big trough diving into the conus.

Here come the GFS humpers. Everyday at the same time they all come out , hump and then go away for 6 hours and then come back.. Yawn

People are just concerned about the next two weeks. There are still questions and it could end up being pretty lackluster. At this point, just accept what we can get.

Lol wow the last few pages were pathetic.

DT is right about some signs of a -NAO in the making. It's been a positive trend on the Euro and GFS for a couple days now. Let's see what comes of it.

Still a ways to go in figuring out the next seven days. Much depends on the evolution of the big trough diving into the conus.

You see anything interesting discussing? I don't.

Here come the GFS humpers. Everyday at the same time they all come out , hump and then go away for 6 hours and then come back.. Yawn

I don't mind people using the GFS sometimes, but I do think its pretty bad when people use it only when it shows what they want. If 18z or 00z has nonstop cold and snow until 384h, then you won't hear a peep.

Regardless, I don't think the pattern is changing to nonstop cold and snow anyway...I think we've said most of the time that we are going from a horrific pattern to a "give us a chance" pattern. I do not see us going to an endless warmth pattern like we've been in for the most part since Dec 1.

Posting a hr 276 GFS op isn't going to help your arguement. Whether it happens or not.

If we went back to mid November I think I've got a decent track record. I haven't bought into any of this and have been pretty clear as to why. I don't see this as a historic, monumental, or even a fundamental shift. It's a movement from an existing pattern to another one that is somewhat less warm and probably more stormy. It's an increase in instability that may result in a more favorable pattern eventually or maybe not.

The fact that I suspect we see models pull away from the colder solutions in the later ranges won't surprise me. That's why I posted it. If you went back and looked at the GFS runs on average from mid to late November and again in December, the overall theme of colder shots muting out and then a constant return to something "else" in the later periods has almost always been there. As that later period approaches the footsteps get a litlte louder. If I hear someone talk about a gradient pattern setting up based on the GEFS or EC Ens for the 10th time since 11/15....that's no worse IMO than posting that map as a general point that the model bailed on the cold at least for now...and went back to the cold, warm storm, cold, warm storm this RUN.

Was it intended to be a forecast, no, it was intended to show that 12 hours ago it was a much colder, wintry solution and now it's popping a cutter. It would not surprise me at all to see the end result in that general time period to be a low pressure over or west of us. JMHO, because that's been the general trend this winter.

I don't mind people using the GFS sometimes, but I do think its pretty bad when people use it only when it shows what they want. If 18z or 00z has nonstop cold and snow until 384h, then you won't hear a peep.

Regardless, I don't think the pattern is changing to nonstop cold and snow anyway...I think we've said most of the time that we are going from a horrific pattern to a "give us a chance" pattern. I do not see us going to an endless warmth pattern like we've been in for the most part since Dec 1.

Right we're heading into a pattern which going to be w/o a doubt more wintry than the last 45 days. Whether that means a few snow/ice events , then a rainer followed by cold/dry or whatever..it's a much more favorable pattern. The GFS stuff just makes me laugh it's gotten so absurd with the same 2-3 people using it to base all their posts on. If we can get a couple winter storm events over the next 2-3 weeks..I think we would all sign up for that.

If we went back to mid November I think I've got a decent track record. I haven't bought into any of this and have been pretty clear as to why. I don't see this as a historic, monumental, or even a fundamental shift. It's a movement from an existing pattern to another one that is somewhat less warm and probably more stormy. It's an increase in instability that may result in a more favorable pattern eventually or maybe not.

The fact that I suspect we see models pull away from the colder solutions in the later ranges won't surprise me. That's why I posted it. If you went back and looked at the GFS runs on average from mid to late November and again in December, the overall theme of colder shots muting out and then a constant return to something "else" in the later periods has almost always been there. As that later period approaches the footsteps get a litlte louder.

Was it intended to be a forecast, no, it was intended to show that 12 hours ago it was a much colder, wintry solution and now it's popping a cutter. It would not surprise me at all to see the end result in that general time period to be a low pressure over or west of us. JMHO, because that's been the general trend this winter.

Well I did say it could be a milder storm. I just don't see the need for posting that, especially since it could be gone in about 6hrs.

Anyways, hope you get some OES.

The fact that I suspect we see models pull away from the colder solutions in the later ranges won't surprise me. That's why I posted it. If you went back and looked at the GFS runs on average from mid to late November and again in December, the overall theme of colder shots muting out and then a constant return to something "else" in the later periods has almost always been there. As that later period approaches the footsteps get a litlte louder.

Using a 276h prog vs 300h 24 hours ago is useless though. I will guarantee that in the next 2 or 3 days, that 276h prog will be a cold snowstorm or a frigid artcic shot...when you are talking about an OP run that far out, the variance far outweighs any "trend"

Hopefully most folks can see past the troll posts above. It's a shame that kind of stuff is allowed. That is the kind of stuff that should be deleted, not banter posts

As oppossed to your entirely useless posts repeating the same dribble fifteen times since 6am?

Let's check back in around 1/20 and see what's shaking. Then you can tell me why I was wrong in not buying into an epic winter onslaught but instead a more stormy version of the cold, warm storm, cold pattern we've already been in.

As oppossed to your entirely useless posts repeating the same dribble fifteen times since 6am?

Let's check back in around 1/20 and see what's shaking. Then you can tell me why I was wrong in not buying into an epic winter onslaught but instead a more stormy version of the cold, warm storm, cold pattern we've already been in.

Have you figured out how to accept friend requests on FB yet?

Using a 276h prog vs 300h 24 hours ago is useless though. I will guarantee that in the next 2 or 3 days, that 276h prog will be a cold snowstorm or a frigid artcic shot...when you are talking about an OP run that far out, the variance far outweighs any "trend"

You've missed the point entirely.

It has nothing to do with the ultimate solution, it has to do with it coming back to the rough pattern we are already in which is transient cold bookended by either storms that are surpressed (passing during the cold shots) or inside runners. Without blocking, that's what happens.

Gone from this run is the endless winter, and I think that's going to verify.

Well I did say it could be a milder storm. I just don't see the need for posting that, especially since it could be gone in about 6hrs.

Anyways, hope you get some OES.

Scott just to be clear, not implying we see anything in that period. It to me is much more about the return on this run to the seesaw type pattern we've be in and the note that what we may be seeing as a change is an increasing frequency of storms as s/w are shaken out.

We'll see, it's not worth arguing over. I am betting this is the first volley back towards the "cold has a defined end" on the models sometime plus/minus 1/22.

That's all I'm saying.

I wish there was a met here whose job didn't require them to use the GFS.

I'd like to see a met make a forecast for clients/public sector /whomever..not use anything GFS related over a 2-3 week period. You could use every other piece of available guidance, just not the GFS or GEFS or GFS MOS etc...and see how your forecasts would be as opposed to when you do use it.

That would be an interesting study to do I think.

Archived