• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Next week's storm, Changes, Snow threats beyond (Part 2)

OKpowdah

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we'll have 2-3 chances of something through the 21st or so..starting this weekend. Not to say there could not be a renegade low somewhere in between, but hopefully we can get something out of this pattern.

Funny that there's no sign of a SE ridge on the ensembles. What kind of Nina is this? lol

Not at all dude... it was funny, even the BTV guys yesterday showed me those stats out of Valdez. We were talking about how dry the Sierra and Rockies are and then they were like, "You want to see a real snowy place? Look at this climate report. We've all been drooling over the Valdez reports for two months now."

First thing we're going to have to do is dig out the cabin which is currently buried under 70+" of snow. The second thing we're going to have to do is SKI SKI SKi !!!!

I don't know why DT is so excited about a -NAO. I don't see any signs of that.

I do agree with you that we begin to play with fire toward to end of D15 with the retrograde from Kamchatka into Siberia.

he's covered himself sufficiently with his "what can go wrong" comments at the end that were not put in lights

We are about to enter one of the biggest flips of a wx pattern of our lives..The next 6 weeks are going to be very very wntry..All systems go. All models on board..all indices just where we want them

http://www.facebook....RkpMB_cvOKnnqVg

I've been told that your MA friends are already using this post to mock you.Seriously.

So our delayed but supposedly not denied pattern change still hasn't occurred, and there already seems to be a building consensus that it may go to crap again in a couple weeks. Sweet.

There are an increasing number of pro mets who are lately voicing the opinion that a pattern change (as in a turn to a period of consistent cold and snow chances) may not occur at all this winter. Even the heretofore gun-ho for a major pattern-change LC in his latest newsletter voiced concern that there are nothing but transient cold shots down the road, each one followed by mild temps, and no signs of any upstream blocking for the foreseeable future. This would really be something given how so many have been touting and steadfastly promising a big change for so long and have been forced repeatedly to push it back.

I really hope the ridging doesn't retrograde quite as much as the EC ensembles say it will be D14-15...those are some low heights returning to AK...though as long as the ridginging is somewhat into the Bering Straight, it won't be like the pattern we had...but the lower heights retrograding back toward AK is something to be concerned with.

I really hope the ridging doesn't retrograde quite as much as the EC ensembles say it will be D14-15...those are some low heights returning to AK...though as long as the ridginging is somewhat into the Bering Straight, it won't be like the pattern we had...but the lower heights retrograding back toward AK is something to be concerned with.

Nonsense. Epic 6 weeks coming.

There are an increasing number of pro mets who are lately voicing the opinion that a pattern change (as in a turn to a period of consistent cold and snow chances) may not occur at all this winter. Even the heretofore gun-ho for a major pattern-change LC in his latest newsletter voiced concern that there are nothing but transient cold shots down the road, each one followed by mild temps, and no signs of any upstream blocking for the foreseeable future. This would really be something given how so many have been touting and steadfastly promising a big change for so long and have been forced repeatedly to push it back.

Whatever LC forecasts..assume the exact opposite. He has been calling for snow and cold all winter in the face of an awful pattern..now that everyone and everything is poiting cold and wintry he is calling for warmth. He is an embarrassment to the met community

Unfortunately the GFS and Euro ensembles are in pretty good agreement (surprisingly so, actually) about the ridge retrograde.

Whatever LC forecasts..assume the exact opposite. He has been calling for snow and cold all winter in the face of an awful pattern..now that everyone and everything is poiting cold and wintry he is calling for warmth. He is an embarrassment to the met community

He also called for a cat 2 hurricane in NYC from Floyd. I unsubscribed to his newsletter then.

I think that retrogression will happen. It seems to be on a lot of the guidance.

Yes I agree it will happen,b ut the magnitude of it might make a lot of difference. An omega block forms from the initial ridge...and then slowly retrogrades, but how much could be a big difference. Those can be tough to dislodge once they form, so it will be interesting. I hope the omega block gets quite poleward, because if it does...it can retrograde more and still be a pretty good pattern...if it is at a lower latitude and then retrogrades into Siberia, we probably will return to a much crappier pattern.

Once in a while I feel like we get a weenie run of the Euro inside 72 hours as a bit of a hiccup. I guess this is probably it?

I wouldn't be surprised if the south coast got brushed with a little QPF. It's almost like an inv trough too, with that system moving in from the Great Lakes. Ptype looks like an issue though.

Yes I agree it will happen,b ut the magnitude of it might make a lot of difference. An omega block forms from the initial ridge...and then slowly retrogrades, but how much could be a big difference. Those can be tough to dislodge once they form, so it will be interesting. I hope the omega block gets quite poleward, because if it does...it can retrograde more and still be a pretty good pattern...if it is at a lower latitude and then retrogrades into Siberia, we probably will return to a much crappier pattern.

It's possible the euro could be retro happy, but yeah I agree. Poleward would be nice. Even as shown, it would probably be SWFE city, but it starts cutting it close. I suppose if that trough backs to the sw more...like into the GOA....it could almost pop a +PNA, but I think that would be a risky pattern. I don't want to bank on that....I would rather have the ridge stay near the Pole.

Once in a while I feel like we get a weenie run of the Euro inside 72 hours as a bit of a hiccup. I guess this is probably it?

yeah i'm not saying it's right...just a bit surprising. BL temps would be a bit borderline anyway - though most coming overnight on the heels of a chilly day on monday would probably help.

Unfortunately, can't say I disagree. The word on LC is that he's a heck of a nice person, but his forecasting skills? Ouch.

I think we should just focus on and enjoy the 2nd half of Jan and worry about what happens in Feb then, Maybe we only have a good 2-3 week stretch..and then it's back to warmth..or maybe it's 6 weeks of pure winter. Noone knows, this winter has proven noone can forecast long range...so let's just enjoy the coming couple of weeks,

Archived