• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Blizzard of '96 remembered

TheTrials

For me, the story of the Blizzard of 1996 didn't start on January 7, 1996 but instead started January 1, 1980, the beginning of one of the worst decades for nyc metro snow lovers. I was born in 1979 in Middletown NY and other than the February 1983 Blizzard which I was too young to remember, I, like a lot of others on this board, suffered through the "snowless" 80's. Yeah, there were storms here and there, especially north and west of the NYC where I grew up and long island did ok from time to time, but it always seemed that I heard of the big one coming, and it never did. From Bob Harris promising bombo genesis every other week (he was the metfan of tv mets) to the very early weather channel broadcasts showing their terrible snow graphics which never verified, it was dissapointment after dissapointment. Even to start the 90s, things hadn't changed much, until 1991, where we ended the winter season with a nice little storm. That was followed by the very nice winter of 1992-1993 where we had the December 92 storm and the Blizzard of 93, the uber gradient winter of 93-94, and the the uber stinker of 94-95. So prior to the 95-96 winter, things had picked up, but the big one was still elusive. Even the March 93 storm failed to live up to all its expectations as a quick foot fell and the storm ended from the dry slot from hell almost as soon as it began. Enter the winter of 95-96.

From the start, this one felt different. A quick hitting 4-6 incher at the end of November set the stage for a great December and then a big thaw. The thaw led to brutal cold in the beginning of January and then the whispers started. The first time I heard something big could be coming was from one of the best mets ever born, Craig Allen. My dad was/is a big 880am listener and he would always tune to Craig Allen for the weather. It was the Monday before the storm and Craig was talking about the potential for something big to come over the weekend. It was only a quick mention, but my interest was immediately sparked. Over the next few days, the whispers grew louder and the weather channel started to chirp about the potential storm. Most said the storm looked to be a southern track storm but they weren't sure and it could come north. Soon it was Friday before the storm and at the time Al Gore had just invented the internet so it was 14.4k modems and compuserve meaning most of the weather information came from the local news and of course the weather channel, which was excellent back in the day. (Little did we know the Euro had the storm tracked nailed 5 days out and never waivered. See this great case study and write up on the models long term and short term http://www.nws.noaa....pdfs/bz-mrg.pdf ). Even up to the Friday before the storm it was being touted as a low impact for anyone north of nyc and even for nyc they were on the edge. This was very dissapointing to hear, but it seemed like every time I tuned in to the radio or television the chants grew louder that the storm would come north so instead of being discouraged, I was encouraged. Soon enough, the watches went up and what was forecasted for so many days to mainly be a southern track storm appeared to be much more. However, north of nyc, the forecasts for accumulations were timid compared to what was in store for washington, philly and nyc. Even Saturday night, just 10 or so hours before the first flakes would fly, the total storm accumulations for my hometown were "only" a foot or so. I went to bed, happy it was going to snow, and hoping that the forecasts would continue to improve and that I would get to see the big one.

As I previously mentioned, it was a very cold start to the month. Temps the night before the storm plummeted quickly, and I remember my mom telling me that it seemed too cold to snow, which I immediately laughed off since I knew better. I woke up that morning at 4:30am and it was 5 degrees outside. I flicked on the flood lights and nothing was going on. Back to bed. Woke up at 6am and it had started to flurry. Wow I thought, no way it was snowing already, couldn't be, this was a great sign I thought, we were already ahead of schedule. Well, from there it only got better. Live coverage on the weather channel was in full effect with all their best tv mets stationed over the northeast and reports were coming in fast and furious from philly and dc that this storm meant business. Slowly but surely the reports started to trickle in from the nyc airports of the snow getting heavier with reports of 1-3 inches per hour the norm as of 11am on Sunday. I was a pretty good baseball player at the time and had been training indoors during the winter in Chester NY 20 miles south of my hometown and my dad drove me to training that day and while it was snowing in our town it clearly got heavier as we traveled south. My dad actually said to me that he felt this was really going to be better to the south of us and at the time the forecasts were still conservative north and west of the city. Well, we worked our way back home around 2pm that day and it was ripping. Listening to 880am we heard the reports of thunder and lighting in and around nyc and then we heard how it looked like the whole area was going to see a historic storm, even to the north and west of the city.

From 2pm Sunday through 8am the next morning, it ripped, and when I say ripped, I mean the most perfect snow flakes that you have ever seen. I remember watching the local on the 8s increase our snow totals throughout the day until finally we were up to 2 feet with blowing and drifting. That night I "slept" on the coach near our flood lights and I was in weenie heaven. The wind was intense but not so intense that you couldn't see the falling snow in the flood lights. The only sounds outside were the local fire houses blowing the emergency codes for the town and the occasional plow. By 8am the next morning snow was piled about 20 inches or so high, and it let up a little bit and then picked back up for the final bands that passed through. It was over about 2pm on Monday the 8th after snowing for about 30 hours give or take. 26 inches was my final total.

So it had finally come, the big one we were promissed for so many years, dubbed the second storm of the century and a storm that will forever be etched in my memory banks. That's my personal story, now lets look at a little bit of the science that made it so special.

The first ingredient that set this storm apart from all the other was the cold air in place. A classic 1040mb banana high had settled over the northeast and midwest and it was pure deep arctic air. Here it is 12z Sunday the 7th, courtesy of FAMARTIN'S website

SLP-12Z-07Jan96.gif

The second ingredient was the setup in the atlantic. 95-96 was a winter which featured several periods of west based blocking. The blizzard of 96 was actually at the end of one of these blocks as it retrograded west and began to weaken. The block was extremely important because otherwise this was a lakes cutter waiting to happen. Check out the 500mb map from the 6th and the nice pna spike out west which got the 500mb flow to bite. Once it bit, the block directed it on the path to history.

010621.png

The third element which made this storm special was the fantastic 700mb frontogenesis which provided hours of over running before the coastal low brought in the banding. Here is a map of the 700mb low and moisture advection into the cold air. Absolutely classic and stunning. We haven't seen over running like this in any of the KU's of recent years.

700mb-12Z-07Jan96.gif

The fourth element was of course the actual influence of the coastal low as it passed by and the banding that transpired. Here is the 850mb map as the height of the storm in terms of banding approached. Earthlight himself couldn't draw a more perfect map.

850mb-06Z-08Jan96.gif

For some however, the 700mb low got a little too close and a dry slot came into the area. This cut off snow for some, turned others over to sneet. This was short lived, and the backside brought in a few more bands which dropped another 2-5 inches area wide. Here is one of the bands , 11am Monday morning. According to some ,a lot of this was never added to the final snow tallies.

KDIX-1600Z-08Jan96.gif

Now, for some, this storm wasn't perfect. Even though it was called the blizzard of 96, officially only Trenton reported official blizzard conditions in our area. Also, out on the island and south and east to the jersey shore and other places, the snow switched over to sleet/sneet or stopped for a period of time. Even still, when all was said and done, the totals and the area impacted were truly historic. Sure, we have seen more "intense" storms since that time, and some have reported higher totals (although if Mt. Earthlight was reporting during this storm, I am convinced we would have heard 40 inch totals) but to this day, for me, and I know a few others on this board, no storm has matched the Blizzard of 96. Happy anniversary to all of you, and may see its equal some time soon!

Additional information found at

http://www.njfreeway.../07-Jan-96.html

http://www1.ncdc.noa...60108-11.78.jpg

Cool weather channel video and radar here

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Remember at that time, weather model graphics were starting to be placed on the internet. I don't remember the exact circumstances, but I remember seeing one model chart that hinted at this a week in advance.

see the case study I linked. Euro, which was only run at 00z at the time, absolutely nailed the storm.

I got royally shafted in that event in SE Nassau, I believe only 17 inches total, I got more from the 12/19/09 event than I did the 96 Blizzard, there's a few other events too where I nearly beat it including 12/03.

you would be part of the not perfect crowd mentioned. Sorry bro.

I know that at Day 7 its 168 hour map had a 988mb low off the Delmarva. I think it ultimately lost the storm for 2 or so runs thereafter but it was the only one to see it that far out.

read the case study linked, they go through the entire progresion. Its awesome.

best storm of my lifetime so far. had 6 inches on the ground before the storm and snowpack after was 36+. easily 30+ inches fell here with 4-6 ft drifts. cars were buried were you couldnt even see them in the driveways. took forever to dig out, nothing has come close to the impact this storm had for my area so far. had 24 inches in the millenium storm and it wasnt even close impact wise.

Great, Great Writeup Trials! What a trip down memory lane. I was born in 79 as well, grew up on coastal plain in central NJ.

i have seen nothing like it before or since. It just kept rippin snow hour after hour. it was about a good a storm as you can get in these parts. Thanks for sharing

well done Trials.

96 is the KING of EC snowstorms....granted, some might have gotten more snow with others but it was a classic no matter how you slice it. when it snows for 36 or so hours with temps in the upper teens to lower 20s, its a weenies dream come true. although how great some of the past winter storms have been, if this exact storm happenned again, esp this year, its safe to say there wouldnt be any weenies left to toss for the next decade.

My favorite storm by far. Nothing else compares. I was living in Denville, NJ at the time and I was 20. We already had about a foot of snow on the ground. I was at work on Sat. and the forecast was still to go south of us for the most part. My mom called me at work at 9 PM and said we were supposed to get 2-3' of snow.

I didn't sleep at all on Sat. night. I went to McDonald's around 6 AM Sunday mornig and flurries were starting to fall. By the time I got home from breakfast, you could see snow swirling on the road even though it was still basically flurries.It was so cold. That's the thing I remember. It was so cold. I was a cook at a restaurant and my boss was from Michigan. He was talking **** all weekend saying that nothing was going to happen and that you had to go to Michigan for "real snow."

I went to work around 9 AM and the snow was already sticking. If I had been older, I never would have driven but it was my first "real" snowstorm so I went to work. We opened at 11 AM and closed at 12:30 PM because there was a SOE going into effect at 2 PM I think. I got out of work around 1 PM and there was already over 6 inches. I lived 2 miles away and it took me 2 hours to get home. I'm surprised I made it.

As the day went on, the storm just got stronger and stronger. By 6 PM, I had been up almost 48 hours and I finally fell asleep. Before I went to bed, I looked in my backyard. I had a picnic table and 2 benches right by the back door. The snow was about 1/2 inch shy of the top part of the bench. I remembered that it was identical to the Superstorm in 1993 when the dry slot/sleet hit NJ. When that storm was over, it barely covered the bench. I was so pissed. Anyway, I woke up around 2 AM because we were having a thunderstorm. LOL. My first thundersnow. I looked out the window and I couldn't even see the house next door which was about 30 feet away. I went to the back door and looked out the window. Same thing as the Superstorm. The snow was barely covering the bench. I was soooo pissed. But wait, hold on. No, it's barely covering the TABLE. The 2 benches were buried. Holy Crap! The thunder sounded so weird. It was muffled and sounded far away even though you could tell it was close by.

I went out and shovelled for 2 hours. Half the neighborhood was out even though it was the middle of the night. We were all loving it. Someone brought out hot chocolate and we just hung out in front of my house. You could tell everyone appreciated what nature was throwing at us. The back edge of the storm gave us another 8 inches or so. I don't even know how much we ended up with. I know the maps show my area had 23-26 inches of snow but I think it was closer to 3 feet. So much snow. It was overwhelming to be honest. Everyone I know from the Morris County area agrees it was close to 3 feet if not more. Who knows? It was ****load either way.

Work was closed until Tuesday night. I didn't go back in until Wednesday. My boss just said "Wow." when he saw me. He was in awe. LOL. It was his first East Coast blizzard. I still keep in touch with him. He agrees with me when he says nothing will ever beat that storm.

Winter storm forecasting used to be so much more dramatic, exciting, and fun! I remember in the mid 1990's, the AVN would run to 144 HR and the Eta ran to 60 HR! The output was available only in 6 HR increments and there were only 12z and 00z runs. The mother of all models, the ECMWF, came out once each night (obviously 00z run), but it was not available until 1-2 AM, I believe. People used the NOGAPGS, GEM, and Ukmet also. Overall, there were much greater run to run variations. I remember several instances in which a storm within 3-4 days would completely be lost on a single model run, only to never be seen again. Back then, there were also very significant changes in short term modelling output. For example, the Eta might go from rain and 45 F to 30 and snow, within 30 hours of the event. Much more fun back then!

Winter storm forecasting used to be so much more dramatic, exciting, and fun! I remember in the mid 1990's, the AVN would run to 144 HR and the Eta ran to 60 HR! The output was available only in 6 HR increments and there were only 12z and 00z runs. The mother of all models, the ECMWF, came out once each night (obviously 00z run), but it was not available until 1-2 AM, I believe. People used the NOGAPGS, GEM, and Ukmet also. Overall, there were much greater run to run variations. I remember several instances in which a storm within 3-4 days would completely be lost on a single model run, only to never be seen again. Back then, there were also very significant changes in short term modelling output. For example, the Eta might go from rain and 45 F to 30 and snow, within 30 hours of the event. Much more fun back then!

The AVN had rain for both the 2/8 and 2/11 events in 1994 til about 2 days out. I cannot recall what the ETA had, I believe the ETA was only 2-3 months into use at that point.

Great stories. I really enjoyed reading about this. I wish I could contribute but I have no real memory of anything before 1999, plus I probably would've got shafted anyways (compared to the usual snowy locations) and wrote it off as a regular snowstorm.

Blizzard of 96' to me is the benchmark for ec snowstorms. It not only spread tons of snow over a wide area but it was a slow mover and lasted for 1 1/2 days in some places. That and pd2 was the only time i saw 2 feet of snow. Boxing day was powerful but it didnt have the duration to knock 96' off its throne at all

I have tons of video clips and information on JAN 1996 Blizzard. Including the PHIL AFDs...

I'll post them today or tomorrow.

This is the only storm that had 30+ of snow from VA to Mass as the largest widespread 30+ amounts.

As for my location, I recall the drifts being quite massive and just having a grand time in it. Around 30" of snow had fallen. My dad did not have a snowblower back then.... He told me it was because of the blizzard of 96, he brought a blower.

Is this true? Because if it is, it would explain why my area only got "23-26" inches instead of the 3' that everyone thought fell.

It was undermeasured. Even down near Philly. PHL had as we all know, 30.7", but even I think that was slightly too low. More like 36" had fallen. A few towns near had 32-33". Of course, White House NJ had 35", but that was an error...

Archived