joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Blizzard of '96 remembered

TheTrials

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My favorite moments was after the storm the week before which i think was 4 inches or so, Alan Kasper mentioned "next week there may be an even bigger storm"

I also loved how the weather channel added the dark color purple to their forecast maps indicating over 2 feet .

The local on the 8's forecast kept increasing the snowfall in 6 inch increments and the last forecast for Central NJ was for 2-3 feet possible.

My high school and all the public schools for East Brunswick NJ had off the whole week. Towards the end of the week it was because of the 3-5 foot snow drifts. lol

The official measurement for East Brunswick was 32 inches i believe.

Truly incredible storm

My favorite storm of all time. I was in Wyndham NY skiing day before the storm, cancelled the rest of my ski trip and drove home to cntrl NJ

In my Jeep pickup and bearly made it home by 1 pm their was likely over 1' already. We stopped at my folks house in englishtown for quick breather then slugged the last 5 miles to S freehold where our condo at the time was inaccessible, just could drive in it , 4+4 was useless here. Must have been upwards of 18" by this time as getting there alone took almost an hour. Luckily the main road bact to rt 9 was plowed and were able to get to her parents house. And like the snow freak I am, I dropped her off and trecked back to my folks were I rode out the night. Awesome storm dident sleep for 48 hrs. We totaled between 27 and 33 ".

Guest Pamela

Excellent write up / recollection / analysis T...

Little did I know on Saturday morning, February 12, 1983 that it would be nearly 13 years before the area would see another blizzard / huge snowstorm. Fact was the one in 1983 was the last one I would witness at my old address in Plainview. Picked up roughly 20 inches from both...the '83 one was of shorter duration but slightly greater intensity...ABE saw 5 inches in one hour. But the '96 one was exceptional as well. '78, '83, and '96...the last Three Great Ones of the 20th Century around here...

Little did I know on Saturday morning, February 12, 1983 that it would be nearly 13 years before the area would see another blizzard / huge snowstorm. Fact was the one in 1983 was the last one I would witness at my old address in Plainview. Picked up roughly 20 inches from both...the '83 one was of shorter duration but slightly greater intensity...ABE saw 5 inches in one hour. But the '96 one was exceptional as well. '78, '83, and '96...the last Three Great Ones of the 20th Century around here...

means a lot coming from you William.

in my neck of the woods (and parking lots)....

14"+ events 1970-1995: 2

14"+ events 1996-2011: 9

I was 5, i got stuck in the snow as i was climbing the snow mounds.

Haha, I was 5 and got stuck too. I remember being confused because I couldn't see the mailbox. I eventually found it, but my mother had to come out and 'rescue' me. She probably wasn't thrilled having to go out to get me. Whenever the blizzard comes up in conversation, she talks about how nearly cried when she saw an adult's face for the first time in three days (who also brought her soup). My father was plowing. It must have been tough being trapped in a house with young children.

My analysis showed that the Boxing day blizzard was a lot more intense than the blizzard of 1996. 96 had more snow but the Boxing day blizzard was a true blizzard and the second to fifth most intense blizzard in NYC history. Only the grand daddy of blizzards the 1888 storm was more intense.

The Boxing Day winds were far more intense over a larger area than the blizzard of '96...however, '96 definitely had a much larger area of high snowfall totals as is obviousfrom its NESIS rating blowing Boxing Day out of the water.

The Boxing Day winds were far more intense over a larger area than the blizzard of '96...however, '96 definitely had a much larger area of high snowfall totals as is obviousfrom its NESIS rating blowing Boxing Day out of the water.

and this really sets it apart for me, but each to his own.

and this really sets it apart for me, but each to his own.

I usually take the higher snowfall total...so I'd pick '96 too...but Boxing Day was actually a more impressive storm directly from a dynamic standpoint. Of course that doesn't mean it should be anyone's favorite storm if they view total snowfall as their main driver unless they got more in Boxing Day.

The main thing about '96 when comparing every other KU is the duration.... and the duration is what made 1996 special for sure.

However, I did see a 48 hour snowstorm in New Mexico in December 28-30, 2006. 27" fell in Santa Fe.

The main thing about '96 when comparing every other KU is the duration.... and the duration is what made 1996 special for sure.

However, I did see a 48 hour snowstorm in New Mexico in December 28-30, 2006. 27" fell in Santa Fe.

1978 was about 40 hours. Thats still my #1, but I'm a hair older. I have no complaints about 1996...awesome storm here too.

http://www.northshorewx.com/19960108.asp

1996Blizz1.jpg

the number one snow storm for my life in Southern NJ (I left in Sept '09 after 39 years).

I had Prodigy dial-up at the time and was the first storm I followed start to finish online.

36" in Manahawkin NJ with insane drifts.

AWESOME

Yea, NJ was so under-reported w/ this storm. I mean this was THE STORM. LOL.

Archived