joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Blizzard of '96 remembered

TheTrials

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I myself wasn't here during the Blizzard of 96 (was alive, just didn't live in NJ), my aunts and uncles were and they still remember it like it was yesterday. In fact, out of all the snowstorms that occurred, the Blizzard of 96 is the only one they remember so it's gotta mean something. Schools and work was out up to a week, some 30-34" fell, totals still not 100% clear, it was brutally cold as they described it, some wind, and yes the duration was what made the storm stand out.

In the past 25 years, there are 3 northeast storms that are tops, each one is special, each one provided something different and each one is ranked differently by everyone who experienced it.

Blizzard of 96 remains number 1 for the metro due to its: 1. Incredible snowfall totals (2 feet plus widespread). 2. Very cold temperatures (teens and low 20s) 3. Long Duration (possibly longest of any KU/snowstorm for these parts).

I think PD II is second due to 1. Duration. 2. Very high snowfall totals 3. Duration of overrunning before coastal 4. Wind element fairly strong.

Boxing day is third due to 1. Intense winds/true blizzard conditions 2. High snowfall totals 3. Significant Drifts

PD II and Boxing Day was hard to place but ultimately PD II lasted long and produced more widespread heavy snowfall totals although there's no doubt that Boxing Day was the most fun to experience especially for the eastern half of NJ and the NYC metro area.

PD II is one of the only storms to produce over 18" of snow for the entire state of NJ. Usually someone gets screwed like western NJ did in Boxing Day or the SE coast did in 96 (though still got 6-12" before changing over). But the snow fell from late Sunday night through Monday evening. Close to 24 hours. But never really at an intensity greater than maybe 2" an hour at times. Boxing Day lasted close to 18 hours in many places but the bulk of the heaviest snow fell in a 12 hour period and in some cases it was at rates of 3-4"/hr and totals of over 30". I don't think anyone who experienced with worst from Boxing Day would say PD II came close but obviously area wide it was more significant.

While I myself wasn't here during the Blizzard of 96 (was alive, just didn't live in NJ), my aunts and uncles were and they still remember it like it was yesterday. In fact, out of all the snowstorms that occurred, the Blizzard of 96 is the only one they remember so it's gotta mean something. Schools and work was out up to a week, some 30-34" fell, totals still not 100% clear, it was brutally cold as they described it, some wind, and yes the duration was what made the storm stand out.

In the past 25 years, there are 3 northeast storms that are tops, each one is special, each one provided something different and each one is ranked differently by everyone who experienced it.

Blizzard of 96 remains number 1 for the metro due to its: 1. Incredible snowfall totals (2 feet plus widespread). 2. Very cold temperatures (teens and low 20s) 3. Long Duration (possibly longest of any KU/snowstorm for these parts).

I think PD II is second due to 1. Duration. 2. Very high snowfall totals 3. Duration of overrunning before coastal 4. Wind element fairly strong.

Boxing day is third due to 1. Intense winds/true blizzard conditions 2. High snowfall totals 3. Significant Drifts

PD II and Boxing Day was hard to place but ultimately PD II lasted long and produced more widespread heavy snowfall totals although there's no doubt that Boxing Day was the most fun to experience especially for the eastern half of NJ and the NYC metro area.

Great writeup Trials. 96 will always have a special place in my heart. I was eleveen at the time. I remember a few specific unusual things about the storm.

1) We had two snow days in a row from school, (the only time this has occured in my life) We had two days in a row off after Hurricane Floyd as well but that was obviously not snow related.

2) The storm seemed to switch over to sleet from time to time so the snow actually became layered with ice. My Mom's friend actually broke his plow.

3) We had a drift in the back yard that was at least 5-6' high. We added to the pile and then my Dad, Sister and I dug a large tunnel through the base. We still have the pictures somewhere. It was amazing. In terms of total accumulation it was #1 for my location, with PDII in second and Boxing Day in third.

The only disappointing thing about 96 was the warmup that followed....next storm was a snow to rain for us, then multiple rainstorms in the 50's. Snow was mostly gone in 3 weeks.

you make it sound like winter ended after that, LOL, it kept going till April.

you make it sound like winter ended after that, LOL, it kept going till April.

You are right, it did--the pattern reloaded (unlike recent years where it's collapsed and never come back) The weenie in me figured the Jan snow would be on the ground until May given how much there was!

Also PDII had a pretty good warmup just 2 or 3 days after it. Half the snow was gone in about 4 days and the last couples inches held on until March. 96 was more extreme in that very little melting took place until the 19th when we had 50s rain and fog and most of it was gone overnight. But certainly anyone who said on the 7th that the snow would be completely gone in 2 weeks would have been seen as nuts

You are right, it did--the pattern reloaded (unlike recent years where it's collapsed and never come back) The weenie in me figured the Jan snow would be on the ground until May given how much there was!

Imagine if that rain storm we had, was snow???

Add another 15-30".

in some ways, that's what we got (IMBY) last year--a 15-20 dump 12/26 followed by another one 1/12 and then a 3rd one 1/27...before that, I had always wondered what 95-96 would have looked like if we didnt have the 3-4 week thaw and floods...

I really enjoy reading your thread about this storm. The storm was nothing like what you guys experienced for me in central ct. I got about 17 inches of snow that really never fell at rates of more than an inch and hour and even wtith the old snow on the ground we only had about two feet on the level after the storm ended. There was much heavier snow just to the south and west and north and west of where I lived at the time.

I do remember vividly though how bitter cold it was that morning and during most of the storm. I remember watching the dark greens on the radar just covering the tri state area and even some yellows. It had to be just sick!

Anyways thanks for the great read!

long duration snowstorms compact more before it ends...Feb.78 was over 36 hours with falling snow...Feb. 1983 had maybe 18 hours with falling snow...each storm was great but 78 was followed by a cold month with more snows while 1983 wasn't...So 1978 stands out even though it only had 0.1" more accumulation...Last year's post Christmas day storm was followed by a warm up but the snowcover was saved by frequent January snowstorms...Last year and 1960-61 was similar with most of its snowfall coming before February 5th and little after...Years like 1966-67 had most of it's snowfall after Feb. 5th...

long duration snowstorms compact more before it ends...Feb.78 was over 36 hours with falling snow...Feb. 1983 had maybe 18 hours with falling snow...each storm was great but 78 was followed by a cold month with more snows while 1983 wasn't...So 1978 stands out even though it only had 0.1" more accumulation...Last year's post Christmas day storm was followed by a warm up but the snowcover was saved by frequent January snowstorms...Last year and 1960-61 was similar with most of its snowfall coming before February 5th and little after...Years like 1966-67 had most of it's snowfall after Feb. 5th...

96 was under measured, most of us agree on this.

96 was under measured, most of us agree on this.

the greatest storms should be measured by how much is on the ground when it's over...It seemd like this was the method for some storms in the past...If you check past local climate before the 1990's there was little compacting...PD2 wasn't that great compared to last years Dec. storm where I live..But in Central Park there is less than an inch difference... an example of little cpmpacting after big snows...1960-61 from Gravesend Brooklyn......

http://climate.usurf.usu.edu/products/output.php

.........................................................................................

the greatest storms should be measured by how much is on the ground when it's over...It seemd like this was the method for some storms in the past...If you check past local climate before the 1990's there was little compacting...PD2 wasn't that great compared to last years Dec. storm where I live..But in Central Park there is less than an inch difference... an example of little cpmpacting after big snows...1960-61 from Gravesend Brooklyn......

http://climate.usurf...ucts/output.php

.........................................................................................

I had close to 5' of snow on the ground when it was over. There was already over a foot of snow on the ground before the storm hit.

It was the only time I ever had to shovel the roof. I lived in Morris County until I was 33. (I was 21 at the time).

This storm blows away anything else Morris County or NJ has ever had as far as snowfalls even though the maps say 23-26" inches fell. NYC might be different but for NJ this is #1.

My mom remembered the Christmas Day Blizzard in NYC back in 1947. That storm was always the standard for her. Not even the Blizzard of '78 beat that storm for her. That was always storm #2. We had thunder/lightning for over an hour the night of 1996 and that storm became the new standard for her.

I had close to 5' of snow on the ground when it was over. There was already over a foot of snow on the ground before the storm hit.

It was the only time I ever had to shovel the roof. I lived in Morris County until I was 33. (I was 21 at the time).

This storm blows away anything else Morris County or NJ has ever had as far as snowfalls even though the maps say 23-26" inches fell. NYC might be different but for NJ this is #1.

My mom remembered the Christmas Day Blizzard in NYC back in 1947. That storm was always the standard for her. Not even the Blizzard of '78 beat that storm for her. That was always storm #2. We had thunder/lightning for over an hour the night of 1996 and that storm became the new standard for her.

December 2010 Blizzard, came very close toward 1996.... Ask anyone on here. But like we all said, the duration for 1996 puts it over the top. But 24-30 hours of Boxing Day Blizzard, (it fell in 18-20 hours) at the rates it fell, would have been quite nuts. I think we would have seen up to 42" of snow had it 2010 been as long as JAN 1996.... John (Earthlight) had 31 inches in Boxing Day.

As for 5 feet, that's a little bit high.... The highest recorded snow depth for NJ was 52" in 1961. I don't doubt that the 96 dumped 30 or more inches.

Let's ask Ray on the stats for snow cover prior to the blizzard; was there really 10 or more inches on the ground before it began?

New Jersey's greatest Blizzard is probably 1899.... Dear Lord, 30-40" of snow from Cape May and Upward. 1996 didn't put 30" at Cape May..

Feb '78 was the one for me, even though I easily more snow in the'96 storm. Not sure how the amts from 78 compared to pd2 or boxing day. Memories for me from the 70's...............well lets just say there are some "gaps" & leave it at that!

What I do remember from '78 & actually the storm for me that was more of a "rush", if you will, was the one 2 weeks prior. We ended up with 17 inches where I lived at the time. what made that 1st storm in 78 so intense was that only 1-3" were predicted that night & then a change to heavy rain. Never happened! Woke up the next morning to well over a foot & still snowing. Turned to a little zr at the end, but who cares.

Sandwiched between those 2 KU's was the infamous "Ohio Valley Bomb" that buried the ohio valley but brought flooding rains & temps in the 50's to the east coast.

78 was indeed a wild ride!

Most places had a couple of inches on the ground from the snow/ice event earlier in the week. It's possible N&W had more snow but I don't recall anyone getting a foot between the 12/19 event and 1/7

December 2010 Blizzard, came very close toward 1996.... Ask anyone on here. But like we all said, the duration for 1996 puts it over the top. But 24-30 hours of Boxing Day Blizzard, (it fell in 18-20 hours) at the rates it fell, would have been quite nuts. I think we would have seen up to 42" of snow had it 2010 been as long as JAN 1996.... John (Earthlight) had 31 inches in Boxing Day.

As for 5 feet, that's a little bit high.... The highest recorded snow depth for NJ was 52" in 1961. I don't doubt that the 96 dumped 30 or more inches.

Let's ask Ray on the stats for snow cover prior to the blizzard; was there really 10 or more inches on the ground before it began?

New Jersey's greatest Blizzard is probably 1899.... Dear Lord, 30-40" of snow from Cape May and Upward. 1996 didn't put 30" at Cape May..

yeah, that's official. It's called Mt. Earthlight for a reason ;)

Most places had a couple of inches on the ground from the snow/ice event earlier in the week. It's possible N&W had more snow but I don't recall anyone getting a foot between the 12/19 event and 1/7

I agree.

At Ray's sight, December 19, 1995, did not produce more than 12 inches in NW, even still, it compacted before the blizzard began. So I doubt any location had more than 45" on the ground after the blizzard.

The snow from December was roughly gone by new years after a brief warmup. We did have a snow/ice event around the 2nd/3rd though but EWR officially had 3" on the ground prior the blizzard starting

I agree.

At Ray's sight, December 19, 1995, did not produce more than 12 inches in NW, even still, it compacted before the blizzard began. So I doubt any location had more than 45" on the ground after the blizzard.

The snow from December was roughly gone by new years after a brief warmup. We did have a snow/ice event around the 2nd/3rd though but EWR officially had 3" on the ground prior the blizzard starting

We had 11.3" from the 12/95 storm and 1.5" on 1/2-3. My records from then only indicate that we had at least 1" of snowcover from 12/14/95 - 1/23/96 (we also had 2" on 12/14 and 1.5" on 12/16). I did not note how much was on the ground on any given day, but if memory serves we had 3 or 4" remaining before the blizzard. The 1/7-8/96 blizzard dropped 22" IMBY, with a bonus round of 0.3" on the 9th. Peak snowdepth was probably around 24 - 25".

The deepest snowcover I have had here since '95 was 26" at the end of this past January (2011).

We had about 23" on the ground after PDII (18.8" fell during that storm).

Archived