• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
January 12-14 Potential storm

dilly84

Hey Hoosier, whats the DGZ looking like on the NAM? I see it swings an area of -20c air through at 850. Gonna be a dry, powdery snow. Havent seen that all winter. Hopefully the winds really crank for awhile.

Pretty good but there's very little precip when it's most favorable.

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One other thing to think about here that could be a negative is wind tends to rip dendrites up pretty good.  Saw that happen a couple time the past two Winters... but if we get squally snows that rain down heavily the accumulations will be good.

That seems like the only thing that could prevent ratios from getting out of hand.

One other thing to think about here that could be a negative is wind tends to rip dendrites up pretty good. Saw that happen a couple time the past two Winters... but if we get squally snows that rain down heavily the accumulations will be good.

I don't really count that as a negative as the winds add to the ferocity of a snowstorm, so it's a give and take scenario I am willing to work with.

This is going to be an interesting system to watch evolve. With non-linear processes- strengthening/phasing occuring close to overhead, tremendous dynamics will be fun to see what they do.

I completely agree with what DVN said in that AFD. I get the feeling this is a system that will do a surprise clobber on some people around here (IL/WI/Northeast IA). If we could get a bit more moisture into this thing the dynamics at play will really produce some impressive snowfall.

Thanks Justin, I was hoping that we would hear about the northern vort digging a little further southwest (18z gfs continues along those lines) and i appreciate the quick word about non-linear processes.

That seems like the only thing that could prevent ratios from getting out of hand.

DVN did mention the best lift isn't co-located within the DGZ but did mention that that could change. I'm counting on 12-15:1 for my call.

FWIW the 18z GFS really keeps the light snow going for a long time on the backside, very similar to the NAM, signal for a long duration event building.

Thanks Justin, I was hoping that we would hear about the northern vort digging a little further southwest (18z gfs continues along those lines) and i appreciate the quick word about non-linear processes.

DVN did mention the best lift isn't co-located within the DGZ but did mention that that could change.  I'm counting on 12-15:1 for my call.

FWIW the 18z GFS really keeps the light snow going for a long time on the backside, very similar to the NAM, signal for a long duration event building.

It looked pretty good here on previous runs. Not sure about 18z. Maybe it's different depending on location.

DVN did mention the best lift isn't co-located within the DGZ but did mention that that could change. I'm counting on 12-15:1 for my call.

Yeah Alek I think the chances are good the models may be playing catch-up a while longer with that Northern Vort, thus digging more to the W-SW on it is still very, very possible. This should help pull the Southern stream system NNE then the phasing begins overhead, in our area. This is a complex system with lots of little things all going on in the big picture. With the models small changes in input will greatly affect the output/final result. These are tough to call when a system is trying to bomb out- especially if it bombs a bit more than projected. I'm amped for this one to see what it does- maybe because its the first real dynamic system get my area.

Yeah Alek I think the chances are good the models may be playing catch-up a while longer with that Northern Vort, thus digging more to the W-SW on it is still very, very possible. This should help pull the Southern stream system NNE then the phasing begins overhead, in our area. This is a complex system with lots of little things all going on in the big picture. With the models small changes in input will greatly affect the output/final result. These are tough to call when a system is trying to bomb out- especially if it bombs a bit more than projected. I'm amped for this one to see what it does- maybe because its the first real dynamic system get my area.

well put...the lack of a real gulf connection is keeping my hopes for something totally major in check but an interesting dynamic system delivering a long duration event would be great. Hopefully the positive baby steps with the northern vort continue and we see something really special but at this point beggars can't be choosers.

IWX must initially be expecting a more westerly component to the winds with this system with the winter storm watch issued for the Michigan area. Yet in the last LES event the extreme northern IN counties were eventually added to the warning if I recall correctly and I got a nice 7 inches of snow out of it IMBY which is now barren once again. Interesting upcoming system.

Local met Vince Condella (a bit of a warminista to begin with) is predicting 2-3" on the 5:00 news, with 3-5" well northwest. On the Sky Vision radar, the model he uses dry slots us for a good 12 hours it looked like Thursday afternoon or evening. The only model that really looked like that was the 12z GEM.

winter or regular HPC site?

d2/3 winter

SHARP SHORTWAVE AND DEEPENING LONGWAVE UPPER-LEVEL TROUGH MOVING

IN BEHIND THE SHORTWAVE WILL GENERATE/SPIN UP A RATHER LARGE AND

COLD H3-H5 TROUGH WITH EMBEDDED CYCLONIC FLOW THAT STALLS OVER THE

MIDWEST AND GREAT LAKES. THE SHORTWAVE...UPPER TROUGH/CIRCULATION

ATTEMPTS TO PHASE/INCORPORATE SOUTHERN STREAM MOISTURE AND ENERGY

CURRENTLY MOVING ACROSS THE SOUTHEAST. VERY DYNAMIC SITUATION WITH

DEEPENING CYCLOGENESIS AS DEEP COLD ADVECTION FROM THE NORTHWEST

BECOMES ENTRAINED INTO THE SOUTHERN STREAM SYSTEM. LOW TRACK

GRAPHIC ATTEMPTED TO DEPICT THIS TRACK...TAKING TREMENDOUS WRAP

AROUND COLD-SECTOR PRECIPITATION...COMBINED WITH LAKE EFFECT