• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Heart of Winter

Allenson

We've gotten about 3" so far today. We had a great squall come through around 3 while I was out running. We picked up 1.75 inches in less than 45 min. The winds were really strong at that point too- it made for a rough first half of the run.- Uphill into 30 mph gusts, snow at 1/8 mile vis or less. Then again I used to walk to school barefoot in the summer through that sort of thing.

Oh our snowpack was mostly gone prior to today. Half coverage in the backyard and much of it was quite icy.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can def. confirm PF's reading on mansfield of 4. I skied all over that place and there was a solid 4 inches above 3000 ft. Would have been 8 if 1/2 of it wasn't styrofoam balls.

Barnes Camp base area snow board and snow stake readings from this morning... I love walking through snowy woods via headlamp at 5am to check snow stakes...

Snow was bridged between 2-3" on the measuring pole, and dropping a ruler onto the board revealed an average of 2.5" since 1:30pm yesterday.

With 2" falling from 11:30-1:30 yesterday, and another 2.5" overnight, that brings us to 4.5" at 1,500ft in the last 24 hours. Snow depth is up to a whopping 8-9" after yesterday morning's low of 5" before the snow started back up.

I didn't clear the board so I can get some pics of it when the sun comes up. I figure the only way to validate all this is that if anyone has doubts, I just record it in images and put those pics in a folder of snow board readings. I send them to the NWS along with my snowfall reports so there's really no question about the validity.

Given 4" at 4pm yesterday at the 3,000ft board, I'd have to imagine at least another 2" fell up there last night based on what happened in the base, so called my new snow this morning 4-6" as I think that's an accurate 24 hour base-summit range.

looks like the pond hockey should be good this week

I was thinking the same thing. I might have to get the skates out sometime this week for the first run of the season.

I still want to try out those nordic skates. There's actually a shop nearby to hear where they let folks try/demo before buying.

http://www.nordicskater.com/

Colder this morning--currently 11F and it looks we had a dusting overnight on top of the 1.5" from yesterday. The squall here yesterday afternoon was terrific to watch. Total white-out and heavy-heavy snow.

f-nordicskate1.jpg

Event totals: 1.7” Snow/0.07” L.E.

Since 6:00 P.M. yesterday evening when the snowboard was last cleared, 0.8” of snow accumulated through various rounds of light snowfall.

Some details from the 6:00 A.M. observations are below:

New Snow: 0.8 inches

New Liquid: 0.04 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 20.0

Snow Density: 5.0% H2O

Temperature: 13.3 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-2 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 4.5 inches

Given 4" at 4pm yesterday at the 3,000ft board, I'd have to imagine at least another 2" fell up there last night based on what happened in the base, so called my new snow this morning 4-6" as I think that's an accurate 24 hour base-summit range.

Here’s the north to south list of 24-hour snow totals I’ve seen reported by the Vermont Ski Resorts that have updated this morning; these numbers should represent the current event totals:

Jay Peak: 8”

Burke: 2”

Smuggler’s Notch: 4”

Stowe: 6”

Bolton Valley: 2”

Sugarbush: 2”

Pico: 2”

Killington: 2”

Magic Mountain: 0”

Mount Snow: 0”

We got 2.4" during the day yesterday and another 0.3" overnight. Skied Stowe yesterday, went up early to try the new race skis out and the conditions were 'a bit firm' Looked like the groomers ran out of time. I was planning to leave at noon but it just kept snowing (pingers) and the skiing kept getting better and better :)

About 1/2" - 3/4" at my house in Barre. Went up to S.Burlington yesterday afternoon and could see the snow that PF was talking about hitting the Mansfield area. On the way back around 4:00 mos of the action was south of I-89. You get such a good view of the spine of the Green Mtns. on the interstate. It realy makes for an interesting drive to see where it's snowing and where it isn't during these types of events. By the way J.Spin, every time I drive through the Waterbury area, I look for a snow board in the back yards next to the interstate (as well as check out the VAST bridge).

We got another 2.5 inches overnight (well from 630 ish on) to give me a total of 5.5 inches for the event. Not bad and certainly seems higher than what others are reporting.

Nice! You gotta love how meso-scale all this snowfall is in Vermont. Its nice to have someone reporting more than either me, jvt, or J.Spin, haha. Congrats. You just really never know.

It is snowing very hard here right now... its like dust but vis is well under a mile, probably under a half mile. Can just barely make out the Mansfield lodge across the parking lot.

Nothing on radar. This must all be very low level stuff.

As I am in the eastern VTradar dead zone, I sometimes find this IR sat image as helpful for when energy may be coming through. It is only a rough guide but it sometimes pans out. Are you under the bright white cloud by any chance? It shows up better with watching multiple images.

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/satellite/animateweb_e.html?imagetype=satellite&imagename=goes_ecan_1070_m_..................jpg&nbimages=1&clf=1

post-1533-0-34978100-1325600716.jpg

Barnes Camp base area snow board and snow stake readings from this morning... I love walking through snowy woods via headlamp at 5am to check snow stakes...

Snow was bridged between 2-3" on the measuring pole, and dropping a ruler onto the board revealed an average of 2.5" since 1:30pm yesterday.

With 2" falling from 11:30-1:30 yesterday, and another 2.5" overnight, that brings us to 4.5" at 1,500ft in the last 24 hours. Snow depth is up to a whopping 8-9" after yesterday morning's low of 5" before the snow started back up.

I didn't clear the board so I can get some pics of it when the sun comes up. I figure the only way to validate all this is that if anyone has doubts, I just record it in images and put those pics in a folder of snow board readings. I send them to the NWS along with my snowfall reports so there's really no question about the validity.

That 4-5 skied VERY well:

http://www.famousinternetskiers.com/red-peaks-at-morning-schussers-start-touring/

IMG_2491-3.jpg

and

IMG_2554-2.jpg

and

IMG_2477.jpg

We got another 2.5 inches overnight (well from 630 ish on) to give me a total of 5.5 inches for the event. Not bad and certainly seems higher than what others are reporting.

Nice, dude. We've gotten a sneaky 5" or so of fluff with an arctic front before where no one else came in at nearly the much. Always a nice little surprise. And, I'm well aware of the eastern VT radar hole--it's after echos disappear from the BTV radar and before the pop on on GYX.

It has been snowing steadily all day long but with only about a half inch more accumulation to show for it. The flakes are about as small as they can physically be and still be visible to the naked eye. Our vis has been a mile or less all day... pretty crazy as its like dust thats falling out of the sky. It must just be *that* cold (-5F summit, +5F at 1,500ft) that upslope flow is squeezing out every little single water droplet.

On the composite we are at the end of that streamer that's been flowing into the mountain all morning long (where RT 108/Mountain Road on the map comes closest to the Lamoille/Chittenden county line).

As I am in the eastern VTradar dead zone, I sometimes find this IR sat image as helpful for when energy may be coming through. It is only a rough guide but it sometimes pans out. Are you under the bright white cloud by any chance? It shows up better with watching multiple images.

http://www.weatherof...bimages=1&clf=1

Cool... yeah we are likely the far NW corner of that larger, bright white band as I'm assuming that band is where the Spine is.

Archived