joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Early Jan cold and/or snow threat

Cheeznado

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the 18z shows the potential that the pattern holds depending on how each piece of energy is left separated or phased. The way those troughs drop into the East, it doesn't take much imagination to picture a storm riding out of the GOM on one of those frontal boundaries.

I like the fact the models are slowly showing some high latitude blocking , sometimes over the NP, sometimes Scandinavia, sometimes Alaska , sometimes eastern Greenland, and even once was eastern Canada. Needless to say, the pattern this Fall and early Winter so far is one that is conducive to quick and strong longitudinal flow/deep trof/cutoffs. Seems every so often one forms somewhere in the Southern half of the country, lately it was the Southwest but the Southeast or lower Miss. Valley or Texas is no stranger. I have no idea why, but that looks to continue, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the extreme solution of ECMWF be close to accurate.

Be looking for signs that the longwave troughs can split somewhere in the Plains or Rockies, as thats been the hallmark. In this case, this run splits one s/w around the Lakes, and the main one drops toward eastern Texas or La region then its allowed to fall behind the northern stream, which might create a cutoff. Then a couple days later a new s/w phases in and helps pull it into the Northeast and eastern Canada, walloping a huge area.

Around southern Alaska, a deep surface low helps pump the western ridge initially, which causes the sudden cascade. I recall the November event doing about the same thing, but in that case the GFS and CMC was onto first, then eCMWF joined, then others lost it only to find it again, with a 5 contour cutoff over MEM area. Fascinating pattern if your'e a weather lover, despite the warmth lately. One major amplification like ECMWF and we can indeed score a major Winter storm pretty quickly, but that might actually be further west, or more northeast for the Midatlantic (or even just a cold frontal passage). BTW here's the 384 hour GFS from Dec 22nd...it could be the usual antics of GFS at that time frame and the old adage 'even a broke clock is right twice a day'.

post-38-0-97884600-1325030963.gif

lol snow on the 18z in the LR has 12 inches for most of WNC....now that is a fantasy storm!

We're due for a 12" incher. We've been nickeled and dimed a lot last few years, some good ones but no really big ones lately. All it takes is one really well placed deep, slow moving storm to do it. Shift the Euro a few miles southwest, and we'd be hit hard.

I like the fact the models are slowly showing some high latitude blocking , sometimes over the NP, sometimes Scandinavia, sometimes Alaska , sometimes eastern Greenland, and even once was eastern Canada. Needless to say, the pattern this Fall and early Winter so far is one that is conducive to quick and strong longitudinal flow/deep trof/cutoffs. Seems every so often one forms somewhere in the Southern half of the country, lately it was the Southwest but the Southeast or lower Miss. Valley or Texas is no stranger. I have no idea why, but that looks to continue, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the extreme solution of ECMWF be close to accurate.

Be looking for signs that the longwave troughs can split somewhere in the Plains or Rockies, as thats been the hallmark. In this case, this run splits one s/w around the Lakes, and the main one drops toward eastern Texas or La region then its allowed to fall behind the northern stream, which might create a cutoff. Then a couple days later a new s/w phases in and helps pull it into the Northeast and eastern Canada, walloping a huge area.

Around southern Alaska, a deep surface low helps pump the western ridge initially, which causes the sudden cascade. I recall the November event doing about the same thing, but in that case the GFS and CMC was onto first, then eCMWF joined, then others lost it only to find it again, with a 5 contour cutoff over MEM area. Fascinating pattern if your'e a weather lover, despite the warmth lately. One major amplification like ECMWF and we can indeed score a major Winter storm pretty quickly, but that might actually be further west, or more northeast for the Midatlantic (or even just a cold frontal passage). BTW here's the 384 hour GFS from Dec 22nd...it could be the usual antics of GFS at that time frame and the old adage 'even a broke clock is right twice a day'.

post-38-0-97884600-1325030963.gif

I made note of that when it came out...the gfs did this last year it caught on early and then lost a couple storms till the 5 day range.

av-644.jpg Posted by oconeexman on 22 December 2011 - 11:36 PM in Southeastern States

Jan 4-5th looks like a credible threat for winter wx in our area. At least we now have a fantasy land storm to start watching!

We're due for a 12" incher. We've been nickeled and dimed a lot last few years, some good ones but no really big ones lately. All it takes is one really well placed deep, slow moving storm to do it. Shift the Euro a few miles southwest, and we'd be hit hard.

Yea it's been awhile. I really want to stay up late tonight and catch the 00z GFS and Euro but I need sleep for work since I've been out since last week.

If you're due for a 12" incher then Atlanta is definitely due for a 6" incher. It's been nearly 30 years since Atlanta has had a 6 inch snowstorm !

If you're due for a 12" incher then Atlanta is definitely due for a 6" incher. It's been nearly 30 years since Atlanta has had a 6 inch snowstorm !

It's too bad the airport is on the the southside of town, if it was on the northside like where I live the snowfall totals they record would be quite a few inches higher. The southside is always getting screwed over especially in those rain to snow setups where the rain/snow line has to push from north to south since I-20 tends to setup like a battle zone.

I made note of that when it came out...the gfs did this last year it caught on early and then lost a couple storms till the 5 day range.

av-644.jpg Posted by oconeexman on 22 December 2011 - 11:36 PM in Southeastern States

Jan 4-5th looks like a credible threat for winter wx in our area. At least we now have a fantasy land storm to start watching!

Yeah, I remember you posting that. It's my feelings as well that we'll see GFS bring it back into focus around 120 hrs, but just not as amplified or as deep as the 12z ECMWF. The track is what the models I think will be waffling with the most once we get into the 3-5 day range.

Knoxville hasn't had a 12" since 1993 and the strange thing is before then it had plenty.

Lived in Knoxville during the "Storm of the Century." Most incredible weather event I've ever lived through - period. I have been in tornadoes, flooding, drought, dust storms, etc. It was awesome and I was at UT - perfect age to be able to enjoy that kind of event. Got on a plane two weeks later and headed to Costa Rica. It was like 40 when I got on the plane and when I got off in CR it was 95. Lost 5 lbs before I could get in the taxi. Anyway, I grew up in Knoxville during the 70s - spoiled me. I didn't know that I was living through some of the great winters of the past fifty years. I thought it was normal. But yes, Knoxville is in a humongous snow drought minus last year. Hopefully it's just a cycle. Seems to me that KTRI has Knoxville's climate from two decades ago. I think it has the most to do w/ the fact that their have been fewer storms leaving the GOM and hitting the slot for us. Knoxville really depends on storms developing on the Louisiana panhandle and riding through the Piedmont w/ a high in place to our north. What is surprising to me is that the TN Valley has not had an ice storm in quite some time. The valley traps cold air so often - just kind of hard to believe that hasn't happened since the early 80s. TIFWIW, I do believe we are entering the SLP/GOM cycle again.

Archived