joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Early Jan cold and/or snow threat

Cheeznado

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If there is one thing we can certainly agree on, it's that this is only another solution to be laid out onto the table. This may be the period where the storm shows up, is lost for a day or two, and then brought back (in this case the Euro). Obviously it's something that one simply cannot bet on, especially when you consider the fact that this can easily remain as a cold and dry scenario, but I'd like to see if this continues during future runs or if it comes back. I suppose it is also good news that the GFS was not as zonal compared to the previous runs and had it not developed the trough and our storm so far east, I would imagine a solution similar to the Euro but perhaps not as extreme or maybe something like the CMC. It may further cave in to the either of the other models previously mentioned or continue to advertise its own solution but this is still interesting to watch nonetheless. Snow or no snow, at least it is looking cold to start out the month and would be happy with that alone. I'd give it 2-3 more days before considering what ends up occurring at the end (it the threat has not been eliminated altogether by then).

Central NC rarely gets a good snow from the north. Has to come in from the south.

Generally speaking, I would agree...but there have been exceptions. All of the following snows featured a western U.S. / western Canadian ridge with a strong wave / closed upper low diving into the Tenn Valley / Carolinas from the NW.

Snow totals are for CLT (inches):

1/16/65 - 10.2

2/6/84 - 5.9

2/23/89 - 3.5

1/23/03 - 8.5

Another one: 1/20/09 - 5 to 7 inches east and south sides of Raleigh

Archived