• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December 2011 General Discussion/Obs Part 3

Chicago Storm

Quite a large area of lake effect snow coming off Lake Huron. We're having a band in coming through in Waterloo right now.

Oh, Environment Canada just canceled all the lake effect snow warnings for southwestern ON..

We were in a snowsquall warning earlier in the day. The northern part of the city probably picked up close to 6". Here in the SW part, we're more like half that at most. Still, it finally looks like winter outside. Shovelled the driveway for the first time.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We were in a snowsquall warning earlier in the day. The northern part of the city probably picked up close to 6". Here in the SW part, we're more like half that at most. Still, it finally looks like winter outside. Shovelled the driveway for the first time.

When did the snow stop? EC canceled the warning four hours after they issued it this morning...and there is still LES bands near London.

When did the snow stop? EC canceled the warning four hours after they issued it this morning...and there is still LES bands near London.

The snow finally stopped about 4:30 this afternoon - and they issued the warning at 8:12 am. The snow never really seemed to come down really hard, at least by LES standards, so I don't really have a problem with them cancelling the warning. If you can't deal with snow around here, you're living in the wrong area.

The snow finally stopped about 4:30 this afternoon - and they issued the warning at 8:12 am. The snow never really seemed to come down really hard, at least by LES standards, so I don't really have a problem with them cancelling the warning. If you can't deal with snow around here, you're living in the wrong area.

Haha, when my friend, who is attending university in London, heard there was snow on the way...she posted how it better not be a years worth in three days :snowing: . You all have a sweet setup down there.

In the January thread there was discussion about northern Michigan LES differences between areas...and one of my most memorable weather events I have witnessed, which I know I constantly bring up, was a train ride from Kitchener to Sarnia last December. We left the station in KW with a relatively low snowpack, probably 20cm, and approaching London suddenly the snowpack sloped up to the eaves on houses near the city, and with the tops fence posts sticking out of the snowpack in the city, then watching the snowpack descend back to normal levels east of the city. Even the roofs of houses must have had 3-4 feet of snow on them in the city. Looked like marshmallows or something.

Amazing to witness. Just wish I was there for the magic while it happened.

Had 0.1" of snow this morning, then some snow melted as fell, then some rain, total precip 0.05". The light coating of snow we had the last few days has all melted now as its 38 degrees. DTW needs 0.33" of precip tomorrow to finish the wettest year on record. Looks unlikely but you never know. My next period of interest is the lake effect snow Sun-Mon...looks like it could be interesting even here (and very good in the belts).

This was actually the 8th measurable snow since Nov 30th, totalling 5.4" imby (6.3" at DTW). All the snows were nuisance, but its still something in this pattern. That said, cant WAIT to close the books on this December!

Had 0.1" of snow this morning, then some snow melted as fell, then some rain, total precip 0.05". The light coating of snow we had the last few days has all melted now as its 38 degrees. DTW needs 0.33" of precip tomorrow to finish the wettest year on record. Looks unlikely but you never know. My next period of interest is the lake effect snow Sun-Mon...looks like it could be interesting even here (and very good in the belts).

This was actually the 8th measurable snow since Nov 30th, totalling 5.4" imby (6.3" at DTW). All the snows were nuisance, but its still something in this pattern. That said, cant WAIT to close the books on this December!

The eastern half of the GL should watch this. There will be a lot of moisture with lake enhanced help. This type of scenario will often coat the non belts and keep the ground white as different impulses and troughs rotate through.

The eastern half of the GL should watch this. There will be a lot of moisture with lake enhanced help. This type of scenario will often coat the non belts and keep the ground white as different impulses and troughs rotate through.

Weve been so spoiled recently, that you dont have to go that far back to see a season off to a worse start here...thats 2006-07 (incidentally, thats right before our 4-year snow bonanza hit). The lake guns started churning like mad in mid-January, and they saved our winter. The only synoptic snow of any meaning that winter was Feb 13/14. I never knew how many different ways LES could bless areas this far outside of the belts. I mean, it was nothing crazy, but 1, 2, 3 inches at a time.....as a teen I never remembered any more than a dusting of pure les in this area. Of course, we havent seen a lake setup like that SINCE 2007, but we certainly havent been in need of it...til now :)

Managed 1.3" of snow with the clipper today, giving us about 4" on the ground now. At least it's something up here where we really need it. Looking quite interesting heading into the first few days of the new year. Latest NAM gives the Gaylord area 0.7" of liquid over a roughly 36 hour period before it truncates at 84 hrs...about as strong of a very heavy lake effect signal I've seen in many years, and likely well underdone. Better times appear ahead!

Managed 1.3" of snow with the clipper today, giving us about 4" on the ground now. At least it's something up here where we really need it. Looking quite interesting heading into the first few days of the new year. Latest NAM gives the Gaylord area 0.7" of liquid over a roughly 36 hour period before it truncates at 84 hrs...about as strong of a very heavy lake effect signal I've seen in many years, and likely well underdone. Better times appear ahead!

Congrats! :clap:

Archived