Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December 2011 General Discussion/Obs Part 3

Chicago Storm

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went from thick clouds to clear blue skies in the last 25 minutes...

Nice, thick low hanging clouds here with winds ripping from the NW. Satellite indicates it'll clear here soon, which will make my day. Might as well have sun if nothing interesting is gonna happen with the wx.

It's 12/27 and one would be hard pressed to find a melted snow pile, and there's no ice on Lake Mendota as far as I can tell. It didn't even go below freezing last night apparently.

Nothing solid as far as snow goes in the forecast. We haven't even had a 3" threat on the GFS within 72 hours this year.

I will sum up this month by saying this: I have seen as much snow falling on the 4th of July in SE Germany as I have seen this entire month. I visited Eagle's Nest, Hitler's hideaway, while in Germany in the summer of 2007, and when we went it was snowing as we neared the top of the mountain. Regardless of the mountainous terrain in that case, it is sad that I can make that statement.

Can't be sunny skies and 30F's for late December. The trails we hiked yesterday were all muddy...frost probably coming back out of the ground.

Winds are gusting to 30... Temp holding up around 35F.

Just a weird month. Was basically an extended November.

Ripped out my Christmas tree today. Figured I might as well get it out while its still nice outside. I'll tear down the Christmas lights down later.

Since 1901 there have been 48 winters/snow seasons, through the end of December, that have had less snow here in LAF than this edition (5.7" through today). For December, there are 30 that saw less snow than this one. That's remarkable for this season, considering the amount of suck that has persisted since November...and LAF is generally a poor snow location. Granted big picture blows for most of the region, but a sort of interesting IMBY stat.

Since 1901 there have been 48 winters/snow seasons, through the end of December, that have had less snow here in LAF than this edition (5.7" through today). For December, there are 30 that saw less snow than this one. That's remarkable for this season, considering the amount of suck that has persisted since November. Granted big picture blows for most of the region, but a sort of interesting IMBY stat.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find back to back Nov/Dec of +5 that had this much snow. Not easy to make do with those anomalies in our semi-tropical climate lol

I think you'd be hard pressed to find back to back Nov/Dec of +5 that had this much snow. Not easy to make do with those anomalies in our semi-tropical climate lol

Yep. Just shows how kooky weather can be. We've been very very lucky. Now watch, when it turns cold, we'll miss out on every storm. :lol:

Down to 24 °F even though winds are still breezy, dewpoint is dropping steadily and down to 14 °F. Winds are expected to die down, but clouds will move in, so temps will stay above the coldest possible from radiational cooling. Should get into the teens no doubt.

Nights like this the cold seeps through the windows and walls, so you gotta turn the heat up. Looks like the coldest night for awhile, even though we're probably gonna stay above normal tonight! Normal lows are in the lower teens, which we've barely seen this year.

Down to 24 °F even though winds are still breezy, dewpoint is dropping steadily and down to 14 °F. Winds are expected to die down, but clouds will move in, so temps will stay above the coldest possible from radiational cooling. Should get into the teens no doubt.

Nights like this the cold seeps through the windows and walls, so you gotta turn the heat up. Looks like the coldest night for awhile, even though we're probably gonna stay above normal tonight! Normal lows are in the lower teens, which we've barely seen this year.

Haha 24 sounds balmy. Sitting at 9 up this way.

Archived