northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
December pattern change continued

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

-12C 850 temps over 8-9C water. Delta Ts of 20-21C are dam good.

both the nam and gfs soundings have the inversion way up near 700 mb...that's impressive for an OES event. usually it's like just above 850. and there's actually some lift modeled into the DGZ...again not something that shows up all too often on a OES situation.

both the nam and gfs soundings have the inversion way up near 700 mb...that's impressive for an OES event. usually it's like just above 850. and there's actually some lift modeled into the DGZ...again not something that shows up all too often on a OES situation.

Yeah...I mean we are still kind of far out when it comes to a mesoscale features, but it looks pretty interesting there.

I don't think anyone is "seeing" a pattern change right now. The AO will likely stay + for several weeks. The hope is that the MT torque events and any warming in the stratosphere can disturb the vortex and help us out in the PAC side and possible reduce the AO to more mediocre levels, instead of raging positive. I don't think this is something where models will "see" hints of it from 2 weeks out..it may happen quickly in a 6-10 period at some point..but that is just a guess.

Of course Jan may suck to, but my guess is that it changes...esp later in the month.

Where is he getting an AO forecast for mid January?

With the QBO going easterly between 30 and 50mb depths the correlation is to weaken the PV; time lag notwithstanding, but, the GLAAM slipped positive, and the positive anomaly is in the 50th parallel; the linear correlation coefficient between the GLAAM and AO is negative, such that a positive GLAAM tends to have negative AOs.

I thus find it interesting that the global integrated torque is going positive at the same time the AO is nearing neutral off it's peak of some +4SD 10 days ago. I think if anything the oppositive AO prog would make more sense.

Yeah...I mean we are still kind of far out when it comes to a mesoscale features, but it looks pretty interesting there.

yeah and it would only take a subtle shift in some of the features for it to be virtually nothing. the one thing against it is the depth of the unidirectional flow isn't particularly high and by the time to you get up closer to 850 or so...the flow is becoming a bit offshore....again subject to mesoscale type features too.

overall though, i'll take it in this pattern.

euro is pretty flat next week. would probably be some icing north of the pike

yeah and it would only take a subtle shift in some of the features for it to be virtually nothing. the one thing against it is the depth of the unidirectional flow isn't particularly high and by the time to you get up closer to 850 or so...the flow is becoming a bit offshore....again subject to mesoscale type features too.

overall though, i'll take it in this pattern.

euro is pretty flat next week. would probably be some icing north of the pike

Flat and very weak...barely any QPF up this way. A little colder at least.

JI,

those products don't exceed the end of the month. 2ndly, their error at that range makes anything approaching Jan 7 (let alone the ides of the month) N/S (No Skill) when using those model progressions/extrapolations. The BIAS product alone shows large error at D10. There's no indicator on that link for mid January - maybe there is a hidden link I over looked. But wouldn't put any faith in it even if there were.

I think the leading indicators on the -QBO and the rising GLAAM may be more telling. We'll see.

[Edit, the use of GLAAM is probably not such a good idea]

75hour euro clown snowmap buries me.

Wants to bring one band down from Marshvegas and get us pretty good for a brief time. Then another one gets you.

75hour euro clown snowmap buries me.

Wants to bring one band down from Marshvegas and get us pretty good for a brief time. Then another one gets you.

To what extent does the EURO (verbatim) penetrate inland? Does it clip south coastal and SE interior Mass or is this looking more like an extreme east coastal plymouth county event?.

I haven't had a chance to follow the models lately and I'm at work. TIA

To what extent does the EURO (verbatim) penetrate inland? Does it clip south coastal and SE interior Mass or is this looking more like an extreme east coastal plymouth county event?.

I haven't had a chance to follow the models lately and I'm at work. TIA

It looks like the more classic faster moving OES bands where one tries to setup on the more NE flow from CCB into Marshfield but while also being pushed south. It ends up decaying over me and towards Sandwich as another band forms on the more northerly winds by Phil. It's so far out there's no sense spending much time on it but it looks like a transistional OES type where the winds will keep the bands o nthe move

I have been lucky to have school and finals to distract me from this crappy pattern. But sadly those are all but over so now my hair pulling can begin.......which it looks like should be going on for a while it seems. There really appears to be nothing exciting going forward. But the end of the model runs(we are resorting to the ends) do show some encouraging things. With the Euro trying to save Xmas and the GFS(cough cough) trying to save New Years.

Archived