• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
OK / AR / KS / MO Winter 2013-2014

okie333

If the RGEM and HRRR are onto something there may be a big surprise awaiting OK tomorrow...both the 00Z RGEM and the last 2 hourly panels of the latest HRRR show the same signal of an outbreak of overrunning precip across OK in WRN AR starting 15Z and going til 00Z tomorrow...the NAM shows a similar idea but well east into SRN MO and AR not over CNTRL or WRN OK.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the RGEM and HRRR are onto something there may be a big surprise awaiting OK tomorrow...both the 00Z RGEM and the last 2 hourly panels of the latest HRRR show the same signal of an outbreak of overrunning precip across OK in WRN AR starting 15Z and going til 00Z tomorrow...the NAM shows a similar idea but well east into SRN MO and AR not over CNTRL or WRN OK.

You talking about icing tonight?

00z NAM did track a bit farther north... Doug is probably going to readjust and put Joplin in the 2-5" range.

The RAP is farther NW with the precip.... but I'm not in a trusting mood for the RAP.. lol

Doug did just that. You are now right in the middle of the 2-5" range. He has the 5-8" band touching Monett just to mess with me. :D

We better hope so around OKC, because it looks like Friday's "main event" prospects may be disintegrating before our eyes, as happens here 80% of the time in the final 36 hours. Unfortunately, anything tomorrow will clearly be PL in the metro, as you pointed out.

We better hope so around OKC, because it looks like Friday's "main event" prospects may be disintegrating before our eyes, as happens here 80% of the time in the final 36 hours. Unfortunately, anything tomorrow will clearly be PL in the metro, as you pointed out.

Just because the NAM said so doesn't mean its true. Besides, Norman is 20ish miles south of OKC and I live in Noble. :D

EDIT: 0Z GFS hasn't changed much. I don't trust the NAM much considering it's been fluctuating so much. Let see what the ECMWF shows later this evening. 

HRRR with the first area of precip rollin' through.  I have no idea how the HRRR does with winter precip... Nailed the tornado outbreak in IL/IN though last month. Sure makes a pretty cool looking map though.

hrrr18z.png

It absolutely nailed the event last week for OK/TX, I was all but ready to give up on the snow chances at OKC the night before with all the models seemingly showing nothing but kept it in my forecast because the HRRR showed about a 4-5 hour period where they would see snow and it ended up right.

12z Euro "Snow" numbers... (went south)

Chanute, KS:  0.6"

Bartlesville, OK: 2.3"

OKC:  Around 6"

Tulsa: 5.1-6.2"

Joplin: 3.7"

Monett: 5.2"

Springfield: 4.2" 

NW Arkansas area:  6-6.3"

Ft. Smith: Looks like 6.6" but might be 8.6"

Little Rock: 5.4-6.x"

00z Euro "Snow" numbers:

Chanute, KS:  2.1"

Bartlesville, OK: 4.4"

OKC:  6.5-7.1" or so

Tulsa: 7.8-8.3"

Joplin: 6.2"

Monett: 8.0"

Springfield: 7.3"

NW Arkansas area: 7.x-9.3 (north to south) 

Ft. Smith: 9.7"

Little Rock: 4.4-4.9"

Jomo, how far does that Euro run go out to? I'm curious to see what this Sunday/Monday event is wanting to do.

That's just the first event. The second event has less QPF, but we'll probably have to watch ratios with that with all the cold air sitting around.

David, you have a lot of patience with the "public" on your Facebook. Some of those people are just.... yeah.

With 285,000 folks you're bound to have a few asshats in the mix. After the rather big bust less than two weeks ago it certainly is understandable. Heck, I'm still nervous it will bust myself down in Texas even though the chance of that happening is becoming less and less. Luckily, I live up in Norman now so I should be able to continue coverage since we'll mainly have snow up here. Or at the least we won't have a huge ice storm like parts of SE OK and N TX will receive. 

The HRRR paints that ol' I-44 special... that's some heavy precip tomorrow. This may indeed be an interesting storm. Talk about a nightmare home commute. A nightmare in the best sense, for a weenie such as myself.

How do I sleep tonight?

The RAP has been very consistent in placing a swath of snow near I-44 in NE OK/SW MO as well with the initial round. 

I'm going to try to get some sleep. Had to look at the 06z NAM before bed though. It jumped farther north in pure NAM 'last minute adjustment' fashion. 

Springfield, MO threw this up at 2:22 AM

File.png

Hallelujah. I'm going to go ahead and officially allow myself to be excited. We're going to have a nice storm.

1. I'm interested in what the ratios turn out to be; particualrly overnight tomorrow and Friday morning

2. It's interesting that it seems earlier guidance is often closer to what appears to be verifying here and in recent events than guidance 24-48 hours out.

Hallelujah. I'm going to go ahead and officially allow myself to be excited. We're going to have a nice storm.

1. I'm interested in what the ratios turn out to be; particualrly overnight tomorrow and Friday morning

2. It's interesting that it seems earlier guidance is often closer to what appears to be verifying here and in recent events than guidance 24-48 hours out.

Can you send us some of your upper level cold- we need something to save us from the ice.

Radar has filled in extremely fast over the last hour.  LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE!!!!

Good luck to everyone!!!

I was getting a wee bit nervous much earlier this morning because the radar was looking a bit... um... sparse, not just nearby but even far to the southwest.  Thankfully, it is looking MUCH better.  I am now fairly confident that we are in for some fun, and that fun might just start a bit earlier than I thought.  I am still not so sure exactly how much fun we will have down here or what type of fun it will be, but it is definitely going to start getting interesting around here probably by early afternoon today.   

Archived