joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12/15-12/16 MV/GL snow event?

Thundersnow12

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least this storm looks pretty straight-forward compared to this last one. We basically know the general area of where it will be, but there are some differences on where the frozen sets up.

this looks like a waa snow event. They have done very well here in past years. Even if the layers do warm up, most of the precip is usually done....these are always front loaded (snow) systems.

It is interesting to see the way the models differ with the Pacific cyclone as it comes onshore with the GFS developing a well developed cyclone over MT and sending a weaker upper tropospheric wave into the plains while the NAM has a beefier shortwave into the plains and little development over MT. The retrogression of that east coast low will be prominent too.

Any chance it could go further north and help us out in Michigan? I'm sure it's pretty evident that I'm quite frustrated with the pattern Michigan has been in pretty much since I moved here a two years ago. What is causing all the storms to either go waaaay up to the north over wisconsin and minnesota or south through the Ohio valley? It seems like there has been a lot of dry air around in Michigan just destroying any storm that tries to enter.

Any chance it could go further north and help us out in Michigan? I'm sure it's pretty evident that I'm quite frustrated with the pattern Michigan has been in pretty much since I moved here a two years ago. What is causing all the storms to either go waaaay up to the north over wisconsin and minnesota or south through the Ohio valley? It seems like there has been a lot of dry air around in Michigan just destroying any storm that tries to enter.

Not with this kind of blocking. Well i should say the chances are small. Thankfully it has not been to bad down this way the past few winters. You would have loved 07-08 where you are and i thought 08-09 was good up that way as well? Anyways it is gonna be hard for us to get much from anything with this type of block showing up on modeling. Thus hope the models are wrong. Ofcourse something could still slip through but odd's are against it till the blocking is gone or shifted. We'll see anyways.

anybody know what the EURO has shown for this? it seemed to have last weekend's snow figured out pretty well, with the Canadian models finishing a close 2nd IMO.

Canadian is showing a further north solution and has been for a while, something to definitely watch as it did very well with this past system.

Archived