joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12/15-12/16 MV/GL snow event?

Thundersnow12

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That sucks. It's just now starting to snow here. We had snow down to about 1-2kft the entire time and some good radar returns and it never reached the ground. It's not like there was ever any good easterly flow in the boundary layer.. max 10-15 knots, but I guess that when combined with relatively weak upper lift, it was just good enough. Gonna file this one away for future reference.

This is a perfect example of what I was saying yesterday about the NAM scoring big occasionally up close, and it did this particular time. It wasn't perfect by a long shot, but it was certainly closer than a lot of the models. LOT got burned big time on that WWA from yesterday.

Yeah that dry air sure was tenacious on the eastern edge. I knew it was going to be a serious issue when we had 25dBZ returns right over us and not even a flurry to be seen early on. I'm close enough to the DVN radar that if it shows something over us it's usually reaching the ground.

It's been snowing very lightly off and on all day, but recently it's picked back up a bit again. Haven't measured yet, but looks like we got another 2-3 tenths since early this morning.

Here's DVN's snowfall map. I really like the look of their new snowfall maps this season. IMHO it's a considerable improvement over recent years.

Funny thing about this map is the snowfall amounts are almost an inverse to the weekend storm. The screw hole over the north side of the QC with that storm picked up the most with this clipper. Sort of an interesting oddity.

December%2015-16%20Snowfall%20Totals.jpg

MPX area snow totals

looks like we got two double-digit reports to top the event:

10.40 2 N WILLMAR MN KANDIYOHI 0700 PM

10.10 MURDOCK MN SWIFT 0343 PM

and agree with baro. about the gradient. crazy to see waconia get 6.5 and chan get 2.5... and the airport gets a trace.

Archived