Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
12/15-12/16 MV/GL snow event?

Thundersnow12

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just measured 1.2 inches of snow. It's currently snowing lightly. Once we hit 1.3 inches it will be the biggest snow of the season.

It's only snowing lightly? The radar shows you in >20dBZ returns. We've been stuck in the 10-20dBZ returns all night. I was hoping if we could get the 20-25dBZ returns in here we'd see the flake size increase, and get some better rates lol. Hopefully you get a few more inches out that way before all is said and done.

It's been snowing for over 4 hours now and we have a whopping 0.7" so far. Flake size has been around salt size since it started. The heavier band to the southwest is trying to get here, but it's fighting the drier air. This clipper pales in comparison to the one a few weeks ago. I think we'll be doing good if we manage to squeeze 2 inches out of this thing.

Note to self, next time the NAM is unusually dry compared to the GFS within 24hrs, disregard the overly wet GFS.

Yeah this one doesn't even compare. That one was far more impressive from a dynamic standpoint and had a much better moisture feed and a direct low level jet originating from the southern plains straight into the frontal zone. This storm the ejecting wave across the southern plains is dominating the moisture/LLJ, and that is what is initiating the elevated convection over southern IL/KY why the northern portion of this storm ingests that dry air associated with the stagnant high pressure zone.

Yeah this one doesn't even compare. That one was far more impressive from a dynamic standpoint and had a much better moisture feed and a direct low level jet originating from the southern plains straight into the frontal zone. This storm the ejecting wave across the southern plains is dominating the moisture/LLJ, and that is what is initiating the elevated convection over southern IL/KY why the northern portion of this storm ingests that dry air associated with the stagnant high pressure zone.

Yeah, with that system even in between the enhanced bands the snow was still coming down at relatively impressive rates. I remember it "pouring" small snow flakes in between the intense bands that had the larger dendrites. It's not really a fair comparison, as obviously that hybrid clipper was a whole different type of animal compared to this system.

I think this is the earliest I can remember so many clipper type systems impacting the Midwest so early in the season. To me it seems that these clipper type systems usually impact us more in the middle and latter part of winter.

Snowing nicely here! Im just glad to see the flakes flying! Deep down inside I'd love to see KIND regret pulling our WWA...:devilsmiley: BTW, OT...Did you see that clipper on the models for early next week?!! :snowman:

That is pretty borderline as far as WWA, although they're expecting the same amount as places just south which are under an advisory.

I did see that system. Looking good on the GFS. May be time for a thread soon.

the banding is retreating southwestward across the metro now; it's now largely stopped here.

it was really neat on the flight on final approach to punch through and then out of the snow right south of plymouth, which corresponded perfectly to the radar image at the time.

i'm still liking mankato for some good totals.

About 0.5" here after ~90 minutes. I hope we don't drop down to your pace. :lol:

Haha, looks like you guys have a shallower dry layer intrusion. Hopefully you squeeze several inches from this thing. The mid-level freezing isotherm isn't all that far south of you guys. Usually just north of that is where the heaviest snows (relatively speaking of course) falls.

Haha, looks like you guys have a shallower dry layer intrusion. Hopefully you squeeze several inches from this thing. The mid-level freezing isotherm isn't all that far south of you guys. Usually just north of that is where the heaviest snows (relatively speaking of course) falls.

Decatur has been reporting freezing rain too. Looks like the transition zone is roughly 20 miles south of the I-74 corridor at this time (but farther south than that as you go eastward in Indiana).

the banding is retreating southwestward across the metro now; it's now largely stopped here.

it was really neat on the flight on final approach to punch through and then out of the snow right south of plymouth, which corresponded perfectly to the radar image at the time.

i'm still liking mankato for some good totals.

Curse of msp already kicking in :(

Curse of msp already kicking in :(

no kidding. i've assured the twin cities a dry end to the year, save next week when i'm gone in nc.

anyway, light snow picking up again here as the precip finally pushes back into the metro. still no more than a coating.

post-504-0-02974200-1292485874.png

Local Chanhassen NWS just dropped not only the Winter Storm Warning but the Winter Weather Advisory for the TC, about time. Tough forecast for them, but it was a big bust. They issued the warning for the TC when it was pretty obvious dry air would dominate. The WSW was a definite head scratcher.

About 4 inches here, definitely didn't understand the WSW either. :yikes:

Archived