EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
12/15-12/16 MV/GL snow event?

Thundersnow12

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Admittedly, my specialty is tropical weather (me being from Florida and all)... so I'm still trying to learn the eccentricities of winter weather forecasting (I know the general stuff from meteo school).

I guess the thing that boggles my mind with this one is how far apart they are and how Louisville is stuck right in the middle. With models moving north and the precip trending north, I'm beginning to wonder if it doesn't end up that we see the most significant ice accumulations?

This happens to us a lot. It wouldn't shock me if we get a lot of ice or if it ends up mainly snow. We almost never know what we are going to get in this situation.

3-5" seems awfully high. Even the stalwart N outlier CMC took a huge drop S with the 0-6-12Z runs and came in much drier. I think we are seeing the influence of both the dry east low level flow and the retrograding east coast trough.

Is this why the models this morning have backed up west with the heavier QPF down here?

3-5" seems awfully high. Even the stalwart N outlier CMC took a huge drop S with the 0-6-12Z runs and came in much drier. I think we are seeing the influence of both the dry east low level flow and the retrograding east coast trough.

im with you on this one baro....water vapor loop clearly shows that retrograding low bullying back to the sw, dry air and all. http://weather.unisys.com/satellite/sat_wv_us_loop-12.html

Winter Storm Warning for my area lol

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TWIN CITIES/CHANHASSEN HAS ISSUED

A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOWFALL...WHICH IS IN EFFECT

FROM 3 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO 9 AM CST THURSDAY. THE WINTER WEATHER

ADVISORY IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* TIMING...PERIODS OF LIGHT SNOW THIS AFTERNOON WILL GIVE WAY TO

STEADY SNOW DURING THE EVENING HOURS... WITH THE MOST

SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL EXPECTED FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING THROUGH 7

AM THURSDAY.

* MAIN IMPACT...SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 5 TO 8 INCHES.

* OTHER IMPACTS...LOW VISIBILITIES AT TIMES DURING THE

SNOWFALL... ALONG WITH ATTENDANT TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES DUE TO SNOW

COVERED ROADS.

im with you on this one baro....water vapor loop clearly shows that retrograding low bullying back to the sw, dry air and all. http://weather.unisy...us_loop-12.html

Yeah that combo is tough to overcome. The CMC had a ton of qpf a couple days ago right in the center of all that dry air extending well into WI and parts of north-central MN. It seemed like an odd solution. It does look like hawkeye will finally get his snow and won't be in the screwzone thoughSnowman.gif

MPX did go WWA

SNOWFALL AMOUNTS WILL RANGE FROM 3 TO 6 INCHES BY THURSDAY MORNING...WITH ISOLATED HIGHER AMOUNTS.

new ulm reporting light snow now from the band draped across southern mn

I am not too optimistic, even for us in the SW burbs. UK/ECM/NAM seem to be right with the dry air influence and the retrograding low, and using that guidance, we may see 1-2" if we are lucky.

I am not too optimistic, even for us in the SW burbs. UK/ECM/NAM seem to be right with the dry air influence and the retrograding low, and using that guidance, we may see 1-2" if we are lucky.

could very well be the case. nasty northern precip gradient is real clear on the NAM....verbatim, that's just about nothing at my house. haven't had time to look at much else as i'm finishing up finals and packing.

MPX did just go winter storm warning to the southwest. they do acknowledge the uncertainty in the snowfall axis, though. still, i'm surprised they left out the tier of counties southwest of the mn river but included scott, carver, wright, and stearns.

could very well be the case. nasty northern precip gradient is real clear on the NAM....verbatim, that's just about nothing at my house. haven't had time to look at much else as i'm finishing up finals and packing.

MPX did just go winter storm warning to the southwest. they do acknowledge the uncertainty in the snowfall axis, though. still, i'm surprised they left out the tier of counties southwest of the mn river but included scott, carver, wright, and stearns.

Unbelievable. Their thoughts are definitely not with mine on this one. They also have Scott Cty in a warning. I see no way at this point Shakopee sees anything close to warning criteria with this.

Unbelievable. Their thoughts are definitely not with mine on this one. They also have Scott Cty in a warning. I see no way at this point Shakopee sees anything close to warning criteria with this.

it is pretty confusing, esp. seeing as both the nam and gfs clearly trended away from the metro on the 12zs.

i think i'd rather be in mankato than chanhassen right now for snow, yet the former only has a WWA.

They must have access to the super secret Hoosier weather model.

Here's KIND's thinking on this:

http://forecast.weat...on=1&glossary=1

FORECAST FOCUS IS ON WINTER STORM.MODELS IN FAIR AGREEMENT. TO EXTENT THEY DIFFER USING NAM WHICHNORMALLY CAPTURES MESOSCALE FEATURES BEST IN SHORTER TERM.BOTH MODELS HAVE THE LEADING EDGE OF A STRONG EQUIVALENT POTENTIALTEMPERATURE GRADIENT IN SOUTHERNCWA OVERNIGHT. SUCH AREAS FAVORBANDS OF RELATIVELY HIGH PRECIPITATION. NAM NORMALLY BETTER WITHSUCH BANDS THAN GFS...AND I GENERALLY ACCEPT ITS QPF.THIS IN TURN IMPLIES STRONG UPWARD MOTION...GOOD COOLING OFCOLUMN... AND ENHANCED DENDRITIC GROWTH. SO DECREASED CHANCE OFANYTHING BUT SNOW...INCREASED SNOW TO LIQUID RATIOS. SOUNDINGSSUPPORT THE MOSTLY SNOW CONCEPT...BUT SLEET OR ZR NOT OUT OFQUESTION IN SOUTH. USING AN ABOVE CLIMATOLOGY SNOW RATIO OF 15 TO 1GIVES 5 TO 7 INCHES OVERNIGHT IN SOUTH...JUSTIFYING WARNING THERE.

STICKING WITH NAM QPF SNOW RAPIDLY DECREASES TO NORTH.

ILX radar has been down since a little after 9 am this morning. LOT has taken over for ILX's cwa. I did not read or hear anything about routine maintenance so they must be having major problems.

must be, the mid morning AFD update came from LOT.. Which probeley means the WWA will be dropped knowing LOT laugh.gif

just kidding... no message from ILX as to why everything is down too..

Archived