• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Late November/Early December upcoming wx.

CoastalWx

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Normal November snowfall at most stations in SNE must be < 6 inches... So if we did manage to sneak any snow event next week it is a plus even if it does melt off in another torch. It's to be expected ...most people in this thread can't expect to start building snow pack in the month of November. November is generally a terrible month wx -wise with much more cold rain than anything. We romanticize those past late November snow patterns, but they are more the exception than the rule.

Now off to eat at a sidewalk cafe on my final night in the Baixa section of Lisbon. I wonder if I hit any systems crossing over tomorrow...haven't studied the Atlantic model maps.

You must be having fun over there.

It's been great and very reasonable overall in November.. Wx is not bad ...upper 50s to low/mid 70s over the last 10 days here. Upper low over us now so the kind of day where it is sunny until afternoon and then convective stuff billows and you get a late day shower. 546 thickness today, but 38N latitude and the whole Atlantic to the west so it can't get very cold.

You must be having fun over there.

Semi interesting this Thursday,

I guess I'm half excited then.....

Imagine if we have an ORH snow bomb and rain for Kevin. Wow.

ORH--AWT

REV: FYP

You forgot to post your temp and dewpoint at the end of your post

Don't you need to work? :) 55.8/40

Normal November snowfall at most stations in SNE must be < 6 inches... So if we did manage to sneak any snow event next week it is a plus even if it does melt off in another torch. It's to be expected ...most people in this thread can't expect to start building snow pack in the month of November. November is generally a terrible month wx -wise with much more cold rain than anything. We romanticize those past late November snow patterns, but they are more the exception than the rule.

Now off to eat at a sidewalk cafe on my final night in the Baixa section of Lisbon. I wonder if I hit any systems crossing over tomorrow...haven't studied the Atlantic model maps.

Have a good trip back!

NIce cozy weather's settled into interior NE Alaska ...

.TODAY...PARTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS 20 TO 30 BELOW. NORTH WINDS 10 MPH.

.TONIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY. PATCHY ICE FOG. LOWS AROUND 40 BELOW.

VARIABLE WINDS LESS THAN 15 MPH.

.WEDNESDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS 25 TO 35 BELOW. VARIABLE WINDS

LESS THAN 15 MPH.

.WEDNESDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY. LOWS AROUND 40 BELOW. VARIABLE

WINDS LESS THAN 15 MPH.

.THURSDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS AROUND 25 BELOW. VARIABLE WINDS

LESS THAN 15 MPH.

.THURSDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY. LOWS NEAR 30 BELOW.

.FRIDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS NEAR 20 BELOW.

.FRIDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY. LOWS NEAR 25 BELOW.

.SATURDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS NEAR 15 BELOW.

.SATURDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. LOWS NEAR 25 BELOW.

.SUNDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS NEAR 5 BELOW.

.SUNDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. LOWS NEAR 20 BELOW.

.MONDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS NEAR 10 BELOW.

Well good news I suppose, is that the euro seasonal forecasts cooled down a bit, but still kind of nasty, especially south of NYC. They aren't that pretty here either..but doable. Reminds me a bit of '07/'08.

I think that winter has been referenced quite a bit over the summer and this fall so far as what this winter may bring, We shall see how it goes once we get into december, We did well with marginal temps and snow that winter, I'm all in for it

I think that winter has been referenced quite a bit over the summer and this fall so far as what this winter may bring, We shall see how it goes once we get into december, We did well with marginal temps and snow that winter, I'm all in for it

Yeah the gradient seemed like it, but of course it doesn't mean we duplicate the prolific snow up your way. It just had that look.

Either way, Thursday afternoon maybe something for the higher elevations.

Since I am working on the biggest period of the year next week, we can probably lock in some freak winter event.

'05-'06 rarely had the snow stick around more then a few days save for the first 3 weeks of December when we had our only sustained cold pattern that winter....but I still rooted and enjoyed those 6-10" SW flow events.

8" of snow that melts in 4 days is better to me than 41F and no snow at all. Regardless, you are right that we rarely have snow that falls in November that will stick around all winter unless you are counting piles or a stray patch of snow sheltered by hemlocks.

I think the main points people need to take from the warm pattern talk are:

1. We are talking about in the mean...average...a 2-3 week warm regime does not mean there cannot be some colder days in there, its just the long wave pattern doesn't support cold so we do not see sustained cold.

2. A warm regime does not mean we cannot sneak in a snow event if short term things line up correct...esp for the climo favored spots in late November (NNE/interior SNE elevations).

3. Even if we do not see a flake over the next 3 weeks, that still only puts us at Dec 7th...there is a lot of winter left to go after that point. Both 2008 and 2010 saw nary a flake before 12/15 and both winters were quite prolific across most of SNE. I think I had more accumulated ice than snow on Dec 15, 2008 up to that point.

Best post of the day

I just care about temps attm. Snow will come when it comes

Best post of the day

I just care about temps attm. Snow will come when it comes

I think that's been the message all along, but people are concerned that we are blow torching the whole time. It doesn't work like that.

See, there are different aspects here because your area is defintely prone to do much better than this neck of the woods. So because we can't sustain cold...it doesn't mean you can't get a quick 31-32F snow deal. Around here, these types of deals are harder to come by, because climo is still rather hostile. We'd have to have a cold airmass shoved in here amid a pattern that is more conducive to being mild. I have 53F waters still to my east.

Of course, that water can be high octane fuel too.

Yeah the gradient seemed like it, but of course it doesn't mean we duplicate the prolific snow up your way. It just had that look.

Either way, Thursday afternoon maybe something for the higher elevations.

Since I am working on the biggest period of the year next week, we can probably lock in some freak winter event.

Would not expect the same results, But with any systems passing thru in that pattern we could see some winter precip chances in a marginal temp regime, Thurs right now, Does look like it has a chance for something even here, The last few runs had nothing so its trending the right way, Could get interesting for ya on turkey day snow or not if you have logan to contend with..

Looks like some snow on the way via the NAM, should be interesting Thursday, gotta love short wave lengths and a NS driven pattern, even in the ocean of fire these little islands of ice keep popping up

A little too late on the NAM run. It's not a high prob, but it got somewhat interesting on the GFS and Euro. There is nothing else remotely interesting otherwise.

A little too late on the NAM run. It's not a high prob, but it got somewhat interesting on the GFS and Euro. There is nothing else remotely interesting otherwise.

Its close to being something that could coat the ground, and yes, its all we have for the time being, so I am hoping for a weaker first wave and a more robust second with a better BL to act upon.

It will be close

Looks like some snow on the way via the NAM, should be interesting Thursday, gotta love short wave lengths and a NS driven pattern, even in the ocean of fire these little islands of ice keep popping up

Meh I don't really see the snow on the NAM.. this looks like a normal FROPA type event where it rains THEN the cold comes in

Archived