• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Late November/Early December upcoming wx.

CoastalWx

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely some changes notable about the GFS-derived teleconnectors from overnight... Others have made it clear that they are more Euro cluster reliant. To each his own.

For the time being I am actually more impressed by the fact that it is 65-70 today, and 2 days from now it may not crack 40 at this same time of day, and then 2 or 3 days later it may surge well into the 60s.

Looking at the temperature products at large and considering the NH snow cover data winter lurks not too far NW of our lat/lon already. This upcoming cold snap ...however brief, is an homage to our being precariously close by - such that a wayward wave can yank some of that mass southward. Interesting Meteorology.

Now if all one cares about is snow - fine. Someone should start at new forum out there on the electronic highways called www.ilovesnow.com, and have the rules vaguely stated that any scientif discussion about the weather is prohibited in lieu of wantun obsession with whether someone gets to have a snow pack or not.

But I digress... anyway, the PNA is tightly agreed upon rather abruptly by the 21 members of the GFS family from overnight, showing a very clear, coherent signal for a total rise of 1.5SD. Given to the size of the PNA domain, a rise of half that value would be enough monitor for orientation changes. The PNA can be neutral with a PNAP that is positive, due to its having so much domain/mass situated farther west over the open Pacific Basin. I am wondering which part of the PNA domain is going to represent the lion's share of the index rise. If it takes place over the eastern areas of the domain than the pattern over N/A may erupt a western heights recovery; perhaps the operational runs aren't picking up on that. Lots of possibilities there... But, seeing a tightly clustered rise of that magnitude is a great start for winter weather enthusiasts. The MJO ...regardless of what-have-you prog for phases 3 and 4 (not sure where that is coming from but it looks off to me), is currently residing on the terminous of Phase 7 and 8. NCEP anticipates it to remain weak, but, I am noticing a marked similarity to the last time in passed through 7, and we saw more cohenrency emerge as the eastward propagation continued. Quick word on that. We could also be in a MJO series that wants to favor the left side of the Wheeler diagram for amplitude. Should the current signal seen here, http://www.cpc.ncep....O/mjoupdate.pdf , prove accurate and extrapolates accordingly, the PNA would likely get a boost that is not currently even progged. The WPO/EPO correlation to the PNA can be operated on once that registers in the atmosphere - i.e., you wouldn't necessarily see it in the modes at this time.

The AO also is now showing several memebers taking a dive in the last 10 days of the month - that is new. The last 3 days showed pretty much every member remaining positive, albeit mop ended.. There is still the same incoherence, but a few members have begun sinking; I have noticed in the past that an early AO decay often does begin with a member or two, then the rest following suit over a couple few days. Have to see there... Quck word on that. When the AO does finally tank - and it will - cold transport to middle latitudes slated to benefit off of that will do so with particular panache this year. The abundance of snow pack under verifying presence of massive -20 to -30 850 packages above 55N is an canon loading that may be difficult for some poeple to get their heads around when we are sitting in these untimely 70F breezes.

at least the pattern is closer to seasonal next week...though i suppose euro would suggest yet another massive warm-up day 10+

Yeah the Euro would have us in our banana hammocks as we enter December probably, lol.

An overall warm regime doesn't mean we can't get lucky during these little transient cold shots...so we definitely do not have to put the models away for 2 weeks. Esp the interior as is usually the case as climo dictates in late November. But sustained cold definitely does not look in the cards.

Hey John, the NAO does try to go negative. Here is the problem...that vortex over AK shoves Bering Sea taint right into Canada. So even if we have blocking, it shoves that crappy airmass into SNE. We really need for that Bering Sea vortex to just go away. An EPO phase change would be exponentially better than a -NAO IMO...especially for coastal areas. Higher elevations might be able to get away with a crappier airmass.

Yeah the Euro would have us in our banana hammocks as we enter December probably, lol.

An overall warm regime doesn't mean we can't get lucky during these little transient cold shots...so we definitely do not have to put the models away for 2 weeks. Esp the interior as is usually the case as climo dictates in late November. But sustained cold definitely does not look in the cards.

yep. this run is a good example of what's been posted a lot - that the overall theme is above (much at times) normal, but we can always get a scooter sneaky special in there if the cards were to break right.

i don't see the arctic air locking in for the time being, however. LOL.

yep. this run is a good example of what's been posted a lot - that the overall theme is above (much at times) normal, but we can always get a scooter sneaky special in there if the cards were to break right.

It's ok for flakes to fall on Pete's locks once in a while, but sucks for us..unless we somehow get an airmass like what is shown on Tuesday.

Yeah, I agree. Overall the pattern still sucks but it's certainly possible to sneak something out particularly in northern sections where climo is a bit more on their side this time of year.

Won't take much to have 3 shots at accumulating snow over the next 7-10 days. Thursday could snow..then Tuesday..and then possibly the holiday itself.. Not bad at all. better than tracking warmth and posting about flip flops and sex wax

...but even if a few mangled flakes DO manage to fly within the next 2 weeks or so, I personally could care less. ...I mean, let's say that we get another foot of snow between now and 12/1. Will it stick around? ...nope! I just want it to get cold enough to freeze the ground, so any snow that does fall will start to build a meaningful snowpack. For me, it's the time of year where I look for a snowfall that will cover the grass until late March or so...

The biggest snow event of '01-'02 here was on Dec 8, 2001 with 9 inches of snow...it was in the 70s on 12/6/01 across much of the area...one of the warmest Dec days on record. Then the next week it cracked 60F again IIRC. God-awful pattern, but we snuck in a decent storm there.

Archived