• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
How long will it take for Pete's snow to melt?

weatherMA

31 members have voted

1. 1. How long will it take Pete's 26-30" of snow to melt?

• It will never melt.
    • It won't melt until next spring or summer.
    • It will melt, but it will take 4 weeks and then another storm will hit
    • 2-3 weeks
    • He will be mowing his lawn by next weekend
    • It will melt in sun exposed areas, but shady areas will still have at least a foot before the next storm hits
    • 1-2 weeks

• 2 weeks later...

The torch today had to have done a number on what was left... low of 48F and a high of 60F at 2,000ft in Peru is not good for keeping snow around. Like we always say in the winter, its the overnight lows thats the killer. He made it a while with snow because for the first 5-7 days or so it was able to refreeze quickly at night... now, not so much.

Highs today were 64F in Beckett and 65F at Chester Hill. I'd imagine only due north facing aspects would be able to continue to hold snow. Open areas must be pretty low.

No doubt he'll have snowbanks or at least snow in those drainage gullies alongside the roads for a while... maybe till April.

Been 10 days now.

How's it going Pete?

Today hurt but there is still snow to be had.

The torch today had to have done a number on what was left... low of 48F and a high of 60F at 2,000ft in Peru is not good for keeping snow around. Like we always say in the winter, its the overnight lows thats the killer. He made it a while with snow because for the first 5-7 days or so it was able to refreeze quickly at night... now, not so much.

Highs today were 64F in Beckett and 65F at Chester Hill. I'd imagine only due north facing aspects would be able to continue to hold snow. Open areas must be pretty low.

No doubt he'll have snowbanks or at least snow in those drainage gullies alongside the roads for a while... maybe till April.

Still getting to freezing here in the glen as there is still snow. Hill tops not so much,. North facing slopes and shaded spots still hold snow but you are correct open areas are now open.

He'll say it was 32 this morning

Actually 32.4, Shaw Pond 33, things set up last night but there was no frost on my windshield. Your posts drip with envy.

Here's a pic I snapped on the way home tonight. The Pine forest and North aspect really help to hold the snow. It won't surprise me if this snow holds on until the next snowfall. It'll probably make it to Spring.

It does look pretty sparse once you get into the woods, but that is still ridiculous. The only snow I have is a few snow banks still in the parking lots.

It does look pretty sparse once you get into the woods, but that is still ridiculous. The only snow I have is a few snow banks still in the parking lots.

I still have snow (not from the snowblower) on my lawn, but only about a quarter of it now. I still have snow on my roof which is very surprising. Will be gone Wednesday.

I sort of want my lawn to get clear so I can mow...lol. (Pete, don't kill me...)

I still have snow (not from the snowblower) on my lawn, but only about a quarter of it now. I still have snow on my roof which is very surprising. Will be gone Wednesday.

I sort of want my lawn to get clear so I can mow...lol. (Pete, don't kill me...)

Everyone will be wiped out eventually before we get our next snow. It looks very warm for at least another week to 10 days and possibly a bit longer.

I snapped a pretty impressive pic at my relatives' place in Princeton that had a solid 80-90% cover on Sunday, I'm sure they are below 50% nbow. They are below weenie ridge at about 700 feet...but being just east of the ridge line really shelters them well. They radiate like mad at night.

Everyone will be wiped out eventually before we get our next snow. It looks very warm for at least another week to 10 days and possibly a bit longer.

I snapped a pretty impressive pic at my relatives' place in Princeton that had a solid 80-90% cover on Sunday, I'm sure they are below 50% nbow. They are below weenie ridge at about 700 feet...but being just east of the ridge line really shelters them well. They radiate like mad at night.

98% or so gone here, now... just a few small piles

98% or so gone here, now... just a few small piles

Yeah this torch is doing a number on what's left. Everyone will be wiped out clean except for piles by this time next week.

Maybe a little patch of snow buried within the hemlock and douglas fir forests of GC.

Snow now totally gone in the Lenox-Pittsfield area, even in the hemlock, pine forests. I can't say I've ever seen 2 feet of snow melt so quickly before. That soft snow has absolutely no staying power against a torch like this. With the rain coming tomorrow I bet even the lingering patches at 2K it will melt in the shady areas.

BTW, I am now posting under this screen name. I decided to let go of the red tag since I'm not an employed meteorologist even though I have a degree in the field. I tried my best to get into the profession, but have now decided to follow other paths. I will always love weather and snow as I have pretty much my whole life. That will not change. Snowman.gif

Snow now totally gone in the Lenox-Pittsfield area, even in the hemlock, pine forests. I can't say I've ever seen 2 feet of snow melt so quickly before. That soft snow has absolutely no staying power against a torch like this. With the rain coming tomorrow I bet even the lingering patches at 2K it will melt in the shady areas.

BTW, I am now posting under this screen name. I decided to let go of the red tag since I'm not an employed meteorologist even though I have a degree in the field. I tried my best to get into the profession, but have now decided to follow other paths. I will always love weather and snow as I have pretty much my whole life. That will not change. Snowman.gif

Good luck with the new endeavors.

I had thought you were employed as one. You have made great contributions to this site at least.

Good luck!

Good Luck Mitch. Sure hope you will still be a regular here. Today really hurt. Still some snow around but what looked fairly robust yesterday is looking ravaged today. I'd say another 2-3 days and only piles will remain. It was so good though. A sweet memory to savor.

Good Luck Mitch. Sure hope you will still be a regular here. Today really hurt. Still some snow around but what looked fairly robust yesterday is looking ravaged today. I'd say another 2-3 days and only piles will remain. It was so good though. A sweet memory to savor.

Hang in there Pete, should be a chronic December for ya'! Things look to align nicely this winter for the interior.......should be epic up that way :snowman:

Archived