Newest Member
    northernriwx
potential for a few (million) mangled flakes part 2

Alpha5

• Replies 854
  • Created
  • Last Reply

at 400 feet a little to your south. Drizzle and a few flakes at 37

That's no fun. Well there is a latitudinal component to the thermal gradient. Lowlands in northern Dutchess Co mixed with snow hours before I noticed any mixing in Putnam. It might not work out for you this go around, but your 400ft might serve you well on Saturday.

anyone have a map for 11/6/1953?...that was one of the earliest snowstorms on record...

that storm is featured in the KU book in the early and late season storm chapter. It featured a strong cutoff upper low that slowly meandered east from the Ohio Valley into southern PA. It induced strong low pressure off the NC coast which intensified to about 992 mb.. There was an ananomously cod High pressure north of the Great Lakes and New England. The storm tracked northwest and came inland into Northeastern PA.

anyone have a map for 11/6/1953?...that was one of the earliest snowstorms on record...

East of the city changed to rain a lot of PA NJ MD and WNY in the 10+. It involved a closed 500mb low and a nonprogressive troff. Totally different than a fast moving troff like this one.

NYC had three October snowfalls, Two of them were .5" and one was .8". If the NAM or even the GFS verifies it would be a new major record and statistically off the charts. So I would be very careful before I make the official forecast. I will wait for the0 Z and 12Z runs then decide. One thing thou is that the weather is getting crazier by the day-year.

Needless to say, people shouldn't look at these weenie snow charts. First off, the snow will take some time to really accumulate and the ratios will be 6 or 7:1. Right now it's pretty safe to say that the first half of the storm should be rain along the coast, with the snow setting in as the low departs and N winds really taking hold. It could still be one heck of a run for 6 hours or so under what bands pivot through. And still very significant-if 0.75" liquid can fall in that time, that can still be 4-6" of snow in any location. I have a feeling this storm will be full of surprises for many of us. Just don't be sad the next morning when just about all the snow will be gone. The ground is still very warm.

NYC had three October snowfalls, Two of them were .5" and one was .8". If the NAM or even the GFS verifies it would be a new major record and statistically off the charts. So I would be very careful before I make the official forecast. I will wait for the0 Z and 12Z runs then decide. One thing thou is that the weather is getting crazier by the day-year.

Its interesting that October snow is more favored around Philly than NYC and Boston. Philly had 2.1" on 10/10/1979, 2.0" on 10/19-20/1940, and 1.1" on 10/30-31/1925.

And I think the GFS might be out to lunch on its thermal profile given the dynamics going into the storm and the tightness it will probably take on. It will pull the cold air in on the western side, and most other models including the Euro, UKMET and NAM see this. I also don't think given how progressive the overall pattern is, that it will track so far west to make most of us rain due to warm advection or a dryslot. I see it tucking NNE for a time, then scooting ENE.

Its interesting that October snow is more favored around Philly than NYC and Boston. Philly had 2.1" on 10/10/1979, 2.0" on 10/19-20/1940, and 1.1" on 10/30-31/1925.

Philly might be in a better spot than many around NYC and Boston given no wind trajectory over any water there. Boston might take a long time to switch completely to snow. Any east wind component kills them because of Boston Harbor. NYC can afford NNE winds because the trajectory is from the Hudson Valley/CT.

Probably due in large part to NYC and BOS located directly adjacent to the warm 60-65F October ocean. PHL at least has 50-60 miles between them and water.

Probably due in large part to NYC and BOS located directly adjacent to the warm 60-65F October ocean. PHL at least has 50-60 miles between them and water.

For me in Villanova, about 15 miles NW of PHL and about 500ft elevation, I'm liking my position in this event, that is of course IF it pans out.

Needless to say, people shouldn't look at these weenie snow charts. First off, the snow will take some time to really accumulate and the ratios will be 6 or 7:1. Right now it's pretty safe to say that the first half of the storm should be rain along the coast, with the snow setting in as the low departs and N winds really taking hold. It could still be one heck of a run for 6 hours or so under what bands pivot through. And still very significant-if 0.75" liquid can fall in that time, that can still be 4-6" of snow in any location. I have a feeling this storm will be full of surprises for many of us. Just don't be sad the next morning when just about all the snow will be gone. The ground is still very warm.

And hopefully those surprises will not include fallen trees and power lines causing power outages and flooded basements..................

Archived