amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
First Winter Storm Threat (Oct 27/28) for New England 2011/12 - III

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortuantley for some folks, that burst is only snow above the Mass border.

41.4/40

I think he'll get some snow, but there is still a question of it being flakes with a slushy coating of crap or a legit 0.5" to 1". I'd lean a little to the latter, but we'll see what Dr No says.

I'd guess overall I'd feel good from Will to Pete on north into sw NH. Seems like there may be a 3-4 hr window where we could get a burst of almost MDT snow in those areas. Certainly potential for 2"+ there.

I'm looking forward to seeing how long it takes for flakes to mix in tomorrow. Obvioulsy accums will lag, but just having them in the air will be awesome.

Price paid for having a strong 1st system...

The problem, synoptically, for system 2 is not the inherent S/W strength; it is the fact that the 1st system is stronger, and has "dented" the ability for the 2nd system to roll-out immediately leading S/W ridging... If it had more, the wave would break sooner and the low would fire off sooner and closer. The other side of the same coin is to say "dynamics robbing" et al..

Price paid for having a strong 1st system...

The problem, synoptically, for system 2 is not the inherent S/W strength; it is the fact that the 1st system is stronger, and has "dented" the ability for the 2nd system to roll-out immediately leading S/W ridging... If it had more, the wave would break sooner and the low would fire off sooner and closer. The other side of the same coin is to say "dynamics robbing" et al..

Though going off the GFS in the last 4 runs with the first system, the trend has been weaker and more progressive, definitely noteable at 850.

18z 48 hrs

post-402-0-94502900-1319649669.gif

12z 30 hrs

post-402-0-40068300-1319649695.gif

Archived