joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
First Winter Storm Threat for New England 2011/12 - II

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Face the fact that you will be up once an hour thursday night to check the window to see if Hartford has flipped over yet.

I probably won't even go to bed at all.

Two of my friends asked me if I wanted to go out somewhere for my birthday and I said no b/c I want to look at the models and the snow potential.

I probably won't even go to bed at all.

Two of my friends asked me if I wanted to go out somewhere for my birthday and I said no b/c I want to look at the models and the snow potential.

Yeah, it's pretty crazy, I already know I'll be a wreck come friday morning. At least all i have for work friday is baby duty. Hopefully he gets to see his first snow!

You should let your friends buy you a drink for your birthday, the model data is archived. ; )

My guess is some of these mesoscale models are a bit too suppressed. It would be nice to have all this extra cold, but the Euro ensembles were not any further south or colder than the OP this afternoon. That raises a red flag for me. The RGEM not agreeing with the NAM is another...usually you want those two to agree. So this SREF/NAM show seems to lack a bit of credibility to me...esp with the SREF increasing its spread at 21z vs the previous runs.

Yeah, it's pretty crazy, I already know I'll be a wreck come friday morning. At least all i have for work friday is baby duty. Hopefully he gets to see his first snow!

You should let your friends buy you a drink for your birthday, the model data is archived. ; )

It's not the same as looking at the data as it's coming out. It's like watching a replay of your favorite team b/c you missed the game. They can buy me a drink...and bring it to me here :)

Really tough call down here though...NAM/SREFS look solid but the GFS has me a little worried but we'll see. Hopefully it comes in a bit colder down here with the 0z run.

It's not the same as looking at the data as it's coming out. It's like watching a replay of your favorite team b/c you missed the game. They can buy me a drink...and bring it to me here :)

Really tough call down here though...NAM/SREFS look solid but the GFS has me a little worried but we'll see. Hopefully it comes in a bit colder warmer down here with the 0z run.

fixed

been lurkin online last few days as i was up in N.conway/Jackson area for a few.

hiked the ridge line just s. of mt. washington in a moderate to heavy snow band for an hour or so ...(with snow getting down to about 3800' on sat pm) and accums on trees from 4000' and up

just an awesome climate up there in the presidentials above 4k :)

sorry for the OT (will be the one and only)

it's great to see what was a pipe dream in many people's mind's on friday when i left....becoming something serious to follow

wish i had access to somewhere to view the thurs nite event with elevation ??? but my option are pretty much cambridge or wakefield, ma lol

so who knows my sights are pretty much set for sat pm (a real "storm") after getting to live thru already seeing some snow on my hike this last sat in the presidentials.

In short, I still like the Rt 2 corridor in ORH county and NW MA up into S VT and Monadnocks as the best area for this system....we'll see if the rest of the 00z suite says anything different, but based on the RGEM disagreeing with the NAM, my guess is no. We could see this tick south, but it would still jackpot those areas.

been lurkin online last few days as i was up in N.conway/Jackson area for a few.

hiked the ridge line just s. of mt. washington in a moderate to heavy snow band for an hour or so ...(with snow getting down to about 3800' on sat pm) and accums on trees from 4000' and up

just an awesome climate up there in the presidentials above 4k :)

sorry for the OT (will be the one and only)

it's great to see what was a pipe dream in many people's mind's on friday when i left....becoming something serious to follow

wish i had access to somewhere to view the thurs nite event with elevation ??? but my option are pretty much cambridge or wakefield, ma lol

so who knows my sights are pretty much set for sat pm (a real "storm") after getting to live thru already seeing some snow on my hike this last sat in the presidentials.

Good for you. Snow in Oct is a treat even in the high peaks.

If the S trend holds you will have seen snow there then flakes in the CP while the Presidential's are partly cloudy. lol

In short, I still like the Rt 2 corridor in ORH county and NW MA up into S VT and Monadnocks as the best area for this system....we'll see if the rest of the 00z suite says anything different, but based on the RGEM disagreeing with the NAM, my guess is no. We could see this tick south, but it would still jackpot those areas.

Even the NAM and SREF almost jackpot those areas with them being so far south so yeah, gotta like those areas you mentioned.

It seems that the area you outlined tends to do well in SWFE's compared to other areas of SNE. Is that true? I know my first year out here 07/08 it was SWFE's that buried us when areas S & E were not as prolific.

Even the NAM and SREF almost jackpot those areas with them being so far south so yeah, gotta like those areas you mentioned.

Look at the vortmax track....that is often a teller...if its weak, then it can be suppressed, but this isn't that weak. Its anafrontal which will push it south a bit, but its not enough to make a NAM solution IMHO.

At any rate this sets us nice for the weekend.

The weekend event is a long shot at this point IMHO...it def could happen, but I think its probably like a 1 in 4 or 1 in 5 shot. Maybe its enough to give interior spots more paste...but I'm doubting the bomb scenario.

Archived