joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Major LES Event

TheWeatherPimp

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just 9" here in the last 24 hours with about 12" on the ground. I found my snowboard almost useless. Just took average depths.

Average depths worked ok this morning, but winds picked up a good bit this afternoon and blew and drifted the snow a good bit, so I'm not sure how realiable the change in depth would be from this morning till now would be in estimating how much snow fell. Saw an increase in depth of 1-3" overall since a little before noon, so the 2.7" on the snow board seemed like an OK guess.

Heavy lake effect penetrating far inland... 1+" per hour snows inside the band. If it stays nearly stationary through the overnight, some spots could see 6-10 inches. This is already the snowiest December on record at YNG, should be the snowiest of any month by tomorrow morning.

METAR KYNG 140151Z 31015G23KT 1/4SM +SN BLSN SCT002 OVC008 M09/M11 A2970 RMK AO2 SLP077 SNINCR 1/7 P0005 T10941111

Heavy lake effect penetrating far inland... 1+" per hour snows inside the band. If it stays nearly stationary through the overnight, some spots could see 6-10 inches. This is already the snowiest December on record at YNG, should be the snowiest of any month by tomorrow morning.

METAR KYNG 140151Z 31015G23KT 1/4SM +SN BLSN SCT002 OVC008 M09/M11 A2970 RMK AO2 SLP077 SNINCR 1/7 P0005 T10941111

The band has pushed a little further to the northeast after dropping southwest earlier.

SPECI KYNG 140211Z 30012G19KT 3/4SM -SN BLSN BKN002 OVC008 M09/M11 A2970 RMK AO2 P0001

Sorry to be a pest but do you think here in mississauga we can get some decent snows with that lake effect tommorow?Thanks

Well, YYZ = Pearson = in Mississauga, so yeah. :). But the further north and east you are the better chance of getting something significant. Although, I think everybody should get at least a little. It'll be interesting to see the 12km WRF which comes out in about an hour.

Toronto blizzard,

here's total QPF from one of the 0z 12km WRFs

wrf_precip36_F36.gif

It's further east than the NNM/Bufkit. Really focuses in on downtown, while Etobicoke, and especially Mississauga are fringed.

Regardless, it looks like some part of the city of Toronto is going to get a fair amount of snow. Surprise snow, since neither EC nor the media are paying this any attention. These hi-res models nailed the LES event last Monday, so there's something to this potential.

0142 PM SNOW VALPARAISO 41.48N 87.05W

12/13/2010 M9.0 INCH PORTER IN NWS EMPLOYEE

AVERAGE OF 9 INCHES FOR STORM TOTAL. MEASURED 3.5 FOOT

DRIFTS. BEGINNING TO SNOW AGAIN.

There's no way to know if that's the actual amount that fell...the blowing/drifting was unparalleled compared to anything I had every seen before...

Hey guys. Here in Medina County, OH....we've gotten some nasty snowfall but so far it seems the hype of Saturday night has really made this thing seem like an overplayed event. I was at work and had people saying, "Did it slow down? Is it over already?"

Overall, unless it strikes tonight/tomorrow....it looks like many will see this as a bust. Keep in mind, for the last two days, we've been warned of up to 12 inches (atleast) of snow with winds gusting at 50+mph.

Definitly been a wild winter thus far here in Cleveland. Those from this area, when does the lake normally freeze? I am guessing that this year will be slightly earlier due to the cold weather. Does the lake effect resume once it unfreezes?

Not sure about the average freeze date. Sometimes the lake doesn't freeze at all, other times by early January it can be mostly covered.

Even with a lot of ice, the ice has the tendency to develop holes and break apart after storms when windy cold air rushes in. Since the other lakes upstream don't freeze, you only need a relatively small hole of free water in Lake Erie to start the lake effect back up again, especially on the east side.

The lake effect doesn't resume once the lake breaks up towards springtime because the lake effect needs warm water and a cold atmosphere, by spring the opposite is true (cold water and warmer air). Fog is kind of common though.

Aside from one heavier snow report near Twinsburg, the NWS has handled this situation very well, at least on the East side. The heavy bands off Huron just didn't materialize like I thought they would. Maybe it is very hard to get a 350° wind around the Cleveland Metro keeping that Lake Huron connection band over the city?

Not sure about the average freeze date. Sometimes the lake doesn't freeze at all, other times by early January it can be mostly covered.

Even with a lot of ice, the ice has the tendency to develop holes and break apart after storms when windy cold air rushes in. Since the other lakes upstream don't freeze, you only need a relatively small hole of free water in Lake Erie to start the lake effect back up again, especially on the east side.

The lake effect doesn't resume once the lake breaks up towards springtime because the lake effect needs warm water and a cold atmosphere, by spring the opposite is true (cold water and warmer air). Fog is kind of common though.

Aside from one heavier snow report near Twinsburg, the NWS has handled this situation very well, at least on the East side. The heavy bands off Huron just didn't materialize like I thought they would. Maybe it is very hard to get a 350° wind around the Cleveland Metro keeping that Lake Huron connection band over the city?

I bet ice is already forming on the western basin with these cold temps and winds. Although the winds will tend to prevent the ice from forming somewhat.

Picked up a few more inches last night. It's very hard to measure though... the winds are still howling. Winds are going to be backing today... we'll see if there is a repeat of what happened last week.

I bet ice is already forming on the western basin with these cold temps and winds. Although the winds will tend to prevent the ice from forming somewhat.

Picked up a few more inches last night. It's very hard to measure though... the winds are still howling. Winds are going to be backing today... we'll see if there is a repeat of what happened last week.

The winds are definitely backing and I think earlier than predicted. The L. Huron squalls have moved east by about 25 mi. since last night and are just about at my doorstep. With the snow already down, even 1/3 of last week's event should be interesting. Bring it on...........

There is some mighty dry air out there, and while it looks like the boundary layer will get more moist this afternoon I don't see a lot of really moist air upstream, in fact overnight the GFS model shows 850 hPa humidites dropping to levels where cloud breaks should develop.

I don't see the convergence that occurred with the last event. Aside from a couple inches here and there I'd say this event is winding down quickly.

Dry...dry...dry

around 15 inches of snow here, wind /is gusting over 35mph for about 36 straight hours. Drifts are 5-7 feet in town, 9-10 feet in the rural areas. COMPLETE shutdown of the area since sunday night. cars in ditches everywhere and stuck on the main "highways" through the area. worst storm in many years.

There is some mighty dry air out there, and while it looks like the boundary layer will get more moist this afternoon I don't see a lot of really moist air upstream, in fact overnight the GFS model shows 850 hPa humidites dropping to levels where cloud breaks should develop.

I don't see the convergence that occurred with the last event. Aside from a couple inches here and there I'd say this event is winding down quickly.

Dry...dry...dry

I was hoping you would have some good news this morning. You can really tell the dry air is taking its toll on the bands. Dry air is advecting in from lower MI which doesn't help. Snow is still flying off of the other lakes which is a good sign. I think we just need a long fetch to add moisture. CLE seemed fairly bullish that the snow might pick-up again... but who knows with LES.

around 15 inches of snow here, wind /is gusting over 35mph for about 36 straight hours. Drifts are 5-7 feet in town, 9-10 feet in the rural areas. COMPLETE shutdown of the area since sunday night. cars in ditches everywhere and stuck on the main "highways" through the area. worst storm in many years.

How much of that 15" was from the storm before LES took over? I have been DYING to see some pics from the thumb. PLEAAAASE post!

WOW

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORTHERN INDIANA

1030 AM EST TUE DEC 14 2010

.TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON

.DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.

..REMARKS..

1024 AM HEAVY SNOW 4 ESE WANATAH 41.41N 86.83W

12/14/2010 M33.0 INCH LA PORTE IN COCORAHS

33.0 INCHES IS 3 DAY STORM TOTAL WITH 18 INCHES FALLING

IN THE PAST 24 HOURS. DRIFTS RANGE FROM 4 TO 6 FEET.

Archived