joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Major LES Event

TheWeatherPimp

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

around 15 inches of snow here, wind /is gusting over 35mph for about 36 straight hours. Drifts are 5-7 feet in town, 9-10 feet in the rural areas. COMPLETE shutdown of the area since sunday night. cars in ditches everywhere and stuck on the main "highways" through the area. worst storm in many years.

geeze

where are you?

edit: i think i read you are in the thumb

Dry air has won the battle... the lake effects snow have pretty much shut down in NE OH. It seems that any moisture that trys to move in from NE gets caught up in the lake huron bands. Not looking good for additional snowfall today. I wonder when CLE will take the warnings down.

Umm... some places are still getting heavy snow. Actually some places are getting heavy snow for the first time during this entire event. Butler, Ravenna, Youngstown, and Meadville are all reporting 1/2 mile visibility in snow. And this tower cam out of Youngstown shows extremely low visibilities.

http://www.wfmj.com/...nk.asp?L=423078

METAR KYNG 141651Z 30010KT 1/2SM SN BLSN OVC013 M09/M12 A2982 RMK AO2 SLP119 T10891117

METAR K29G 141655Z AUTO 29012G15KT 1/2SM SN OVC009 M10/M12 A2986 RMK AO2 T10961122

METAR KBTP 141655Z AUTO 27009G16KT 240V300 1/2SM OVC010 M09/M12 A2980 RMK AO1

METAR KUCP 141656Z AUTO 28009KT 3/4SM -SN BKN002 BKN010 BKN080 M09/M12 A2984 RMK AO2 T10941122 BKN V SCT P0000 SLP141 $

Umm... some places are still getting heavy snow. Actually some places are getting heavy snow for the first time during this entire event. Butler, Ravenna, Youngstown, and Meadville are all reporting 1/2 mile visibility in snow. And this tower cam out of Youngstown shows extremely low visibilities.

http://www.wfmj.com/...nk.asp?L=423078

METAR KYNG 141651Z 30010KT 1/2SM SN BLSN OVC013 M09/M12 A2982 RMK AO2 SLP119 T10891117

METAR K29G 141655Z AUTO 29012G15KT 1/2SM SN OVC009 M10/M12 A2986 RMK AO2 T10961122

METAR KBTP 141655Z AUTO 27009G16KT 240V300 1/2SM OVC010 M09/M12 A2980 RMK AO1

METAR KUCP 141656Z AUTO 28009KT 3/4SM -SN BKN002 BKN010 BKN080 M09/M12 A2984 RMK AO2 T10941122 BKN V SCT P0000 SLP141 $

Is it possible that with such low inversions the snow is occuring and just being overshot by the radar?

Anyways, just flurries here since about 6am. Between last night and early this morning saw an additional 3.9" in southern Solon, storm total up to 15.3". 17" on the ground with 2-3'+ drifts.

The military was sent in earlier today to rescue 300 trapped motorists on Hwy 402 which runs between Sarnia and London. We have some guys from work that are stuck somewhere on the 402 route. We have a guy at work who was trapped that is all over the news apparently with his story.

I had heard about the stranded motorists, but didn't know the army was called in. Just like in Buffalo a couple of weeks ago, cops are caught flat footed when the time comes to close down the highway.

Is it possible that with such low inversions the snow is occuring and just being overshot by the radar?

Anyways, just flurries here since about 6am. Between last night and early this morning saw an additional 3.9" in southern Solon, storm total up to 15.3". 17" on the ground with 2-3'+ drifts.

No, it's still showing up on radar. Lots of LES still occurring off of Lakes Michigan and Superior too, so I don't think Erie will shut down anytime soon.

centgrtlakes.gif

Not sure if anyone has posted this yet.

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/hundreds-trapped-on-sarnia-freeway%2C-rescue-efforts-underway

SARNIA, ONTARIO (WXYZ) - A driver who is among hundreds trapped on Highway 402 near the Blue Water Bridge in Sarnia tells Action News he's been stuck for more than 24 hours.

Illya Kornobis says he's never seen anything like it. He has been trapped on the highway along with hundreds of people who were forced to spend a frigid night trapped on a stretch of highway near the Blue Water Bridge.

Rescue efforts are now underway after being hampered by blizzard conditions. Heavy snow and zero visibility has made travel impossible in that area.

Kornobis says he's been stuck on the highway since 10:00 a.m. Monday.

"It’s been a crazy over 24 hours… It’s been pretty crazy but I’m now bunking with a truck driver behind me so I’m nice and warm so that’s great," Kornobis told Action News. "I’ve driven on this road a number of times, and I’ve never seen this happen. The snow just kept coming and the roads were icy and everything just came to a standstill."

Kornobis says helicopters have been brought in to remove people, families and the elderly.

"They did bring us food last night around 9:00 p.m. We got a sandwich and a pop. So at least we got some food," says Kornobis.

The Canadian government has declared eastbound 402 in Sarnia a National Disaster area.

That stretch of highway is located five miles east of the bridge.

The only traffic allowed to cross the Blue Water Bridge at this time are vehicles headed to the immediate Sarnia area.

No, it's still showing up on radar. Lots of LES still occurring off of Lakes Michigan and Superior too, so I don't think Erie will shut down anytime soon.

centgrtlakes.gif

It's showing up, but I was surprised to hear of half mile visibilities as it looks rather light on radar.

Anyways, Chagrin Falls mentioned low level moisture increasing some (although that the mid levels are still very dry)...it looks like that this is still causing a slight increase in the lake effect upstream, so we'll see where this gets us:

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/mesoanalysis/new/archiveviewer.php?sector=16&parm=les1

Not sure if anyone has posted this yet.

http://www.wxyz.com/...fforts-underway

The part about the natural disaster area declaration appears to be untrue. I haven't been able to verify it with any Canadian news source. Regardless, an amazing mess unfolding down there. According to the Toronto Star, they're airlifting people off the highway.

http://www.thestar.com/article/906577--airlift-rescue-begins-on-snowbound-highway-near-sarnia

The Wanatah total has been corrected down 2".

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT...CORRECTED

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORTHERN INDIANA

1149 AM EST TUE DEC 14 2010

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...

..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....

..REMARKS..

1024 AM HEAVY SNOW 4 ESE WANATAH 41.41N 86.83W

12/14/2010 M31.5 INCH LA PORTE IN COCORAHS

31.5 INCHES IS 3 DAY STORM TOTAL WITH 18 INCHES FALLING

IN THE PAST 24 HOURS. DRIFTS RANGE FROM 4 TO 6 FEET.

29" in Westville.

1117 AM HEAVY SNOW 5 ESE WESTVILLE 41.51N 86.81W

12/14/2010 M29.0 INCH LA PORTE IN COCORAHS

29.0 INCHES IS 3 DAY STORM TOTAL WITH 12.0 INCHES

FALLING IN THE PAST 24 HOURS.

It's showing up, but I was surprised to hear of half mile visibilities as it looks rather light on radar.

Anyways, Chagrin Falls mentioned low level moisture increasing some (although that the mid levels are still very dry)...it looks like that this is still causing a slight increase in the lake effect upstream, so we'll see where this gets us:

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/mesoanalysis/new/archiveviewer.php?sector=16&parm=les1

Don't forget that visibilities don't necessarily correlate to snow falling. A very light snow with these winds, combined with previously fallen snow can easily create half mile visibs.

I think the hype over this event was extreme for what fell. Downtown closed yesterday at 3 pm and many places were closed today. There was maybe 3" that fell on the west side and downtown. Last Wednesday's event caused a lot of fear and panic. I have to say I was embarrassed to see police directing traffic this morning with clear streets and partly sunny skies. What a joke!

Winds have backed enough (under 300) it appears over western and central lake erie. This allows for a fetch from the entire western basin. The big question is will there be a lake response? CLE still calling for an additional 2-4 tonight. Snow is still flying off of the other lakes so dry air hasn't completely shut the lake snows off.

Winds have backed enough (under 300) it appears over western and central lake erie. This allows for a fetch from the entire western basin. The big question is will there be a lake response? CLE still calling for an additional 2-4 tonight. Snow is still flying off of the other lakes so dry air hasn't completely shut the lake snows off.

It's been pretty quiet over here in Chagrin Falls most of the day, snow showers on and off. Actually I am kind of grateful for the respite!

Understandably CLE was hesitant to remove the warnings. My money is in the dry air winning out but I hope I'm wrong.

CONTEMPLATED THE ADDITIONAL IMPACT OF LAKE EFFECT SNOW ACROSS THE REMAINDER OF THE WARNED AREA TONIGHT. CURRENT OBS FROM RAVENNA AND YNG SHOWING THE SNOW CONTINUING THIS AFTERNOON...WHILE MUCH OF CUYAHOGA AND MEDINA COUNTIES HAVE SEEN LITTLE. GIVEN THE LULL IN ACTIVITY INITIAL THINKING WOULD BE TO CONSIDER DOWNGRADED HEADLINES. HOWEVER...SOME CONCERNS CONTINUE. WATER VAPOR IMAGE

SHOWING SOME ENHANCEMENT OVER LAKE HURON THIS AFTERNOON ROTATING SOUTH TOWARD NORTHERN OHIO. SURFACE WINDS ALSO HAVE BACKED A BIT THIS AFTERNOON. WHILE THE NAM IS NOT VERY IMPRESSIVE WITH LAKE EFFECT SNOW REDEVELOPING TONIGHT LOCAL MODELS SHOWING SOME ADDITIONAL BANDS DEVELOPING AFTER 00Z AND CONTINUING FOR SEVERAL HOURS DURING TONIGHT WITH A DIMINISHING TREND BY 12Z WED. THERE ARE A NUMBER OF FACTORS THAT WILL REDUCE IMPACT OF THE LAKE EFFECT

SNOW DEVELOPMENT SUCH AS DRIER AIR LIMITING MOISTURE AS WELL AS LOWER INVERSION HEIGHTS. IN THE END...GIVEN THE POSSIBILITY OF THE REDEVELOPMENT OF LAKE EFFECT IN NE OH NO COMPLETELY CONFIDENT ON DROPPING HEADLINES FOR THE OVERNIGHT. OUTLINED ACCUMS IN WSW PRODUCT.

Understandably CLE was hesitant to remove the warnings. My money is in the dry air winning out but I hope I'm wrong.

CONTEMPLATED THE ADDITIONAL IMPACT OF LAKE EFFECT SNOW ACROSS THE REMAINDER OF THE WARNED AREA TONIGHT. CURRENT OBS FROM RAVENNA AND YNG SHOWING THE SNOW CONTINUING THIS AFTERNOON...WHILE MUCH OF CUYAHOGA AND MEDINA COUNTIES HAVE SEEN LITTLE. GIVEN THE LULL IN ACTIVITY INITIAL THINKING WOULD BE TO CONSIDER DOWNGRADED HEADLINES. HOWEVER...SOME CONCERNS CONTINUE. WATER VAPOR IMAGE

SHOWING SOME ENHANCEMENT OVER LAKE HURON THIS AFTERNOON ROTATING SOUTH TOWARD NORTHERN OHIO. SURFACE WINDS ALSO HAVE BACKED A BIT THIS AFTERNOON. WHILE THE NAM IS NOT VERY IMPRESSIVE WITH LAKE EFFECT SNOW REDEVELOPING TONIGHT LOCAL MODELS SHOWING SOME ADDITIONAL BANDS DEVELOPING AFTER 00Z AND CONTINUING FOR SEVERAL HOURS DURING TONIGHT WITH A DIMINISHING TREND BY 12Z WED. THERE ARE A NUMBER OF FACTORS THAT WILL REDUCE IMPACT OF THE LAKE EFFECT

SNOW DEVELOPMENT SUCH AS DRIER AIR LIMITING MOISTURE AS WELL AS LOWER INVERSION HEIGHTS. IN THE END...GIVEN THE POSSIBILITY OF THE REDEVELOPMENT OF LAKE EFFECT IN NE OH NO COMPLETELY CONFIDENT ON DROPPING HEADLINES FOR THE OVERNIGHT. OUTLINED ACCUMS IN WSW PRODUCT.

I think in the end this ended up being a run of the mill LES event for the primary snowbelt, with winds exacerbating the typical snow that fell. The heavy qpf that was to cover areas from Sandusky to Cleveland never materialized. A true north south flow must be hard to come by.

I really wish CLE could break Cuyahoga into two warning groups. It would really turn off the hype for these storms and force forecasters to make decisions about how intense the storm will be. Right now its so easy to slap up a warning for the county because Solon and Chagrin are going to get heavy snow when everyone else gets a dusting to 2".

I think in the end this ended up being a run of the mill LES event for the primary snowbelt, with winds exacerbating the typical snow that fell. The heavy qpf that was to cover areas from Sandusky to Cleveland never materialized. A true north south flow must be hard to come by.

I really wish CLE could break Cuyahoga into two warning groups. It would really turn off the hype for these storms and force forecasters to make decisions about how intense the storm will be. Right now its so easy to slap up a warning for the county because Solon and Chagrin are going to get heavy snow when everyone else gets a dusting to 2".

Accums were definitely ordinary. The winds were what made this event interesting. It is hard to get a sustained N to S flow. We basically need a stalled low over WNY. Moisture seems to be overcoming the dry air on the other lakes so we'll see if the same can happen here overnight with a longer fetch... and less wind speed.

Archived