joxey
October 2011 General Discussion/Obs

Chicago Storm

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

from IND

..FIRST FROST POSSIBLE ON SATURDAY NIGHT

STRONG HIGH PRESSURE EAST OF INDIANA WILL ALLOW COOL CANADIAN AIR TO ARRIVE ACROSS CENTRAL INDIANA THROUGH THE WEEKEND. ON SATURDAY THE HIGH TO THE WEST WILL BUILD ACROSS CENTRAL INDIANA...ALLOWING SKIES TO CLEAR. THIS WILL RESULT IN FAVORABLE CONDITIONS FOR FROST FORMATION...PARTICULARLY IN RURAL AND LOW LYING AREAS. TEMPERATURES ON EARLY SUNDAY MORNING ARE EXPECTED TO BE IN THE MIDDLE 30S ACROSS MUCH OF CENTRAL INDIANA...IDEAL FOR FROST FORMATION.

More buckets of water continue to fall. A good 1-2" of lake effect/lake enhanced rain overnight, a sign of the time for a few weeks down the road, when it turns from wet to white.

The NWS pages are down this weekend. But we are now at ~51" of liquid equivalent precip this year. That's now 3rd place for top wettest years, with a full 3 months left to go in the year. We are about 3 inches and some change from breaking the record.

We are on track to have an unbelievable 60" of liquid this year!

That storm made for some great images.

39. LAF thermometer FTL.

It was several degrees warmer than forecast today. One good thing for cooling tonight is that the flow shouldn't be coming off of downtown, which can produce a very slight UHI effect. But I'm not sure if the winds will drop off enough to allow for ideal radiational cooling.

It was several degrees warmer than forecast today. One good thing for cooling tonight is that the flow shouldn't be coming off of downtown, which can produce a very slight UHI effect. But I'm not sure if the winds will drop off enough to allow for ideal radiational cooling.

I saw 58-59 forecasted for the high today, so I'm not sure we really overachieved by hitting 60. Regardless, it's LAF. I mean IND was cooler this morning by 3 degrees.

MSN already down to 40° F, should be the coldest night of the year so far, with a freeze in the NWS forecast. Fall is wasting no time this year.

Probably 5-10° F warmer in the city this time of year and with no wind, though some low-lying spots may frost out due to cold air pooling. I'm on a hill that terminates in Lake Mendota so all my cold air is sliding into the lake, which is around 60° F and modifying temps on the lake shore quite a bit.

Amazing we are talking about freezes tonight and what is coming up this week.

Oh yeah, it is me Angrysummons, I finally got highspeed believe it or not(probably the last person in the free world that did lol). Models come in really fast now. Sorta takes away from the suspense.

I saw 58-59 forecasted for the high today, so I'm not sure we really overachieved by hitting 60. Regardless, it's LAF. I mean IND was cooler this morning by 3 degrees.

I was looking at the point forecast issued at mid morning which had a high of 55, but the earlier one (337 AM) did have a forecast high of 58.

40 as of midnight. I think your 39 is too high and I'm getting concerned about 37. :guitar:

When parts of S. Illinois are likely to get frost before the lake areas of SE Wisconsin that says all you need to know about this microclimate of ours.

Some of the southern IL folks would probably be willing to trade in a frosty autumn night for some bonus lake effect snow squalls in the winter though lol.

Archived