• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Fall Thread

Are they terminating the Flood Watch or going to renew it?

Likely to be renewed/expanded. Actually, looking closely at CTP's unupdated disco it appears that the Sus Valley flash flood watch was only to cover possible convective development thru this evening. They actually let it ride through its expire time of 8pm this eve due to the low flash flood guidance values in the Sus Valley. I expect at least the southeastern 2/3s or more of the CTP coverage area to be included in a flood watch which will cover the the potential for excessive rainfall later tomorrow thru Wednesday with heavier rain more directly associated with the remnants of Lee itself.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Likely to be renewed/expanded. Actually, looking closely at CTP's unupdated disco it appears that the Sus Valley flash flood watch was only to cover possible convective development thru this evening. They actually let it ride through its expire time of 8pm this eve due to the low flash flood guidance values in the Sus Valley. I expect at least the southeastern 2/3s or more of the CTP coverage area to be included in a flood watch which will cover the the potential for excessive rainfall later tomorrow thru Wednesday with heavier rain more directly associated with the remnants of Lee itself.

Thanks. That explains alot.

Portion of the text from the flood watch:

* LIGHT TO MODERATE RAIN WILL CONTINUE TO FALL OVER THE AREA TONIGHT INTO TUESDAY MORNING. HEAVIER RAIN ASSOCIATED WITH THE REMNANTS OF TROPICAL STORM LEE WILL OVERSPREAD SOUTHERN PENNSYLVANIA ON TUESDAY...THEN THE REST OF THE STATE TUESDAY NIGHT. A WIDESPREAD 3 TO 6 INCH RAINFALL IS POSSIBLE BETWEEN TUESDAY AND THURSDAY...WITH THE HEAVIEST AMOUNTS MOST LIKELY OVER THE MOUNTAINS OF CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA.* SHOULD WIDESPREAD HEAVY RAIN OCCUR...WIDESPREAD MODERATE FLOODING COULD OCCUR. RIVER FLOODING WOULD BE POSSIBLE WITH WIDESPREAD HEAVY RAIN. FLOODING ON AREA RIVERS COULD LINGER INTO THE WEEKEND.

LINK

Off topic but might as well share: my parents in East Texas have had to evacuate as three fires rare converging on their neighborhood.

My best friend's sister's house burned down this morning. A fire is quickly approaching my parents-in-law near Fort Hood.

The fires in Texas are are so scary and affecting so many people. That bashful fire that's burned hundreds of homes is tragic.

No relief in sight.

Off topic but might as well share: my parents in East Texas have had to evacuate as three fires rare converging on their neighborhood.

My best friend's sister's house burned down this morning. A fire is quickly approaching my parents-in-law near Fort Hood.

The fires in Texas are are so scary and affecting so many people. That bashful fire that's burned hundreds of homes is tragic.

No relief in sight.

It's unbelievable how dry Texas has been, and its not like just a part of the state that is under exceptional drought.. it's practically the entire state. Texas itself likely attributed to Lee never really being able to get its act fully together as the west side of the circulation drew in the dry air from over the state and kept it's southwest side eroded for most of its duration in the Gulf. Hope the fires stay away from your relatives' homes down there.

Martin has finally updated most of the CTP disco... so you folks looking for a heavy hitting detailed disco will likely have to wait til tomorrow morning.

Sypnosis update:

.SYNOPSIS...-- Changed Discussion --A STALLED FRONTRAL SYSTEM ACROSS SE PA WILL LIFT NORTHWARD LATETUESDAY INTO WED. THIS IN COMBINATION WITH MOISTURE FROM THE REMAINSOF LEE WILL BRING THE RISK OF HEAVY RAIN TO THE AREA THROUGH THU.THERE IS THE THREAT OF SIGNIFICANT FLOODING THROUGHOUT THEREMAINDER OF THE WEEK. TEMPERATURES WILL AVERAGE BELOW NORMAL.-- End Changed Discussion --

Near term addition

THE FLASH FLOOD WATCH FOR EASTERN AREAS EXPIRED AT 8 PM.DID ISSUE A FLOOD WATCH FOR SOUTHERN AND EASTERN AREAS TONIGHTAND TUE. A LARGE AREA OF MODERATE TO AT TIMES HEAVY RAIN WILLCONTINUE TO TRACK ACROSS THE AREA THAT SAW HEAVY RAIN SINCEYESTERDAY.DID CUT BACK ON POPS SOME ACROSS THE NW. DID UP TEMPS SOME FORSOUTHERN LANCASTER CO. ALSO ADJUSTED QPF VALUES UP SOME.DECIDED THAT NOT TO HAVE A WATCH UP TONIGHT WAS NOT GOING TOWORK...GIVEN RADAR AND SATELLITE TRENDS. AS WAS THE CASE LASTNIGHT...A SE FLOW OF HIGH DEWPOINT AIR IS BEING ADVECTED NW.NOT REALLY SEEING MUCH RISK OF THUNDER OVERNIGHT. DID HAVE AREPORT OF A FUNNEL CLD EARLIER AT LNS...BUT NO WIND OR TOUCHDOWNOCCURRED. THAT CELL WAS SMALL.ANYWAY...HARD TO SEE THE COLD FRONT MOVING MUCH FURTHER TO THE SE.

Short term addition

I ADJUSTED THE TEMPS A LITTLE ACROSS THE FAR SE.

Long term addition

DECIDED TO ISSUE A FLOOD WATCH FOR ALL AREAS INTO THURSDAY...BASED ON WHAT I HAVE SEEN THE LAST FEW DAYS...SYSTEM HAVINGBOTH SIGNIFICANT DYNAMICS AND TROPICAL MOISTURE...AND QPF FORECASTFROM VARIOUS LOCATIONS...INCLUDING THE OHRFC...MARFC...HPC...ANDOURS. ALSO HAVE RIVER POINTS FCST TO FLOOD. INCLUDED THE NW MTS...AS I AM CONCERN THAT THE HEAVIER SHOWERS AND STORMS MAY LIFT NWINTO THAT AREA ON WED. ALSO OF CONCERN IS THE FORMATION OFTHUNDERSTORMS WITH TORRENTIAL RAIN ON WED...AS AREAS FROMM THERIDGE...VALLEY AREA EAST AND SOUTH GET BACK INTO THE WARM SECTOR.SEVERE WEATHER COULD BE A CONCERN AGAIN.

No relief in sight.

i saw videos last night of the fires. I was wondering about your family there. I'll think good thoughts for them..

Well KMDT has hit 3.4" as of 7 am since this event began on Sunday evening. Reading the AFD this morning they seem to be talking about 2 distinct periods of heavy rain. One being this afternoon into Wednesday morning and then a second later Wednesday through Thursday afternoon. Any estimates on KMDT rain total by Thursday evening?

Well KMDT has hit 3.4" as of 7 am since this event began on Sunday evening. Reading the AFD this morning they seem to be talking about 2 distinct periods of heavy rain. One being this afternoon into Wednesday morning and then a second later Wednesday through Thursday afternoon. Any estimates on KMDT rain total by Thursday evening?

The ground is already so satured, the rain is pooling up on the ground. ABC27 calling for moderate flooding of the river

Just saw FOX 43 say 2 - 4 inches then a second later saw ABC27 say 3-5 inches with bands of 6-8 possible. Talk about a nice range of numbers, especially for it being rain and not snow.

Fox is in line with what the GFS and other models say. The guy from 27 (Bret Thackera) said at times we would be in 2" an hour rates

No relief in sight.

Sorry to hear this, I was reading about it in the Central subforum. Wish we could share our rain.

I would like to see where he is getting those 2"/hr rainfall rates from. The one thing I didn't get a chance to see was a rainfall map. I forget how big a viewing area they have, and expect a fairly wide range of totals with this storm within their viewing area.

Yeah, don't know? I'm not a fan of his.

The ground is already so satured, the rain is pooling up on the ground. ABC27 calling for moderate flooding of the river

As far as I can tell, the Susquehanna River at Harrisburg has never crested above flood stage more than twice in one year. 1936, 1984, 1994, 1996(kinda, was related to the same January event but one day apart) and 2005 all had two crests above 17'. 2011 has already had two crests above flood stage.

I mentioned before about the wide range of rainfall totals in the viewing area of Harrisburg TV news stations. This is the latest HPC map for 72 hr qpf as of 8:00 am this morning. I just imported the KML file into google earth and took a screenshot and added the missing qpf demarcations that were out of the screenshot for rainfall. I only put overlays for qpf of 3 or > inches. Congratulations Altoona with a max of 9.55 in. Cumberland county alone ranges from 4 inches to close to 7 inches.

post-4667-0-14361800-1315315855.jpg

No way will they be able to have them open, I'm betting.

Hey, best wishes to your family. What a horrible time down there. I truly hope things work out for them.

Down here, we seem to be on the outside looking in as far as the outrageous rain totals are concerned....dumb question....does getting less rain down here "lessen" the severity of the Suskie flooding? I mean, all of that water still has to come downstream, even if we "only" get 3 or 3 inches of rain.

Archived