Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Fall Thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The GFS is problematic to me because it has handled Lee the best out of all the models - last week I recall it was one of the few that said Lee would go into Louisiana and then try to come up here. Also, I've noticed tonight that the GFS pressure pattern of Lee was initializing much better than the NAM. The 12-14" the GFS is spitting out may be a bit overdone, but combining stalled fronts and tropical systems usually means trouble. If the pattern evolves like the GFS has it, I can see how we get a fairly widespread area of 4-8". Seems like a lot, but just look at how much we've piled up just tonight. We put together 2-4" in the Susquehanna Valley in just a few hours. All you need in this kind of setup is a few bands of heavy rain and thunderstorms these high amounts.

That being said, it's still just a scenario. We're combining a lot of things that the models don't do particularly well - tropical systems (both Lee & Katia), stalled fronts and a cut-off low at 500mb.

Some HUGE flooding likely for you guys if the GFS and probably NAM are right for you guys. I remember very well back in 2004 when Frances and Ivan came up that way and seeing the massive flooding along the Juniata and Susquehanna, and this could very well be repeated if these 5-10"+ rains are verified on the GFS, and they could if T-storms setup the right way for long enough a time, in front of the slow moving front, plus orographic lift that caused both Frances and Ivan to be so prolific up there. It should be quite an event for many of you guys-best of luck, and personally I'm glad you're taking the flooding crown off us for a few days.:axe:

Could someone give me a lesson on U-wind and V-wind anomalies. They were mentioned in the latest CTP discussion with being 3 - 4 Standard deviations above normal for Wednesday through Thursday. Anyways in the words of CTP this should be an "efficient rain making machine" through Thursday foe a good portion of central and eastern pa.

06Z GFS raises the ante again by showing a nice swath of 10 - 15 inch rainfall from just about, or just north of, Harrisburg up to the NY state line. This is at hour 84 with small dots of 15" + rain showing up by hour 96 or 102. Never thought I would be getting closer to the forecast period and have the GFS keep pushing the boundary of what is rational. At this point if even 2/3 of the rain falls on the area the GFS predicts it would still be really bad. KMDT had over 2.25 inches from the storms last night. Throwing another 6 or so inches by Thursday afternoon and it starts to look a bit bad.

Guys, say a little prayer or thought for my parents and thr firefighters and everyone in Texas; my parents have been evacuated because two separate fires are closing in on their neighborhood. These fires have already killed a mom and her baby and destroyed a good chunk of homes.

We get 10" rain, and Texas gas t seen 4" rain all year. Not right.

Archived