amirah5
Central PA Fall Thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

as for 8 am

KMDT 5.66"

KSEG 5.69"

Numbers are fairly even along that N-S line where training is currently occurring. Some very heavy rain just to the south of Harrisburg now abour to move in.

As the crow flies, I sit just over 10 miles southeast of KMDT, and I am JUST on the outside of that south to north pipeline, and I'm not complaining...

Michael, where is that?

BTW, looks like an extended break based on radar - are you expecting more convective type rain later today?

On the end of my road just outside of Bellwood, I'm on Becker Rd looking at Kerbaugh Rd. I just came back from driving around and the water had actually come up more on this. There are a few roads closed and more that have some minor flooding issues. I'll likely try to make a trip to our family's place in Spruce Creek later today to see what that looks like.

As for the rain, I do expect it to return later today and it will likely be pretty prolific whereever it sets up. A look a regional radar, or the big NWS national mosaic (http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/full_loop.php) will show the very deep fetch of moisture and associated thunderstorms streaming from VA/NC. That stuff appears to be targeting the Sus Valley later today, and makes HPC's new QPF outlook that targets that area look pretty good unfortunately. For us we will likely see some more showers pop up, and whatever does will be pretty heavy. It does seem attm that the axis of heaviest rainfall will be to the east of us and we might actually see a decent break in the action.

On the end of my road just outside of Bellwood, I'm on Becker Rd looking at Kerbaugh Rd. I just came back from driving around and the water had actually come up more on this. There are a few roads closed and more that have some minor flooding issues. I'll likely try to make a trip to our family's place in Spruce Creek later today to see what that looks like.

As for the rain, I do expect it to return later today and it will likely be pretty prolific whereever it sets up. A look a regional radar, or the big NWS national mosaic (http://radar.weather...s/full_loop.php) will show the very deep fetch of moisture and associated thunderstorms streaming from VA/NC. That stuff appears to be targeting the Sus Valley later today, and makes HPC's new QPF outlook that targets that area look pretty good unfortunately. For us we will likely see some more showers pop up, and whatever does will be pretty heavy. It does seem attm that the axis of heaviest rainfall will be to the east of us and we might actually see a decent break in the action.

Wow, I bet it's crazy down in Spruce Creek. Doesn't look like a good day to drive to the Spruce Creek Tavern for a tray of fries.

BTW, they closed alt 220 near Julian.

The one thing that's interesting on models are the hints that we may see appreciable rains from showers/storms well into the weekend. That's crazy.

The other thing, putting the cart ahead of the soaked horse, that thing in the Gulf could make things really interesting next week. If that tries to come up, watch out.

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. -- Centre County has declared a disaster emergency based on the potential for flooding. Emergency officials have activated the county Emergency Operations Center.

Heavy rains have caused localized flooding at University Park and in the surrounding area. Pedestrians and motorists are advised to use caution and prepare for delays. Motorists should not drive through standing water.

The National Weather Service has issued a flood watch for Central Pennsylvania from now through Thursday evening, Sept. 8. Additional rainfall amounts are expected to average between 1 and 3 inches, with local amounts in excess of 5 inches possible.

Flooding situations are changing constantly this morning. The latest information follows:

-- Fox Hollow Road, the main road between campus and the University Park airport. Fox Hollow Road was flooded between Cricklewood Drive and Park Avenue and was closed for a period of time. The water has receded and the road is open. However, Penn State police report that the water is beginning to build up again near the I-99 overpass and the road may need to be closed again. It's best to avoid that area if at all possible.

-- Flooding has reduced southbound traffic on North Atherton Street to one lane at Village Drive.

-- The intersection of Pollock and Bigler roads on the University Park campus is beginning to flood. Motorists should avoid the area and pedestrians should use caution.

-- The parking lot west of Research B on the University Park campus is flooded. The drains are not clogged, but are overwhelmed with the amount of water flowing to them and are draining slowly.

-- Big Hollow Road on campus is flooded.

-- Rt 550 (Buffalo Run) at Ashcraft Lane in Patton Township also is flooded.

Kmdt now up to 2.98" for the day and 7.65" for the storm. They about to get slammed again for another 30 minutes or so then a small break. Looking at that radar feed coming north makes me feel this may be worse than I expected.

Definitely seems like bad flash flooding might be widespread in the valley today.

Archived