12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
T.S. Lee

HWY316wx

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People need to go ahead and call it a night, don't be freaking out...follow the GFS, it's handling the feature just fine and has since Day 1. GFS shows a strong 4-8 inch rainfall track along and just north of the low track...

00zgfs850mbTSLPp06_county012.gif

00zgfs850mbTSLPp06_county024.gif

00zgfs850mbTSLPp06_county036.gif

00zgfs850mbTSLPp06_county042.gif

Just because we're 6-12 hours delayed does not mean we will have empty rain gauges come Wednesday...you gotta remember that this storm never had a chance to grow a large inner rain core like you have with a hurricane...we'll have to wait for Lee to make his approach and those areas close to track will fall into the deformation zone on the north and northwest quad...

Also again...gotta remember, Lee is going through the night time consolidation. He will begin to spread back out tomorrow and then do the exact same thing tomorrow night. North Georgia and the Western Carolinas could be in that sweet spot 24 hours from now.

Channel 2 in Atlanta showed a map that shows about 1/2--1 1/2" total rainfall from Lee.

I think that's going to be about right. The heaviest rain will be north and west of the track of the low. The GFS output is much lighter on the east and southest side (Atlanta and south and east of there). Guys in Atlanta and south will not get another decent rain band until probably Tuesday morning. Enjoy Labor Day! If you are south and east of ATL, your outside activities may be mostly dry. That 1 1/2" will be in the northwest suburbs.

You guys should take a step back from the edge of the cliff, it's not over yet.

Yeah I totally agree. It's amazing how fast the weenies fall off the boart. It's like winter all over again. Thank God it isn't winter, some of you would be taking a cliff dive. NWS only has me at 30% chance of showers. And we have been having light rain here for the past hour.

I'm beginning to wonder the same. From all that I have seen, the upslope was to begin after 02Z (10pm EDT) once the flow into the mountains increased to over 20kts, the highest all day. But, radar returns still look paltry down south and I remain with 0.00" today.

Now we have the 00Z NAM and 18Z GFS, along with the 01Z RUC, all drastically cutting precip here in the mountains and especially east near CLT. By about 50% from what I could tell at first quick glance. That's not to say we won't be measuring rain in "inches", but more like 2-4" through Friday, rather than the 10" that was originally projected. I'll give it 12-18 more hours, and see what radar is looking like, before I begin to think this event will really be for central and eastern TN (along with AL and MS) and not the Carolina's.

If the nam is right some places in SC may be lucky to get .50 of an inch out of this. Beginning to look as if our drought will hardly be touched SE of I-85.

Beginning to think the same thing now. The Euro and 6z runs are much drier, esp. for most of SC and central and southern GA, where widespread less than inch totals show up. The rough dividing zone of the heaviest rain should be north and west of 85, but its looking more and more like the really heavy totals will be mostly west of the Apps, so I'd cut my totals in western NC and ne GA some, and really shave them down in most of SC and east of the mountains in NC. For my own area I've lowered my expectations from 5" totals to 2.5" totals this week. Roughly 3" to 5" in most of western NC mountains. The forcing on the east side of the mountains with the wedge front has been reduced a lot for NC, and focused more toward Virginia.

It amazes me that GSP has not put out flood watches out for Iredell and Mecklenburg counties with HPC and Weather channel coming out with these maps

Here is a portion of the morning AFD from GSP.

A WARM CONVEYOR BELT FEATURE DEVELOPS LATE TONIGHT AS

WELL...AND THIS MAY KEEP CELLS TRAINING NWD AS IT SLIDES EAST. THE

QPF BRINGS THE POTENTIAL FOR A FEW INCHES EASTWARD OVER THE

PIEDMONT. THUS...THE CHARLOTTE METRO AREA WILL ALSO HAVE A FLOOD

THREAT. COURSE OF LEAST REGRET IS TO EXPAND THE FLASH FLOOD WATCH

FARTHER INTO THE PIEDMONT.

2100 CDT Last Night -- About the time I was last checking on the storm, it was a bit NW of Baton Rouge, and slightly ESE of the central Louisiana city of Alexandria.

2200 CDT Last Night -- NHC issued its last update on Lee.

0500 CDT Today -- The center of what circulation is left of Lee has moved well east of where it was before I went to bed. This can currently (at 0520 CDT) in the following floater loop: http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/flt/t1/flash-ir4.html

The center has passed Baton Rouge to the north and we are almost out of the center to the SW. At NHC's last update, movement was ENE at 7 mph.

At this time the IR Flash loop from the NHC satellite images page ( http://www.goes.noaa.gov/HURRLOOPS/huirloop.html ) shows some Gulf moisture still being pulled up into northern Florida, southern AL and southern GA, as the widespread reach of Lee still hangs on. For now those outer bands are still coming. Looks like the Atlantic SE states still have a good chance at decent rainfall from where I'm watching.

You guys hang in there. It's not over for you by a long shot. And frankly, I'm glad Lee is getting out of my area. I'm quite happy to let you take it from here. I've had enough of Lee already. LOL (I had to be out working in it all weekend)

The 4 AM CDT (0900Z) HPC advisory # 15 on Lee:

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/tropical/tropical_advisories.php?storm=LEE&adnum=15&dt=2011090509&status=remnants

From the Discussion and 48-hour Outlook:

LEE HAS BECOME EXTRATROPICAL OVER SOUTHERN LOUISIANA AS IT HAS MERGED WITH A FRONTAL ZONE WITH COOL AND DRY AIR INFILTRATING THE CIRCULATION CENTER FROM THE NORTH AND WEST. THE EXTRATROPICAL LOW CENTER IS EXPECTED TO TURN TOWARDS THE NORTHEAST...BRINGING THE CENTER INTO SOUTHERN MISSISSIPPI TODAY AND INTO ALABAMA ON TUESDAY. TROPICAL MOISTURE ASSOCIATED WITH THE REMNANTS OF LEE WILL CONTINUE TO INTERACT WITH THE FRONTAL ZONE...AND EXTREMELY HEAVY RAIN IS EXPECTED TO FALL IN LOCATIONS WELL IN ADVANCE OF THE CIRCULATION CENTER.

They're going pretty high east of the mtns in SC and NC I think. Has me at between 6" and 7", which I'd love to see happen, but I'm skeptical of that much along the 85 corridor between AHN GSP and CLT area.

I was pretty understanding of their maps from yesterday being way overdone because of what the models were showing, but if these 12z maps from the HPC aren't at least in the ballpark east of the mountains in NC especially it's going to be a pretty horrible bust.

I was pretty understanding of their maps from yesterday being way overdone because of what the models were showing, but if these 12z maps from the HPC aren't at least in the ballpark east of the mountains in NC especially it's going to be a pretty horrible bust.

Well, so far from 8am Sunday through 9am Monday, I have received 0.01".

From a nowcast perspective I think the HPC axis of heaviest precip is a tad too far east. Radar shows heaviest rainfall on a line on Chattanooga-Knoxville line. BTW, the Huntsville radar isnt doing much justice at all to the rainfall rates in the Chattanooga area. Way underdone. CHA has had 3.00" in the past 3 hours.

To be honest its always really tough to forecast rain amounts in the Carolinas, for a bunch of reasons. I've seen enormous busts on the bigger events that are progged. Just last year, several runs of the GFS and NAM and ECM all had the foothills of NC to be the heart of a major flood event, which never happened. Several runs had 10" around my area to Spartanburg, or between here and Asheville. Every one eventually bought into it, self included. I had just over 2" in several days for the final total, and even only .50" to 1" around northern Spartanburg , up to Rutherford County NC, which is a far cry from 9"

post-38-0-64262800-1315227836.gif

post-38-0-48283000-1315227859.gif

Turns out, the heavy rain fell in the least expected spot. The complete opposite happened from what was expected, and the coast got 15" to 20".

post-38-0-96375200-1315228017.gif

Pretty decent shadow showed up in the foothills and northern Upstate, a relative min. of rain there.

post-38-0-23158200-1315228110.jpg

I'm always skeptical of major rain events in this immediate area, outside of a strong El Nino system, or cutoff low travelling along 85. At first I was thinking similar amounts to Fay from 2008, but on this side of the mountains, probably less so now. Alabama and nw GA and eastern TN should bear the brunt.

From a nowcast perspective I think the HPC axis of heaviest precip is a tad too far east. Radar shows heaviest rainfall on a line on Chattanooga-Knoxville line. BTW, the Huntsville radar isnt doing much justice at all to the rainfall rates in the Chattanooga area. Way underdone. CHA has had 3.00" in the past 3 hours.

Remember, it's for three days. With just a hair more push from the front maybe we can get Lee to move a little more east and get that axis over me. I think throughout the day you'll see that area gradually push east.

Was getting a little worried about the rain until I looked at Steves (DaculaWeather) Southeast wide view radar. Hpc may be a little over done for some but there is a bunch of moisture in the SE & plumes of moisture surging in from the gulf over AL & the FL Panhandle. I am not an expert but it seems to me that most of us are in for a good soaking at least. Thanks for the radar Steve!

The sun has been peaking through a good bit the last hour...wasn't expecting that.

hmmmm....did you read gsp's afd? maybe thats not all bad lol.

... If for whatever reason some breaks in the overcast develop into NE Georgia and the upstate of SC...watch out. Think the slight risk looks good and a mention will be made in the severe weather potential statement...

Archived