• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
T.S. Lee

HWY316wx

I hesitated to post this but it's held serve for a few model runs and figured it was worth posting about.

Looking at the GFS, it seems a piece of energy exits off the Texas / LA coast, hangs out in the Gulf for 7 days, turns into a T.S. or CAT 1 Hurricane, moves on shore around Panama City on September 10th and dumps rain on Georgia.

I mean.... really? We for sure could use the rain... I guess the set up just looks hokie to me.

energy1.gif

energy2.gif

energy3.gif

energy4.gif

precip1.gif

precip2.gif

precip3.gif

precip4.gif

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Per the 0z GFS, at Day 5 it has Lee sitting just to the west of FL (991mb).  During Days 6 and 7, he travels through northern FL and up the East Coast spreading heavy rain and some wind inland across GA and eventually into eastern SC/NC.  Not a good look to it and especially after the mess Irene left behind.  

Meanwhile, Katia is bearing down on poor Bermuda (hard to tell from the chart I'm looking at) as she stays away from mainland around this same period as a Cat. 2 (976mb). Wonder what the 0z Euro has to say about all this.

As long as it waits a week we should be ok as the river will be back in her banks by this weekend. The river will be running full but should handle a 2-4" event fine. Now if Katia comes calling then we are in trouble.

00Z GFS looks like a lot more than 2-4" to me. hee-hee

0z and 6z GFS takes the Gulf feature and interacts with a deep trough to provide the feature that blocks Katia from hitting the US...Just by looking at the synoptic setup, looks to me like quite a bit of moisture could get pulled up from the Gulf into the Southeast...maybe another solid "left of track" rain shield.

King Euro still going with the idea from yesterday of stalling a feature in the Western GOM, develop and drift southwest towards lower Texas before getting pulled up and hitting the Upper Texas Coast and moving northeast from that point. That is a very anti-climo track for the Upper Texas coast...that's one reason why I don't buy the Euro solution. I think the GFS has the better general idea.

Where is the 0C line at 850mb. Also I am worried about convective robbing ;).

:lol: :lol:

This morning's GFS splits and speeds up the energy and has totally lost the idea of a LPS forming in the Gulf as I orginally posted. However, it still brings a nice rain event through the heart of the GA piedmont and south GA which could all use some much needed rain. I don't care how or what form it gets here in, we could just use some rain for sure.

post-1314-0-05509300-1314797033.gif

Wow the 12z GFS (from 120hr) just lets this system linger in the SE for a few days before finally pulling it northeast. gradually weakening it. That's gonna add up to a lot of rain for some folks. One area, such as NE GA, on the 72hr total precip map showed nearly 14" by 168!

No doubt!!!...Here's a zoomed in look at the Carolinas...

12zgfsp72int180.gif

The model run is very complex in that the Gulf feature slowly makes it to the Mouth of the Mississippi, maybe a Cat 1 if the model intensity is accurate. Unfortunately the trough does not kick it out, instead it slowly crawls across from Southeast LA to West Central Georgia in a matter of 2-3 days...I also think there is some fujiwara effect going on between this in Katia to where the Gulf feature slows.

Eventually the Gulf Storm phases with the trough over the Southeast and then by Day 7-8, it begins to capture Katia and sends her out to sea.

No doubt!!!...Here's a zoomed in look at the Carolinas...

12zgfsp72int180.gif

The model run is very complex in that the Gulf feature slowly makes it to the Mouth of the Mississippi, maybe a Cat 1 if the model intensity is accurate. Unfortunately the trough does not kick it out, instead it slowly crawls across from Southeast LA to West Central Georgia in a matter of 2-3 days...I also think there is some fujiwara effect going on between this in Katia to where the Gulf feature slows.

Eventually the Gulf Storm phases with the trough over the Southeast and then by Day 7-8, it begins to capture Katia and sends her out to sea.

Bullseye, 12Z GFS paints about 10 inches of rain for my area.... Not in fantasy land either, I'm diggin it..

Thats so yummy. :thumbsup:

But does CLT need any rain at all right now, let alone that much? CLT is above normal in rainfall for the summer as well as for the year.

A good number of people west of Charlotte could use some substancial rainfall...Cleveland and Rutherford Counties in particular. Even where I live along the escarpment, we had a dry August.Of course anything over about 6 inches will result in flooding regardless.

Archived