Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
T.S. Lee

HWY316wx

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12Z NAM just pounds Western Alabama and Central / North Mississippi. I have not looked at rainfall totals yet.

This solution looks more like the front pulls this thing north giving N. Miss, NW Alabama and Southern TN a dumping.

Yep...looks like a winter time phase with the northern stream. Personally I don't want this scenario as that track will leave a lot of people in GA and the western Carolinas wishing for more. So I'll go head and say what I always say in the winter....it's the NAM so take it with a grain of salt.

Does anyone have an opinion about rainfall amounts for the Charlotte area? Given the track I think we appear to do very well, however part of me is a bit skeptical.

That all up in the air at this point in time. The steering currents are weak for the next several days and if the northern stream grabs it then we will all be disappointed. There is not enough consensus yet IMHO to try to speculate on amounts yet for areas especially your way.

Yep...looks like a winter time phase with the northern stream. Personally I don't want this scenario as that track will leave a lot of people in GA and the western Carolinas wishing for more. So I'll go head and say what I always say in the winter....it's the NAM so take it with a grain of salt.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing, it almost looked like a positively tilted phase. Ugh. Usually, correct me if I am wrong, at least in the winter time, phasing like that usually speeds up the system and dries out as it heads East. I am talking winter here, not this particular T.D.

For a dissipating or remnant tropical system, looks like the NAM has the eastern side of the storm much too dry...gotta figure it would throw quite a bit more moisture up from the gulf on its east side (unless it turned out to be one of those weird systems which hit land and completely evaporate....like Don did this year over S. Texas.)

Funny, I was thinking the same thing, it almost looked like a positively tilted phase. Ugh. Usually, correct me if I am wrong, at least in the winter time, phasing like that usually speeds up the system and dries out as it heads East. I am talking winter here, not this particular T.D.

For a dissipating or remnant tropical system, looks like the NAM has the eastern side of the storm much too dry...gotta figure it would throw quite a bit more moisture up from the gulf on its east side (unless it turned out to be one of those weird systems which hit land and completely evaporate....like Don did this year over S. Texas.)

The NAM pretty much transforms it rather quickly into a traditional low from a tropical low as the northern stream phases with it. What you end up with looks like a nice winter time gulf low precip pattern with a nice deformation band to the north and northwest of the low while a squall line forms along the newly formed "cold front" south of the low. On the 1000-500mb thickness maps at 84 hr you can see the 576 line wrapping nicely around the back side of the low as "cooler" air is being pulled in behind the system.

post-347-0-83072800-1314976759.gif

I think part of the reason Don did so badly was because it was already a very weak system, not to mention it was bone dry in south Texas. Like I said I think that was part of the reason for its under performance. I could be wrong.

I think part of the reason Don did so badly was because it was already a very weak system, not to mention it was bone dry in south Texas. Like I said I think that was part of the reason for its under performance. I could be wrong.

You're most likely right......the reason I brought it up is I remember reading the last advisory on that system and the forecaster remarked that he had never seen a tropical system, weak or not, evaporate like Don did. It literally vanished into thin air. Here's to Lee NOT doing the same thing. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Man we need the rain.

You're most likely right......the reason I brought it up is I remember reading the last advisory on that system and the forecaster remarked that he had never seen a tropical system, weak or not, evaporate like Don did. It literally vanished into thin air. Here's to Lee NOT doing the same thing. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Man we need the rain.

We so do. I think GA. Especially central GA needs it the most, but we can all benefit from it. A nice soaking I-85 would be fantastic! Bring it on! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

DISSIPATION OF THIS UPPER-LEVEL LOW AND ITS ATTENDANT DRY AIR INFLUENCE IS FORECAST TO OCCUR IN THE NEXT 24 HOURS...ALLOWING THE SYSTEM TO STRENGTHEN. GIVEN THE SLOW MOTION...LESSENING SHEAR...AND VERY WARM SSTS NEAR 30C THE CYCLONE COULD BE NEAR HURRICANE STRENGTH BEFORE LANDFALL OCCURS IN ABOUT 48 HOURS. THE OFFICIAL INTENSITY FORECAST IS SIMILAR TO THE NHC INTENSITY CONSENSUS MODEL...ICON...WITH THE STATISTICAL MODELS ABOVE AND THE DYNAMICAL MODELS BELOW THE OFFICIAL FORECAST.

Does anyone have an opinion about rainfall amounts for the Charlotte area? Given the track I think we appear to do very well, however part of me is a bit skeptical.

The way Foothills described the pattern back on page 4 looks on cue to me. We're not just dealing with a tropical system that rains itself out over a limited area. The cold front that stalls out over the SE in combination with the moist flow on the east side of the tropical system will provide a prolonged period of rain chances over a large portion of the SE. I'm fully expecting substantial rain in Charlotte next week.

What was the storm we had here in Georgia that dumped 20" of rain in some parts, I want to say it was mid-1990's sometime, I just can't remember the name (it's that old age thing). It just stopped and sat for a day or three.

I just remember MASSIVE flooding and watching TV where they showed rivers that looked like unbelievable torrents of water.

What was the storm we had here in Georgia that dumped 20" of rain in some parts, I want to say it was mid-1990's sometime, I just can't remember the name (it's that old age thing). It just stopped and sat for a day or three.

I just remember MASSIVE flooding and watching TV where they showed rivers that looked like unbelievable torrents of water.

Alberto - I lived in Clayton county at the time and recorded 13" in less than 24hours. Only time my 4" gauge overflowed the 12" recording capacity.

http://www.newscentralga.com/news/local/Central-Georgia-Remembers-Albertos-Flooding-Rains-from-1994-125050174.html

Alberto - I lived in Clayton county at the time and recorded 13" in less than 24hours. Only time my 4" gauge overflowed the 12" recording capacity.

http://www.newscentr...-125050174.html

Yep. I was in Griffin at my Great Aunt's house where she lived in a house surrounded by a pond. Luckily it over flowed the dam before reaching the house, but the dam was our only way to get out. Fortunately we had food and kept power.

If I remember right, caskets were floating in South GA and floating down stream. I remember seeing the footage on t.v.

It's now TS Lee! :) I hate to say it, but the more I look at things, the more and more I think half of us in Georgia will miss out on the bigger rains... I forecasted widespread 2" of rain for my area and even that is looking a bit much... Fortunately though, most of the moisture is on the eastern side of the system for now so here's to it staying rather weak! :drunk:

http://www.newscentr...-125050174.html

Yep. I was in Griffin at my Great Aunt's house where she lived in a house surrounded by a pond. Luckily it over flowed the dam before reaching the house, but the dam was our only way to get out. Fortunately we had food and kept power.

If I remember right, caskets were floating in South GA and floating down stream. I remember seeing the footage on t.v.

That's it! Just an unbelievable amount of rain from that storm, has anyone looked to see if that was a good analog for this current system?

Thanks guys!

It's now TS Lee! :) I hate to say it, but the more I look at things, the more and more I think half of us in Georgia will miss out on the bigger rains... I forecasted widespread 2" of rain for my area and even that is looking a bit much... Fortunately though, most of the moisture is on the eastern side of the system for now so here's to it staying rather weak! :drunk:

Each run of the GFS is starting to scare me more and more that Robert's scenario of Ark / W TN and Northward movement to Kentucky might come true. I still think even the GFS is somewhat out to lunch on a "good" pinpoint solution. At least that is what I am going to tell myself. :banned:

Archived