gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Hurricane Irene - Discussion Part II

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From TWC: National Hurricane Center Director Bill Read laid the threat out plainly: "We are very concerned with what's going to happen in New England. The benchmark is the 1938 hurricane. I am very concerned with what will happen there."

Can you provide a link for that. Bill was the conference in Baltimore..Great guy. For him to say that is big

19 years ago today hurricane Andrew struck just as I was starting my freshman year at U. Miami. The NHC was right across US 1 from campus and they recorded a wind gust of 164 mph just before all the roof top instruments (130' above the ground) were blown down. Obviously not looking for a cat 5, but the sound a major hurricane makes when you are in the eye wall is unmistakable and actually very scary. Sounded kind of like 4 hours of a 747 taking off...just a constant screaming sound.

Anyway, school was closed for a few weeks but the campus itself wasn't too torn up (expect for all the trees).

Liking me and Bob's location here in SE Mass for the good stuff.

From TWC: National Hurricane Center Director Bill Read laid the threat out plainly: "We are very concerned with what's going to happen in New England. The benchmark is the 1938 hurricane. I am very concerned with what will happen there."

Pants tent

We are four days out, a track west would be preferable at this time. Give it another 48 hours before we want any sort of consensus.

With Gloria there was pretty good consensus when it was in about the same position as Irene.

Similar in the sense there were a few eastern outliers.

http://www.gfdl.noaa.gov/bibliography/related_files/mb9302.pdf

Archived