Newest Member
    amirah5
8/21 Severe Threat - Obs/Discussion

Kmlwx

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thx. hard to say by my expert eye

even on a computer im not sure. not a great image. it could be but given the slight here and there rotation that seems like an awfully big funnel. and nws has not warned it.

Nothing at all here, sun is back out. Let's see if there's a round 2.

Looking at frontal position and other surface features in addition to likely airmass recovery since its still early, I have reason to believe more is possible. Watches haven't been trimmed so thats a clue in too. Plus, why would nws issue a Special Weather Statement for storms this afternoon if they were already almost thru the metros.

I feel your pain. I am almost due east of you and nothing much here

Pretty frustrating. Thunder and lightning all around, but it just up and disappeared as it approached.

Friday was the only time we've had much to speak of with any of the region's activity the past few weeks. It's a fairly amazing circumstance.

This is towards the end of the lightning show, at the end of the video I caught some sort of cloud formation that seems mesocyclonic, not sure exactly it confused me greatly as to what I was seeing. Had some Good Strikes nearby in this video on a few occasions.

I'm not saying its a funnel or anything, but does someone maybe have an idea of what it might be? Begins to show up at 5:15 into the vid.

http://www.youtube.com/user/court1100#p/a/u/2/uDWo0Xj23Z0

:)

This is towards the end of the lightning show, at the end of the video I caught some sort of cloud formation that seems mesocyclonic, not sure exactly it confused me greatly as to what I was seeing. Had some Good Strikes nearby in this video on a few occasions.

I'm not saying its a funnel or anything, but does someone maybe have an idea of what it might be? Begins to show up at 5:15 into the vid.

http://www.youtube.c...u/2/uDWo0Xj23Z0

:)

Inflow of scud? I'd be easier to see if it was on a tripod.

Special Weather Statement

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC356 PM EDT SUN AUG 21 2011DCZ001-MDZ003>007-009>011-013-014-016>018-VAZ025>031-036>040-042-050>057-501-502-WVZ052-053-220100-DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA-WASHINGTON-FREDERICK MD-CARROLL-NORTHERN BALTIMORE-HARFORD-MONTGOMERY-HOWARD-SOUTHERN BALTIMORE-PRINCE GEORGES-ANNE ARUNDEL-CHARLES-ST. MARYS-CALVERT-AUGUSTA-ROCKINGHAM-SHENANDOAH-FREDERICK VA-PAGE-WARREN-CLARKE-NELSON-ALBEMARLE-GREENE-MADISON-RAPPAHANNOCK-LOUDOUN-ORANGE-CULPEPER-PRINCE WILLIAM/MANASSAS/MANASSAS PARK-FAIRFAX-ARLINGTON/FALLS CHURCH/ALEXANDRIA-STAFFORD-SPOTSYLVANIA-KING GEORGE-NORTHERN FAUQUIER-SOUTHERN FAUQUIER-BERKELEY-JEFFERSON-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WASHINGTON...HAGERSTOWN...FREDERICK...WESTMINSTER...GAITHERSBURG...COLUMBIA...BALTIMORE...ANNAPOLIS...WALDORF...ST MARYS CITY...STAUNTON...WAYNESBORO...HARRISONBURG...WINCHESTER...FRONT ROYAL...CHARLOTTESVILLE...LEESBURG...CULPEPER...MANASSAS...MANASSAS PARK...FAIRFAX...ALEXANDRIA...FALLS CHURCH...FREDERICKSBURG...WARRENTON...MARTINSBURG...CHARLES TOWN356 PM EDT SUN AUG 21 2011...ANOTHER ROUND OF SEVERE WEATHER EXPECTED TO IMPACT THE GREATERWASHINGTON DC AND BALTIMORE REGION THIS EVENING...AT 355 PM...THE FIRST LINE OF SEVERE WEATHER HAS MOVED EAST OF THEINTERSTATE 95 CORRIDOR. ADDITIONAL SEVERE WEATHER IS EXPECTED TOREFORM BETWEEN 600 PM AND 900 PM AS CONVECTION CURRENTLY OVER WESTVIRGINIA HEADS EAST TOWARDS THE BALTIMORE AND WASHINGTON METROAREAS.A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH IS IN EFFECT FOR MOST OF CENTRAL ANDNORTHERN VIRGINIA...MARYLAND AND WASHINGTON DC. THUNDERSTORMS WILLCONTAIN DAMAGING WIND GUSTS TO 70 MPH...LARGE HAIL AND DANGEROUSCLOUD TO GROUND LIGHTNING. ISOLATED TORNADOES WILL ALSO BE POSSIBLE.IF A WARNING IS ISSUED...SEEK SHELTER INDOORS IMMEDIATELY.REMEMBER...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH MEANS CONDITIONS AREFAVORABLE FOR SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS IN AND CLOSE TO THE WATCHAREA. PERSONS IN THESE AREAS SHOULD BE ON THE LOOKOUT FORTHREATENING WEATHER CONDITIONS AND LISTEN FOR LATER STATEMENTSAND POSSIBLE WARNINGS. SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS CAN AND OCCASIONALLYDO PRODUCE TORNADOES.

Archived